What kind of glass?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Wasn't there a porcelain or core they had problems with cracking or delamination, where they came up with e.ceram?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a porcelain or core they had problems with cracking or delamination, where they came up with e.ceram?
No, you’re right, a lot of people had problems with it, but for some reason we never did. It was the layering material for Empress 2. They took it back and replaced it with e.max ceram.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
No, you’re right, a lot of people had problems with it, but for some reason we never did. It was the layering material for Empress 2. They took it back and replaced it with e.max ceram.
Correct. The layering porcelain for the Empress 2 ingots/cores, also called Empress 2, had issues. If I remember correctly, it infiltrated the core and weakened it. Subsequently it was replaced with Eris for E2. The core material stayed the same.

In 2005, the E.max line replaced it. E.max-press and e.max-ceram are an evolution of Empress 2 and Eris. My understanding is, some opinion leaders started to test and us it up to 5 years before market launch.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I'm looking to start playing with C&B again. I have a great glass shop (not that kind) that while staffed by temperamental persons, they have got it on the ball.

If I want to use a glass slab for playing with my stuff, is there a better glass type than another?

All I know is get real glass and not a polycarbonate.
Hey JMN

While a fancy glass slab might look nice, I am more of the idea it has to be functional. A good brush, liquid and your skills have much more weigh on the outcome than the glass... ;-)

As for what I use: After extensively trying the U-mid set up, I went back to a common glass insert for the Smile line 'classic tray'. It is good sized and you can cover the porcelain. As for U-mid, I didn't like the gooeyness of the liquid after a couple days of using it.
As for brushes, I use the Renfert 'lay:art style' line. Since I use Ivoclar's layering porcelains, I also use their modeling liquids.

Also be aware of the tools you use to mix your porcelain. For example, don't scrape your metal spatulas our the tray, or you might have some nice discolorations...

However, the whole layering thingy is fading away, anyways... Long live monolithic!!!

Vroam

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I have a 3/8ths inch slab that I used to use before I invested in a wet tray. It's to big and heavy. I think the smaller and thinner one I use now for laying out paste opaques, add on porc etc is from a overhead kitchen stove light, using the smooth side. (or the glass from an old overhead microwave)

A thinner one you can find around home could be brittle, but it's easier to put off to the side or set it on top of something else, compared to a slab that is bigger, thicker and heavier.

A photo of the glass beast I had cut from a glass shop, and the overhead kitchen stove light glass, which is probably tempered and is the one I use for misc stuff.

20200613_151818.jpg

20200613_151905.jpg