What's different?

doflab0070

doflab0070

Sponsors
What's Different.png

What's different? Let the camera move.

DylandeBoer

DylandeBoer

Is there an increase in quality of scan because the camera rotates or is it strictly QOL change?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Is there an increase in quality of scan because the camera rotates or is it strictly QOL change?
you'd think initially a decrease in quality but increase in scan speed. lower quality because the movement vibration is moving through the cameras. anyone who has used or tried a project like Openscan on Github should be able to attest.

but having said that the photo depicts an easily over-exaggerated swing arm, there really arent scanners that would angle so poorly as to drop the model from the plate.

now, reasons why its better to move the camera instead of the model? well 1. less risk of things like tiny mousse bite regs falling off - although its never a good idea to scan a bite reg for an opposing anyhow. 2. less need to adapt the focus length when the cameras move in a circle around the model center. this makes the photogrammetry math easier. but honestly its a small ease of computation on the cpu.

as to restrictions, well you are now locked in confined space - anything larger than the focal length is going to be innaccurate. i'd want to know exactly what those cubic dimensions are and make a box in clear acrylic, ensuring everything i scan fits in that box.

DylandeBoer

DylandeBoer

you'd think initially a decrease in quality but increase in scan speed. lower quality because the movement vibration is moving through the cameras. anyone who has used or tried a project like Openscan on Github should be able to attest.

but having said that the photo depicts an easily over-exaggerated swing arm, there really arent scanners that would angle so poorly as to drop the model from the plate.

now, reasons why its better to move the camera instead of the model? well 1. less risk of things like tiny mousse bite regs falling off - although its never a good idea to scan a bite reg for an opposing anyhow. 2. less need to adapt the focus length when the cameras move in a circle around the model center. this makes the photogrammetry math easier. but honestly its a small ease of computation on the cpu.

as to restrictions, well you are now locked in confined space - anything larger than the focal length is going to be inaccurate. I'd want to know exactly what those cubic dimensions are and make a box in clear acrylic, ensuring everything I scan fits in that box.
Its about what I figured, considering that fact that i have never once had a model fall off the scanning platform, figured it was just over exaggeration to sell the static model point. I had the impression that if i wanted quality a static camera and moving model would be better all around simply because the model is moved to the point required and ensuring that its in the camera's focus. With a moving camera i would imagine that model placement would require more care and consideration than previously because now that static camera is moving around.

This seems like an odd issue to address/ odd selling point in my mind as this was never an issue for me, increase in scan speed is nice for sure but it seems to be trying to change what didn't need changing for the sake of innovation.

as to restrictions, well you are now locked in confined space - anything larger than the focal length is going to be inaccurate. I'd want to know exactly what those cubic dimensions are and make a box in clear acrylic, ensuring everything I scan fits in that box.
This is what worries me, i would require more extensive testing myself to find the range of accuracy decrease as the camera moves around, static camera in my mind seems like overall better since the point of focus is where the model is brought and there doesn't have to refocus or light balance or numerous other things as changing views will need to be address during the scanning process.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
I have a DOF HD and do a lot of screw retained cases everything fits a verified scanned model.
The best part about the scanner is NO model holder. @rkm rdt, @DylandeBoer , @Glenn Kennedy,That is a game changer.:rolleyes:
I think if I had to go back to using a model holder to scan models I would have to move to Florida and retire.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

I have a DOF HD and do a lot of screw retained cases everything fits a verified scanned model.
The best part about the scanner is NO model holder. @rkm rdt, @DylandeBoer , @Glenn Kennedy,That is a game changer.:rolleyes:
I think if I had to go back to using a model holder to scan models I would have to move to Florida and retire.
good point.
I never considered that , since chl and dylan db made convincing comments.

that could be a game changer.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

@rkm rdt I thought your comment was a reference back to the LMT Chicago thread and the joke about every new product presentation starting with "this is a game changer..."

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

@rkm rdt I thought your comment was a reference back to the LMT Chicago thread and the joke about every new product presentation starting with "this is a game changer..."
It's still being used to this day even though Covid was a game changer.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

@rkm rdt
Covid moved the needle, causing a paradigm shift which made us all think outside the box and take proactive steps to find the low hanging fruit. But at the end of the day, it is what it is and you just need to get your ducks in a row. :cool:

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

@rkm rdt
Covid moved the needle, causing a paradigm shift which made us all think outside the box and take proactive steps to find the low hanging fruit. But at the end of the day, it is what it is and you just need to get your ducks in a row. :cool:
It's a good thing we're all in this together by staying apart .

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
@rkm rdt
moving forward we need to work together for a common goal, push the boundaries of technology, stop saying mindless cliches and see into the future.

G

grantoz

whats covid i think we have had one locally transmitted case in a week .i bet coolhand wishes he was back in oz.but hey we are in this together unless you are trump.

F

FullPartial

I think the industry really needs a model holder swing arm and a camera swing arm combo. At the right harmonic, keeping the CAD spray dust off the scanner while keeping employee engagement at 100% is achieved. I'll await my royalties next year and swiftly retire into oblivion from this god forsaken field! :p

Guest Room
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    Room has been pruned!
    Chat Bot: Room has been pruned!
    Top Bottom