what is a good casting machine that is inexpensive and ok to use for a small lab about 400 units/mo

A

AKDental

Reaction score
hi i was wondering if there is a casting machine on the market that is not way up there in price that a lab that does about 300-400 units per month pfms(nonprecious) could buy. All of the casting machine that i have seen are way too expensive, like 6-15 thousand dollars which is too much to justify getting one. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative that is available. Im currently using an old centrigual i think Kerr casting machine, but i dont lilke working with the torch and the gas/fuel and all that....anyways, any advice would be appreciated
thanks.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
hi i was wondering if there is a casting machine on the market that is not way up there in price that a lab that does about 300-400 units per month pfms(nonprecious) could buy. All of the casting machine that i have seen are way too expensive, like 6-15 thousand dollars which is too much to justify getting one. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative that is available. Im currently using an old centrigual i think Kerr casting machine, but i dont lilke working with the torch and the gas/fuel and all that....anyways, any advice would be appreciated
thanks.
Is this running high capacity over an 8 hour period with 16 hours downtime, or are you spreading this workload out over a 16 or even 24 hour day?

A

AKDental

Reaction score
all the casting is done in a few hour period and sometimes split up a little. Like maybe one of two rings done in the morning and then a few more later on in the late afternoon.

A

AKDental

Reaction score
btw thanks for replying so quickly, i really like having other lab techs or otherwise experienced persons that are available and willing to
help out another. its awesome.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with casting machines. I like getting paid to play with fire! But I wanted to get some more info for someone whomdoes have the experience to bw able to give accurate and useful answers.

It's fun here man! A few hundred techs can come up woth a solution for everything.

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
If you are casting that many units a month, you can afford a lease with a buy-out at the end of the lease. Get a hold of CMP for a good machine that is not overpriced. If you don't like the torch, you'll love induction casting. Better fits, way better and NO miscasts.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Small lab doing 400 cast units a month, interesting. I have 1 older Dr who still does a lot of HN crowns (and emax),the younger ones are mostly ZI and emax.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Been using this for 30 years. Just as zzmooth as ever. Actually I have two. Dont ask me why but I do.

Attachments

• 20180302_201001.jpg
    20180302_201001.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 71
A

aqdental

Reaction score
thanks.
AK dental, 3/400 units a month I would buy a GOOD casting machine or if you are into digital look for a good deal for sml cocr. Just my 2 cent.

A

AKDental

Reaction score
sorry i think i might have confused some people. i meant copings not full metal cast.

A

AKDental

Reaction score
and i started doing zirconia about almost a year ago now. and was doing about 60 units or so per month.
But, doing a little less zir now as one of my accounts changed to mostly pfms. :(

A

AKDental

Reaction score
oh i see well, we are only 6 employees so i figure we are a small lab
i guess we kinda do some volume but these are cheap non precious pfms that we
are mainly doing. i know everyone is switching to all ceramic nowadays but some
of these dentists (for multiple different reasons) are not willing to switch over. it is kinda slave labor.
and we are not making enough profit working sometimes 7 days a week....u know...i don't want
to get into it too much cuz its probably gonna cause some members "p.t.s.d." flashbacks.
am i right?

A

AKDental

Reaction score
oh and what is the "sml"in sml cocr referring to?

A

aqdental

Reaction score
oh and what is the "sml"in sml cocr referring to?
Hi AK, slm selective laser melting,3d laser printed metal. All you need is scanner and cad. With your volume it may be worth looking into it.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
So, this is how to make a $39.00 crown. I've always wondered. Are you off shore? How do you deliver this?

technician

technician

Reaction score
thanks.

300-400 units per month and that's a small lab......then we are so tiny tiny lab....but we have no casting machine only cad/cam...I'm impressed! F****ng hate waxing...yes really......hello 2018 and not have been casting anything for 6 years now....and we are leaving work 5pm......but if tee time on Wednesday then its 2 pm :) You guys that are doing crowns and other stuff manually....true heroes, -NO REALLY!.......I know...30 years in dental lab businesses. Go CAD/CAM so much fun!:)

B

bee gee

Reaction score
thanks.

a small lab doing 400 castings a month, definitely sounds like a lot of overtime in there

Top Bottom