What handpiece do you recommend

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Well its been 10 years and my kool torque is pretty tired! I was gonna send it in for the 3rd time to get refurbished and decided just to bite the bullet and buy a new handpiece. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Should I stick with Kool-Torque or venture out??????

Trisha

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Trisha,
I have had NSK-Vmax for around 6 years- no problems, runs very smooth, chuck is starting to slip a little

My boss/ father NSK ultimate 400 for 15 years - only had to replace 2 chucks
dont think they make this model anymore but it is great

hope this hepls
Greg Amendola MDT

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Hi Trisha depending on what you use it for and you torque requirements will determine how much you want/need to spend. I have spent from the highest to the lowest over the years and you really do get what you pay for. With that being said, the right individual who is meticulous with its use and cleaning can get by with a non sealed unit for under $450. There are tons of them on ebay and all of them are about the same.

For about double that you can get a NSK Z500 which is a real good hand piece that is sealed and very quiet. There are a couple different hand piece models that have more or less torque. Obviously the higher torque means more copper in the motor which means more weight.

On the very high end is Kavo. I have a a two of their new KPOWERgrip and although they are very fine I am not sure I would justify the high price again. We shall see how they hold up in comparison to the Z500's

There is a new vendor on ebay that is selling Korean made hand pieces for around $450-$600 that appear to be very fine quality. They are yellow in color and I have been researching/talking to the company via Alibaba.com about trying one out. I will update DLN with my findings.

From time to time NEW old stock Osada's come up on ebay and they to are a very fine NON sealed handpiece. They are a solid Japanese quality and will last if cared for.

Good luck,
John

user name

user name

Reaction score
Totally go for the Z500, but the lesser torque of the two is pleanty for any job, and I was told is more comfortable in a typically smaller womans hand. Had mine almost 9 years...no chuck changes, no slips, awsome.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen.

I am looking at the Volvere Vmax Standard Pack or the E-Type Micromotor System on Avtecs website. Do any of you have a preference to one or the other? Thank you for your time and help. This is a smaller version V-max.
trisha

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Or should I just spend the extra 500 and get the NSK Ultimate XL bench top lap system? Your thoughts?? the smaller only goes up to 35000rpm?? vs NSK Ultimate that goes up to 50000 rpm. Would that really make a signifigant difference??? Sorry so clueless.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have used that unit and its good, I still prefer the Z500 over it. Call Shawn at Nowak dental tell him I referred you and I think he will give you a better price.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Thank you John, I am calling him right now!!!

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
i don't think you need the 50.000 rpm. I never go above 25000.
The nsk are great, but recently (2 years ago )i got a korean micromotor that's running fine, no problem at all.
As john said, it you keep it clean, and don't open the chuck while still running, it will last long.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
NSK, all the way. Great handpieces. And I like the safety depress feature on the rotary knob to use at speeds over 40K rpm.

SAFETY: When using thes instruments above 35k rpm. Burs with larger cutting heads tend to wobble and bend even break; and can cause serious injury.

I would recommend cutting/shortening the shank 9mm, so the bead of the bur seats very low/closer to the chuck. This eliminates that dangerous wobble.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
NSK, all the way. Great handpieces. And I like the safety depress feature on the rotary knob to use at speeds over 40K rpm.

SAFETY: When using thes instruments above 35k rpm. Burs with larger cutting heads tend to wobble and bend even break; and can cause serious injury.

I would recommend cutting/shortening the shank 9mm, so the bead of the bur seats very low/closer to the chuck. This eliminates that dangerous wobble.

So true, nothing is worse than when you switch to a rubber wheel and forget to reduce the speed.

Also Trisha I am sorry Shawn couldn't help you out I guess that Brassler/Schein have an exclusivity on the Z500 now days. Seems odd as you can get NSK stuff almost everywhere.

In any event please don't rule Shawn out, he is one of the good guys out there.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
I believe that I will be going with the NSK brand. I will keep you posted on what I order and from who.
John~ I will keep Shawn in mind for any other items, always more enjoyable doing business with the good guys!

Many many thanks everyone, especially for taking time out of your busy day to help me make a more informed decision!! Time is the most valuable gift thanks for sharing yours with me!

trisha

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
trisha, you're welcomed. Hey check with braessler, the may have some open box specials with full warranty and le$$ .

C

charles007

Reaction score
NSK Z500 if you want a long lasting handpiece....... But you can buy a good one for 1/2 the price......$900 is not cheap........ Call Shawn at Nowak, he sells one for around $400. can't remember the name ?

Forget about the speed 50,000 rpms ..very scary, will put your eye out !!! fingers... No tech uses a hand piece at those high speeds.........

Charles

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
osada

Osada...Of the various handpieces i have used this on is the best! it has one tough motor that never slags or slows down when you are doing alot of heavy grinding. Love it!!!

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
If you can get your hands on a NSK ultimate500, I'd recommend that one. ( I think that they are discontinued though) We have 2 of those in the lab and 3 NSK XL's. The chucks have slipped and bearings replaced on the xl's far more often than the 500. I have a few other tech friends that have similar experiences.
The 500 is a workhorse and won't let you down.

G

gigglingnewt

Reaction score
NSK all the way. We have XL and Ultimate 500 models. I agree with the never needing to go over 30,000 revs sentiment.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
The majority of you have recommended NSK so I am planning on purchasing a NSK Volvere VMax Standard Micromotor System from Avtec.com for 880.00. the speed goes up to 35000. I will wait and purchase tomorrow if anyone has any feedback .

Many Thanks, trisha

C

charles007

Reaction score
Trisha, I paid about $900, less than $950 for my Z500 at Zahn, under the Zahn name ..Its a NSK..exact same handpiece. The 500 is brushless, Volvere is not...I'm sure the Volvere if fine, great.... May want to check out a few more dealers if you want the Z500...... 35000 rpms is fine, you will never crank one up to 50,000, no matter what handpiece you buy..

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
NailDrill.com

I love these! We have around twenty of them. All metal and very short. No exposed collet to hit fingers. Not too thin, Not too thick. For shipping only, I'll let ya borrow one if you want? I score them on ebay sometimes for $99. They have five ball-bearings and three in the nose section. I have some that are eight years old! They take a dropping with no problem.

I plug them into my 36 Volt Dental control box. The handpiece is used with 24Volt for the Nail industry. Do not order the Nail control boxes.

I get them from RAM in NJ, AKA Cinby on ebay. Dude sells Dental stuff as well, but I'm telling ya what. These are great!

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0355.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0355.jpg

Last edited: