What do you guys think let me know

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
Work in a lab with 3 Roland 52D Series mill, i used to mill it before. We have a new mill tech, my manager told him to replace the zirconia diamond coated bur every 90hrs it reach. No matter what. Some of the bur runs 120hrs. What do you guys think? Isn’t that a waste of money? If there is no issue with the outcome of the mill, like no issue/chip on the margin.

Yesterday i get to mill, i had used the 1.0mm bur over 100hrs, its still milling perfectly on the margin no chips.

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
Good processes do not wait for bad quality; good processes prevent bad quality from occurring in the first place.

I would:
DO what the manager wants unless you are the one financially responsible for the entire process including tooling cost, material cost, cost of lost customers, etc. OR you have a monetary incentive (bonus plan) to find cost savings for the lab.

I know I would hate to load up a blank with 20 units to mill and have all 20 units have to be remilled because we push the tool to failure instead of proactively replacing it.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We run a PM7 with diamond coated tools. We replace them at 100 hours and don't worry about it.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I remember CAP was only placing 15 units per disk max no need to cram the disk and utilize 100% of it. This was it keep consistency. I run my tools till the end. Or i have hr limits on certain ones. Works like a charm for me. Wieland Premium on the hybrid select and or sierra Nano di's 150 hours then change.

Top Bottom