What would you do ?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
They left for the long weekend already...Banghead

After digging through the net for hours, I came to a solution... :Rock: I knew I needed a feew beers to clear my head. It looked like the vertices were all there, only the facets were missing at some areas. After importing it to Meshlab, I started by getting rid of the single large triangle on Q2.
View attachment 32479

Next, I exported the point cloud only , then re-import it again
View attachment 32480

Next I used a function to recalculate the normals for each vertex, need to be able to re-mesh the data. The "hairs" are the normals

View attachment 32481

Meshlab has a convenient function to recreate the mesh called "Screened Poisson Surface Reconstruction" which does the trick, although it takes a few minutes to compute.
View attachment 32482

The result:
View attachment 32483

After inverting the normals:

View attachment 32484

Turned into a solid model with Meshmixer... now's off the the printer and I am left to enjoy my holiday Cheers

View attachment 32485
Thanks for the lesson. Beware a smiling geek. He has an idea he want to try.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
They left for the long weekend already...Banghead

After digging through the net for hours, I came to a solution... :Rock: I knew I needed a feew beers to clear my head. It looked like the vertices were all there, only the facets were missing at some areas. After importing it to Meshlab, I started by getting rid of the single large triangle on Q2.
View attachment 32479

Next, I exported the point cloud only , then re-import it again
View attachment 32480

Next I used a function to recalculate the normals for each vertex, need to be able to re-mesh the data. The "hairs" are the normals

View attachment 32481

Meshlab has a convenient function to recreate the mesh called "Screened Poisson Surface Reconstruction" which does the trick, although it takes a few minutes to compute.
View attachment 32482

The result:
View attachment 32483

After inverting the normals:

View attachment 32484

Turned into a solid model with Meshmixer... now's off the the printer and I am left to enjoy my holiday Cheers

View attachment 32485
Hopefully they are at least buying you beer for all the extra work you had to put in to get that mesh to work.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Yup, one aw $hit wipes out a hundred atta boys!
Dentist that used to be a tech while in school "It doesn't matter if you had any reason, or every reason to do what you did. Even if it's exactly what was asked of you, it is your fault. But the one time it is without a doubt completely totally obvious to everyone in the office the dr messed up suddenly everyone becomes French and its 'Oui'"

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Got this scan the other day -- it looks like somehow the Trios glitched and did not mesh the detailed parts completely -- , the office tried to resend it a couple of times with the same results. I suggested to bring back the pt. for a new scan or PVS, olny to find out the pt. lives two and a half hours away, and she won't make an extra trip for that. "-You gotta do something", they said... What would you do ?
View attachment 32474

It's like getting a bad alginate impression, I never thought about the problem of a dentist sending out bad scans like bad impressions...

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Even though he got the self education going that deep into Meshlab. I'd say that's reasonable. Saved the patient a 5 hour round trip for a rescan.

How is having to reconstruct a scan ( great job btw) any better than accepting a sack for of models and "choosing the best ones"? Do scans like this happen often?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
How is having to reconstruct a scan ( great job btw) any better than accepting a sack for of models and "choosing the best ones"? Do scans like this happen often?
No they don't at all...very rare actually from my side. However, I mostly do medit scans. Each scanner has it's own platform and pathway. Some are just stupid, but some serious progress has been made in the last couple years to make all of them much easier. For folks who don't receive scans on a regular basis, what Zero did here was friggin EPIC!!! Heck of a save, that Doc owes you a open bar tab on a friday night :)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
All that work for 2 inlays?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Adding to what LabGuy said it's really uncommon for scans to be in that bad of shape on arrival. You still need to coach the scanner operators on what you need them to capture and at times nag them to double-check the scans and the bite registration before dismissing the patient.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Adding to what LabGuy said it's really uncommon for scans to be in that bad of shape on arrival. You still need to coach the scanner operators on what you need them to capture and at times nag them to double-check the scans and the bite registration before dismissing the patient.
You also haven't incurred any courier or model work fees.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Or infectious diseases