What Ti base is this?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It's my turn :)

It's a 4.5 TSV, but I'm not sure what company it's from. The patient came from another office to one of my Dr's to get contacts added on to his molar, the previous Dr ground them open.
A standard Zimmer screw is a little sloppy inside and the Dr will need a new screw. It does not match a Zimmer Ti base, it is 3rd party, correct?
It just has the one flat plane.
I'm planning on having the Dr try the crown in to check the contacts, then I'll cement it for him.

TIA

magnifier_20211020_135545.jpg

doug

doug

Reaction score
Can you call the previous office and get the info from them? That's always been the easiest thing for me to do first off.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Both Dr's are local, so I just need to follow up on that. I'm sure one of the oral surgeons here in town placed it, it would be a matter of the other Dr calling their lab (or giving me their phone number) to find out what company they used.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't speak Ti.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
might be easier to ID if we could get a clear shot of the anti-rotation mechanism

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I feel pretty certain I have seen these before but everything that came to mind didn't match when I searched. Part of the difficulty though is that several companies seem to have redesigned their Ti bases to allow for angled screw channels so it's possible this design is no longer in use.

Is there any anti-rotation in addition to the flat side?

Also in my search I stumbled upon this, (https://titanimplants.com/zimmer-de...tment-height-6-0mm-with-ti-screw-p-45tb6h-zd/) which looks quite similar. That said I have never used Ti bases from this company and I do feel like I have used one like the one that you have. Also I don't see any sign of the horizontal retention grooves in the one you have, but those could have been taken off in process.

Another company that comes to mind is B&D Dental, I know I used some of their components in the past but it doesn't appear that they make implant parts anymore.

Glidewell also comes to mind, I couldn't find any images of their Ti bases but a previous lab used them a fair bit.

I know this isn't particularly helpful but hoping it might help jog someone elses memory

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not very good with a smartphone camera and the magnifier app.
Just a flat on one side, without any engaging nob at the base or any grooves.

edit: that's the space between a normal Zimmer screw, and the inside wall.

magnifier_20211020_162957.jpg

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if it wasnt straight walled i'd say it looks a lot like something implant direct might put out.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the replies, I appreciate it.
I'll look into these leads and also see what my account can find out from the patient and the previous Dr.
I'm just hoping the Dr at least kept the original screw, as it was not sent with the crown/abutment.
He only works on Mons and Tues, so I'll find out more then.

doug

doug

Reaction score
BTW, Bill for all of your time spent chasing down what should be something done in his office.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

It's a 4.5 TSV, but I'm not sure what company it's from. The patient came from another office to one of my Dr's to get contacts added on to his molar, the previous Dr ground them open.
A standard Zimmer screw is a little sloppy inside and the Dr will need a new screw. It does not match a Zimmer Ti base, it is 3rd party, correct?
I'm planning on having the Dr try the crown in to check the contacts, then I'll cement it for him.

TIA

View attachment 39596
looks like an Imagine Ti base. I was thinking about this for awhile and knew I had seen it before. matched it up with a spare keystone ti base of theirs i had kicking around. its similar and might just be an Imagine (Mist) base.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
looks like an Imagine Ti base. I was thinking about this for awhile and knew I had seen it before. matched it up with a spare keystone ti base of theirs i had kicking around. its similar and might just be an Imagine (Mist) base.
I got curious and went on their web-site. I have bought from them before, but they do not seem to sell ti-bases anymore. Just scan bodies, analogs and screws...

I thought it looked like what Zahn used to sell a while ago, as their OEM ti-bases. Which may very well be the same as Glidewell.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I think the hardest part of identifying this particular base is that more than one manufacturer over the years has used this basic design and there aren't any major distinguishing factors to tell them apart. Especially when dealing with a base that is used. Add to that the possibility that this part is no longer in production (if it's from a small company they may no longer produce bases, if it's from a larger company they probably have switched to angle changing).

If I were in the situation I would have a conversation with the Dr. explaining the challenge of correctly identifying a base like this and let them know that in order to proceed with this part that you need to the information on what specific part you are dealing with from the original Dr./lab that made/placed the restoration.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I think the hardest part of identifying this particular base is that more than one manufacturer over the years has used this basic design and there aren't any major distinguishing factors to tell them apart. Especially when dealing with a base that is used. Add to that the possibility that this part is no longer in production (if it's from a small company they may no longer produce bases, if it's from a larger company they probably have switched to angle changing).

If I were in the situation I would have a conversation with the Dr. explaining the challenge of correctly identifying a base like this and let them know that in order to proceed with this part that you need to the information on what specific part you are dealing with from the original Dr./lab that made/placed the restoration.

And that if we can't identify the vendor, we may have to start over, as my main concern is getting the right screw. The base is fine, the crown is fine, it's just that pesky screw we need to get right. I'll follow up with you all on where this goes.

Do I find a screw that we can "make work" and clear myself of any responsibility if it doesn't work? I guess part of the saving grace in this case is that it is screw retained, as long as a screw doesn't break off in the implant body. Again, I hope he still has the original screw, but I wouldn't count on it, oh me of little faith :) Still, in all of my experience, it's always good protocol to use a new screw when an abutment has been removed from the implant.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
that's a 3.5 interface.. why not just get a cheap ti-base and redo it right..
you don't want to ever re-use/re-torque a screw.. with that said, my vote is on Glidwell ti-base

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Having to start over would certainly be unfortunate but the best path if the part can't be identified.

If at all possible I would stay away from "make work" solutions for something like this and if the dr. required it I would definitely clear yourself of responsibility. I don't know if it truly will compromise the final restoration to do this, but I could imagine that if the screw head doesn't properly engage the base (creating more of a point contact rather than two surfaces flush against each other) that forces on the restoration could potentially cause loosening down the road. I get pretty paranoid about that type of thing though so I could be overcomplicating.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
that's a 3.5 interface.. why not just get a cheap ti-base and redo it right..
you don't want to ever re-use/re-torque a screw.. with that said, my vote is on Glidwell ti-base
I don't think anybody wants to remake another labs screw retained crowns for free, especially also covering part costs

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
understandable.. a new screw will cost what? a new base comes with one..
the cost is what? when it comes back repeatedly? $50 is pretty cheap when it comes to implant restorations... so what will the cost then be when the restoration won't stay seated? Or, again, as stated, the screw breaks.. s*it-show on the Horrizon IMO.

Top Bottom