What kind of mill do you own? and what's the lifespan?

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I get it, good for them, expensive for us. Going back to my first post.. 'how would they make any money after they sell you the mill?' The old maytag repair man comes to mind.
I would argue that isn't expensive... it's good for us because we get the service. The point was that if they only charged for what they did they would not be able to employ the people to offer the service so if you make it a per call bases you completely lose the service and then we all lose.

Is your point that you want companies that offer good products and support to go away? I don't think any company uses a business plan that doesn't allow them to pay employees

R

Rockmuscle

Reaction score
I get it, good for them, expensive for us. Going back to my first post.. 'how would they make any money after they sell you the mill?' The old maytag repair man comes to mind.
obamacare

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Im not disagreeing with you. Its just disappointing to pay $2000 to fix an issue with a windows update that takes a couple minutes. Ive had to wait up until 2-3am to wait for the Koreans to fix my mill many times, and they even flew out to repair it, thats another story, but it didnt cost me anything.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Im not disagreeing with you. Its just disappointing to pay $2000 to fix an issue with a windows update that takes a couple minutes. Ive had to wait up until 2-3am to wait for the Koreans to fix my mill many times, and they even flew out to repair it, thats another story, but it didnt cost me anything.
Well I certainly agree that it is disappointing in that sense. I just try to take a perspective that isn't such a bummer 😂 So I look at fees like that as "paying for the service to exist" rather than paying for the specific support I happen to need within the given timeframe.

When either framing is accurate and functional, I try to pick the one that doesn't make me feel worse

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Yeah it seems like a a lot, but if I was logging onto my computer late at night to help some guy out in a different time zone, I'd want to get paid something worthwhile too. It is what it is in this industry. I am super busy so I am not complaining to much about it.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
So then why as a lab owner, do you not charge your clients a yearly service fee to handle all of their problems with your product, if that is your philosophy?

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Because we are offering permanent restorations that are meant to last, not intricate machinery that needs to be maintained, serviced, and will likely need parts at some point

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the warranty on a mill is like 2 years. the warranty on most dental work is 10 years +

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I guess a device that chews everything that goes past your lips doesnt get as much wear.. Were not talking about worn parts though, were talking about a standard windows update..

So you would pay a mechanic or a car dealer a yearly fee, in hopes that when you have an issue, he will diagnose it for free? Im not saying the cost of parts or labor, thats extra..

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
half of our mills dont run windows

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I guess a device that chews everything that goes past your lips doesnt get as much wear.. Were not talking about worn parts though, were talking about a standard windows update..

So you would pay a mechanic or a car dealer a yearly fee, in hopes that when you have an issue, he will diagnose it for free? Im not saying the cost of parts or labor, thats extra..
From my understanding of the issue, the windows update fixed it? If you need a support call to fix something that can be solved with a windows update, you are, like most people, someone who needs the support package. If you only need it once or twice a year, then you have found a really reliable product which is great.

people buy the extended warranties so....

M

mmbh

Reaction score
From my understanding of the issue, the windows update fixed it? If you need a support call to fix something that can be solved with a windows update, you are, like most people, someone who needs the support package. If you only need it once or twice a year, then you have found a really reliable product which is great.

people buy the extended warranties so....
The windows update reset some stuff on my hyperdent cam software, in which I didn't know how to fix. I resolve most of our general tech issues when needed but I learned long ago that when it comes to mission critical equipment, its needs to be running and making me money. I've had a few other issues but they were software related. The hardware has been rock solid fortunately.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I run win7 with updates turned off. Very stable. But not for long :(
Most of my issues are software related too. My hyperdent went down also, called imagine, they fixed it in 5 minutes, no contract, no charge. :Hello:

M

mmbh

Reaction score
I run win7 with updates turned off. Very stable. But not for long :(
Most of my issues are software related too. My hyperdent went down also, called imagine, they fixed it in 5 minutes, no contract, no charge. :Hello:
Nice. I have one pc left with windows 7 as well. Its to bad, I actually liked windows 7 okay.

Top Bottom