What's in a Yates & Bird welder?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
A big honkin' transformer, four jacks, a switch, and a light bulb. And wire nuts. Yeah, seriously. For $800 they using wire nuts to connect the cord to the transformer. A cord that's gonna get moved and plastic that will break down.
That's it. Oh, and some paint and marketing.

I got this one second hand and needed to replace the power cord. Heard something go "tink" when I moved it around. It was dropped a few times before it got from A to B by the shipping ppl (I know this as there's no bends or dings on the metal case)

If you look close the yellow wire nut on the hot wire broke and needs replacing.
Real glad I checked! That would be a big mess if the exposed metal contacted anything.Ahhhhh

So, if your welder sounds like there's something moving around in the case when you shake it, unplug it and open it up. Might save a life, a fire, and a bunch of unpleasant time.
The danger isn't that it won't dump the voltage to ground if it touched the case or transformer frame. It will. But that it will do it CONTINUOUSLY until the breaker trips.

GFCI/GFI outlets. Install them everywhere you can. They'd cut it instantly. That's why they are required in new bathrooms and kitchens.

Yeah, I might be overreacting a bit. But, I've also absorbed a lot of voltage. A few times too many. Not looking forward to a repeat, I'm not under 20 anymore.
20181128_183625.jpg
20181128_183636.jpg

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
would you say this transformed your opinion of Yates and Bird ?

Top Bottom