What handpiece do you recommend

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I kinda hate most Dental handpieces compared to this.

I think these guys are trying to make ya go broke.
$900 for an electric handpiece!!!! WOW! phucthat

The exposed collet. The bulky motor is very far from business end making the center of gravity too far from center of you hand. Some, like the lever-action NSK sold by Brasseler and others, have a tiny nose section that is too thin for a Male to grip. Who holds a handpiece like a pencil anyway???

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I guess I need to eat my words!

I'm looking around and forgot I spent $900 on four NSK Aqua high speeds
and I have many many regular NSK air-turbines without water. I do love those and feel they are worth the $$. I guess to each his own?

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
update~I'm in Love

I love my NSK Volvere VMax Standard Micromotor System from Avtec.com for 880. It is so quiet and a great workhorse. No complaints at all!!
Again, many thanks for all of the feedback everyone shared with me about their choose of handpieces. I even shared my delight with one of my doctors and he bought one too and loves it.:D

trisha

J

JOL

Reaction score
Trisha,

How do you compare it the Great Lakes handpiece you have been using? If you could, please give your pluses and minuses. I have 2 GL handpieces and have been thinking about switching to electric but am wary they wont have enough torque and top end speed.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Sure~ I to was weary about the speed. For what I use this for (orthodontic lab) anything over 35,000rpm's is overkill.
1) it is a real workhorse
2) very very quiet, you'd be surprised
3) I really like the fact that I can adjust the speed to not exceed a certain amount, especially when I am using a burr that does not work well at high speeds. I have more control then I did with just a foot pedal driven by a compressor
4) Much easier maintenance, I do not have to put drops into the handpiece to keep it lubricated. Once a week I take the collet out, hose it off and lubricate w/ just a dab of oil and reinsert the collet

5) not having to use a compressor
6) quick change of burrs, no need for stopping and using the wrench to change out burr.

Only regret~ I did not get one sooner!

Hope that was helpful, feel free to ask me any other questions about it

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Sure~ I to was weary about the speed. For what I use this for (orthodontic lab) anything over 35,000rpm's is overkill.
1) it is a real workhorse
2) very very quiet, you'd be surprised
3) I really like the fact that I can adjust the speed to not exceed a certain amount, especially when I am using a burr that does not work well at high speeds. I have more control then I did with just a foot pedal driven by a compressor
4) Much easier maintenance, I do not have to put drops into the handpiece to keep it lubricated. Once a week I take the collet out, hose it off and lubricate w/ just a dab of oil and reinsert the collet

5) not having to use a compressor
6) quick change of burrs, no need for stopping and using the wrench to change out burr.

Only regret~ I did not get one sooner!

Hope that was helpful, feel free to ask me any other questions about it

Wait what you to do something to care for your handpiece? I dunno I buy mine for 80.00 off ebay the last a couple of years, no tool needed to release bur either, maybe I should buy a good one

K

kdental

Reaction score
hello there ,i am shopping around for another nsk ,i got one and i am super impressed but i was thinking if there is some like a copy of the nsk.
So my question are :is this Korean micromotor the one that John Talks about ,is it brushles ,is it comparable to NSK
There are some on Ebay Yellow for about 600$ ,are you guys talking about those

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micromotor-...ultDomain_0&hash=item2319b6d9b5#ht_4437wt_952

Thank you

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
NailDrill.com

I love these! We have around twenty of them. All metal and very short. No exposed collet to hit fingers. Not too thin, Not too thick. For shipping only, I'll let ya borrow one if you want? I score them on ebay sometimes for $99. They have five ball-bearings and three in the nose section. I have some that are eight years old! They take a dropping with no problem.

I plug them into my 36 Volt Dental control box. The handpiece is used with 24Volt for the Nail industry. Do not order the Nail control boxes.

I get them from RAM in NJ, AKA Cinby on ebay. Dude sells Dental stuff as well, but I'm telling ya what. These are great!

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0355.jpg

how heavy are they in comparison?
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0355.jpg

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
I would also look at Lincoln Dental's L500. Its a generic NSK, with the same motors and hand piece. Couple hundred cheaper, and your getting the same product. Speak to Neal.

M

maxdentalsupply

Reaction score
it seems that these handpices are very expensive,we can provide a more reasonable pirce with FDA certification

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
50k is way too much. 40k is pushing it, I wish the old lathe was closer to 10k rpms than the 5k it is other wise I would never use my headpiece.

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
What is a good torque for working mainly with plastics? Rarely with metals. 3D printing resins, PMMA, nylon, PLA etc. I know rpm doesn't need to exceed 30000.

I have only used NSK micromotor with Z500 control box, but I don't know what handpiece it was. Loved that thing, but it is discontinued and there have been discussion about the new NSK's issues.
- The micromotor wouldn't be used as much as in dental laboratory, but it should be reliable.
- Budget for the handpiece and control box around 1000 euros (1,097 USD).
- S-M sized hands, so the biggest and bulkiest handpiece might not be the best.
- Max. speed limit is a must feature. Learned my lesson..
- Must be for sale in Europe.

Could some of the Marathon's or SAESHIN models be sufficient?

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Well its been 10 years and my kool torque is pretty tired! I was gonna send it in for the 3rd time to get refurbished and decided just to bite the bullet and buy a new handpiece. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Should I stick with Kool-Torque or venture out??????

Trisha
Volvere I have one for the last 27 years. The newer ones are brushless but not cheap. You get what you pay for.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
I use the NSK UltimateXL
Best hand piece I have used.
It's a very comfy workhorse.