What could cause this?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I still say this is a bur issue...maybe not the right burs, not diamond coated (ultra diamond). We replace our zirconia burs at 35 hours, therefore 20 hours wouldn't be outside the norm if it's a generic brand of burs. You need some different burs!!!

T

TaylorP

Reaction score
I realized that as well. The bur causing the offense was the 2mm, and it was close to 30 hours, but it was also a CAP ultra bur. I replaced it with one of TD's diamonds, and the problem is gone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I realized that as well. The bur causing the offense was the 2mm, and it was close to 30 hours, but it was also a CAP ultra bur. I replaced it with one of TD's diamonds, and the problem is gone.

i just had a talk with CAP rep about their ultras. i was seeing less than half the life they claimed, and for $160 each thats absurd. i ran nearly 3x the life on TD diamond coated burs and they are far less pricey....i told CAP this too. currently testing some ToolMack carbides, and may consider Sierra Nano tools, but not sure i can eat the cost difference if the TD burs will do the same job for 2-3x as long

T

TaylorP

Reaction score
From Bob:

when beginning a new puck for milling, put the tool holder up and you can carefully nest outside the puck on the left side.

also, i try to only mill a half dozen or so at a time. which allows for better grouping and milling "outside" the puck on the next batch. end result as you can see, there is a lot of overlap but in reality they were different mill jobs so i didn't hit any units still in the puck. and as you can see....there's a lot more in there

obviously as you move in toward the puck holder, don't nest too close or you'll hit it. and my guess is that your little chip issue may have been from a slight tap against the holder.

9d8986a57abe6beb2fc394843994d9fa.jpg

74f3b00f3b0e51a782c48235f26e6a91.jpg

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
i just had a talk with CAP rep about their ultras. i was seeing less than half the life they claimed, and for $160 each thats absurd. i ran nearly 3x the life on TD diamond coated burs and they are far less pricey....i told CAP this too. currently testing some ToolMack carbides, and may consider Sierra Nano tools, but not sure i can eat the cost difference if the TD burs will do the same job for 2-3x as long

Good Info Bob, the next time I order I'm going to try Ron's burs at TD.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

Awesome, sounds like it was the burs :) Keep us posted

Monkey w/ a tourch

Monkey w/ a tourch

Reaction score
TD's? Please to be telling me what company is that? (I'll probably slap myself on the forehead once someone responds)

Monkey w/ a tourch

Monkey w/ a tourch

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll have to let my boss know. Never heard anyone mention them before

E

erykd1

Reaction score
+1 on TDs Roland burs. Been using them for a couple months and they last just as long as name brand. Price is fantastic too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom