What's the C.O.S. ??

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
http://mothra.implex.net/3M_ESPE_Dental/Final_Lava_COS.wmv

Lava™ Chairside Oral Scanner C.O.S. from 3M ESPE Wins International Design Excellence Award

Prestigious competition honors innovation and design

ST. PAUL, Minn. – (July 21, 2008) – The Lava™ Chairside Oral Scanner C.O.S. from 3M ESPE is the recipient of a 2008 International Design Excellence Award (IDEA),a new BusinessWeek report announced today. The IDEA competition, held annually by the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA),is a celebration of the year’s most innovative and exciting product designs and one of the world’s most prestigious design competitions. The Lava C.O.S., a digital impression system that enables the video capture of dental impressions, was honored with a Bronze IDEA in the Medical & Scientific Products category, one of only 205 honors awarded to a field of more than 1500 entries.

IDEA honorees were selected based on areas of industrial design including design innovation, benefit to the user, benefit to the client/business, benefit to society, ecological responsibility, appropriate aesthetics and appeal, and usability testing. The 2008 IDEA jury, comprised of 20 world-renowned designers and design thinkers, spent weeks previewing entries online and two-and-a-half days of intense, face-to-face evaluation and debate on IDEA.

“The Lava C.O.S. represents a breakthrough in many categories, and the dental industry will be the first to benefit from this inspired design” said Eric Paley, General Manager of Brontes Technologies, the 3M company responsible for the development of the Lava C.O.S. “We’re thrilled that the IDEA jury recognized its capacity to transform the practice of dentistry and the hard work of our team.”

The Lava C.O.S. uses proprietary “3D in Motion” technology to capture continuous 3D video images that create a digital impression used to produce precise-fitting restorations, delivering greater patient comfort and eliminating several time-consuming steps in both the dental office and laboratory. The device combines revolutionary hardware design, high-speed image processing algorithms and real-time modeling software, allowing doctors to instantaneously view the images on a touch screen monitor and review their work while the patient is still in the chair.

In addition to the BusinessWeek report on stands today, IDSA’s quarterly magazine, Innovation, will publish information on the Gold, Bronze and Silver winners as well as the finalists in its Yearbook of Design Excellence this fall. The winners will be honored in a formal ceremony in Phoenix on Saturday, September 13, at the IDSA National Conference & Education Symposium. All 205 winners are featured on the IDSA Web site (IDSA - The Industrial Designers Society of America) with descriptions, photos and contacts.

For more information about the Lava C.O.S., visit Lava™ Chairside Oral Scanner C.O.S Digital 3D Scanner from 3M ESPE US Brontes - digital impressions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About 3M ESPE3M ESPE manufactures and markets more than 2,000 products and services designed to help dental professionals improve their patients' oral health care. 3M Health Care, one of 3M’s six major business segments, provides world-class innovative products and services to help health care professionals improve the practice and delivery of patient care in medical, oral care, drug delivery and health information markets. For more information on the complete 3M ESPE line of dental products visit the 3M ESPE Web site at 3M ESPE Worldwide or call the 3M ESPE Technical Hotline at 1-800-634-2249. Products are available for purchase through authorized 3M ESPE distributors.

3M, ESPE and Lava are trademarks of 3M ESPE or 3M ESPE AG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About IDEA, Industrial Designers & IDSA
The IDEA program fosters business and public understanding about the impact of industrial design excellence on the quality of life and the economy. Industrial designers determine the form, use features and interaction qualities of manufactured products, packaging and digital media systems. They study people at work, at home and in motion to create satisfying experiences with products from the kitchen and the office to the hospital and the warehouse, shaping these to fit their customers and to make effective use of industrial processes. In this way, industrial designers have a quiet but profound presence in almost everything people encounter during the day.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
It is a breakthru in scanning technology!

Like the difference between a casette tape and a BluRay DVD!!

No more series of still pics, but rather a live video scanning session from infinite angles to get the full pic in a very short time.

Thoughts??

ai41.tinypic.com_2zr2mug.jpg
ai41.tinypic.com_2zr2mug.jpg

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I heard art glass was the newest and best thing a while back too........I'll wait till I hear the feedback first from this.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That's funny! Still was a fun trip to CA for me though.
How about DiCor?
Seriously, 3M has the $$ to do their homework for each product they make. Take a step back and look at the company and the whole package.

OK, here's your feedback....
Lava™ Chairside Oral Scanner C.O.S. Digital 3D Scanner from 3M ESPE US Brontes Dentist Testimonials - digital impressions

http://mothra.implex.net/3M_ESPE_Dental/Final_Lava_COS.wmv

I still make teeth, just like you guys. The Emax and other materials are winners, and the Sirona stuff seems to be working. Maybe I'll be working with one of those in the future, who knows?

ai44.tinypic.com_aakqs4.jpg
ai39.tinypic.com_eqqfds.jpg
ai41.tinypic.com_23mr7mg.jpg

I guess you can call me Herb now. Doh!
ai44.tinypic.com_aakqs4.jpg ai39.tinypic.com_eqqfds.jpg ai41.tinypic.com_23mr7mg.jpg

Last edited:
B

bdg

Reaction score
Sounds promising,
Some of our Docs are using the Cerec unit (Not the bluecam)
They have resorted to taking an impression first(Just in case) and sending it to me - then "Trying" to get a good image. If they get a good one - they bring the file back to the lab.

So far the chairside results have been, ummmm - lets call it, less than desirable. (Even when the Rep was here :confused: )
Its going to take a whole lot of "non company" feedback to make the sale w/ them for any scanner...

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I went to a sales presentation on the COS this last week. There were about 27 potential clients at this meeting, I was the only lab. The unit is being sold right now for just shy of 27K there is also a $150 a month service agreement through Shein.

Dr pays anywhere from $20 to $14 a scan based on the volume they do. Worst case a non design center lab will pay $25 for the model-work. If you are a design center you can lower that price by buying the model-work designing software for 7.5k. To be a certified COS lab you have to have 100 sets of models done after buying the model software. I think there are only 2 in the country now, that will change soon.

I brought one client to the meeting that I am certain will buy it, I am on the fence about getting involved with 3m's scanner or buying the software now. I am just really wondering how many OPEN source Oral scanners will hit the market soon. When the worlds largest imp material manufacturer views this as the future I tend to want to believe them. SLA technology seems pretty SciFI to me and made me excited about the future. Getting rid of the model dept. seems wonderful but the 3m is presenting that we the lab owners absorb the cost of the SLA models I think is ridiculous. I understand what they are trying to do I just have a different opinion based on what is actually costs to produce a unit in my lab.

There is a good thread on Dental-Town on this piece of equipment with more info than I have provided here.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Yeah I read that thread John. There is now way I could absorb $25+ dollars for the models.
My wife does 200 to 250 units of model work a month and its part time work for her using monotrac. It would cost me $5000+ for the milled models.

Its not worth it for me till they get the price down. But if enough drs start using it?

I bet there is alot of digital imps going to be mailed to china.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Al ,sure you can afford to eat the $25.+ for the models, just raise your crown fee to $250 a unit like the other lab on DT.......... Al, don't tell any of your doctors this, your work is worth $250. Finding doctors to pay it, now that's another story for another day.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Now if this scanner can come with a milling machine similar to the InLab I would find it much more appealing. Great scanning technology.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Aren't all soda cans the same shape?

Some of the Rock*Star and Amp Energy drinks come in larger/taller cans but the over all diameter stays the same.

Couldn't you keep a data base for Pepsi, Coke, 7-up AND Sprite in the same file? :D

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
One day, we may have an open system where customers can mix Sprite and Coke together in harmony in whatever size can they feel fits their style.:D

They tell us it won't work, but I'll bet it does AND I bet it taste great!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Anyone see the 3M Sprite scanner yet?

Yes I have seen it, since it uses radiation I wonder what kind of permit a lab needs to get it in the lab.

I have only seen a video of it but the detail of the scan is pretty cool.

For those who don't know what this machine does it is used to scan regular impressions and digitizes the impression or model.

Another tool to get away from the plaster bench.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I got a flyer from Zahn they have a Dental Wings 5 axis 3D impression scanner for $12,899.
I dont know what it does or how it is used but thats the price range that will sell anything under 20 grand.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I got a flyer from Zahn they have a Dental Wings 5 axis 3D impression scanner for $12,899.
I dont know what it does or how it is used but thats the price range that will sell anything under 20 grand.

This is an "OPEN SOURCE" scanner. It is what I believe the market will eventually go to. I am not sure if the software is bundled with this but that company makes some very nice equipment.

Which model was it?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
This is an "OPEN SOURCE" scanner. It is what I believe the market will eventually go to. I am not sure if the software is bundled with this but that company makes some very nice equipment.

Which model was it?

DW-IS Impression Scanner.
It dosent say anything about software but the software for the DW-5S and the DW-3S is $8,999.99.

The DW-5S Premium pkg is $34,900
The DW-3s Base pkg is $21,899 + soft ware for both models
The 5 and 3 is axis.
They want $2,999 per yr for a Software Maintenance Cantract.

One yr parts and labor warranty.

C

CogSci

Reaction score
How about DiCor?

About 1990 we did a lot of Dicor crowns in Sweden. Then I took off from dentistry for some years, and when I returned, Dicor had vanished. What happened? :confused:

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
About 1990 we did a lot of Dicor crowns in Sweden. Then I took off from dentistry for some years, and when I returned, Dicor had vanished. What happened? :confused:

Dicor was a wonderful product, very esthetic, if the bonding materials that we have today were around back then the product would of had a much longer life span.

Top Bottom