What came first the chicken or the egg? Should I design and outsource print, or go all in?

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im currently going through a transitioning process that is going towards digital dentures. We have the scanner (DOF),CAD (exocad) but no printer yet. The scanner and software have already returned their investment (crowns) and the printer would be the next logical step. We are looking at printing dentures primary (besides model among other things) but have not upgraded to the denture module and the training necessary to design. What is the best course of action? Option 1) Upgrade to denture module, get training, design, and buy printer. Option 2) Upgrade to denture module, design, and outsource print.

I know their is a learning curve for both designing and printing that one must go through in addition to print options (closed vs open, materials, post cure light boxes). What Im really after is if you had the chance to go back and have a do over what would be your best approach. Thanks in advance for the advice and wisdom.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
there is no right answer here IMHO.
you are correct, theres a steep learning curve either path. so it comes down to tolerances and time. (and capital too but since you didnt mention it...)

option 1, do you have the bodies and time to dedicate to this method? if so, its completely viable....though printed dentures are their own beast, and the sales guys like to promote them as wondrous. i would say most if not all digital dentures are sub-economy. there is a large market for that, so if its your route, go for it!

option 2, might be a better option unless you know exactly what you want to purchase for printing. this way you could sample a variety of printers and print material without the possibility of a large OOPSIE on the purchasing side of things.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Sideshow Bob thanks for your advice. Our current lab size is 2 and will be 1 as my father retires in about 2 years. I’m trying to ride the digital denture wave before it leaves only the late adopters behind. My mind set is get in now as my analog skill (always room to improve) holds it own. My father and I are the “ do it all kind of technician” but that comes at a high price with time and energy. I don’t want to be dependent only on analog when I can find some middle ground that helps me to accomplish a higher workload with digital workflows. So your input helps as well as everyone else who can offer advice from their experience. Thanks.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite...

who came first.jpeg

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Sideshow Bob thanks for your advice. Our current lab size is 2 and will be 1 as my father retires in about 2 years. I’m trying to ride the digital denture wave before it leaves only the late adopters behind. My mind set is get in now as my analog skill (always room to improve) holds it own. My father and I are the “ do it all kind of technician” but that comes at a high price with time and energy. I don’t want to be dependent only on analog when I can find some middle ground that helps me to accomplish a higher workload with digital workflows. So your input helps as well as everyone else who can offer advice from their experience. Thanks.
its tricky, wish there was a good solution. but we each have our own hurdles and how we address them. good luck on your adventure with digital dentures! please post and let us know what you decide and how its going for you

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Quick update, I decided to buy the exocad demo dongle instead of paying the upgrade fee plus the necessary module add-ons and begin training. The demo dongle was $175 plus shipping as opposed to $4,700 for the new software. This option allows me the train with the software, cut down on my design time and most importantly find solutions to specific design issues I'm having. I don't have to stress about trying to get a ROI asap. Also on a side note and completely out of the blue we were gifted (not a typo) a Moonray S printer from a good friends lab. To say we were blessed is an understatement. As of now I'm designing daily with demo dongle and starting to play around with the printer. Will keep you posted on future updates.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Quick update, I decided to buy the exocad demo dongle instead of paying the upgrade fee plus the necessary module add-ons and begin training. The demo dongle was $175 plus shipping as opposed to $4,700 for the new software. This option allows me the train with the software, cut down on my design time and most importantly find solutions to specific design issues I'm having. I don't have to stress about trying to get a ROI asap. Also on a side note and completely out of the blue we were gifted (not a typo) a Moonray S printer from a good friends lab. To say we were blessed is an understatement. As of now I'm designing daily with demo dongle and starting to play around with the printer. Will keep you posted on future updates.
Curious how this is going for you?

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Curious how this is going for you?
So in September we took advantage of the exocad unlimited bundle sale that was close to 50% off. The price for just denture and partial module were only about $1,000 difference so we opted for the ultimate. We were also gifted a Moonray S printer from a close lab. We started printing denture designs of cases we are doing currently. Not to give to the doctor but to verify contacts and estetics and see where to improve. The plan is to start offering digital dentures by 2022.

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
I'm too late. You're already all in. I wish your dad a happy retirement. But I really wish for you to have time away from the lab! Being a do it all kinda guy is not a lifestyle, and a bad idea, IMO, (and I do it every day- dentures, cast partials, c&b, porcelain, etc),and I am not far behind your dad either. Make sure you're getting ample time for you and your family.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
So in September we took advantage of the exocad unlimited bundle sale that was close to 50% off. The price for just denture and partial module were only about $1,000 difference so we opted for the ultimate. We were also gifted a Moonray S printer from a close lab. We started printing denture designs of cases we are doing currently. Not to give to the doctor but to verify contacts and estetics and see where to improve. The plan is to start offering digital dentures by 2022.
That's all you really need other than a porcelain furnace for ceramics.
Why not send your cad files to the best of the best in your budget and have more balance in life?
Using the best of the best puts you in the premium market where all the money is.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
UPDATE
So I am back at square one again. After some back and forth with tech support (solving print failures) it turns out that the DLP lamp needs to be replaced on my Moonray S printer. The cost is at least $1,850 (part and diagnostic) and could be more if they determine some other issues. So am looking for guidance to take my next steps. Here are a few thoughts.
1) Pay the repair (cheapest option, but it’s a old printer not as accurate).
2) Trade in for new model (more money but still able to use current cure light and resins)
3) Buy Asiga and start fresh (most expensive option due to new cure light box and resins)
4) Export print (lab bill will add up but doesn’t require huge up front cost).

Please add any thoughts you have. I don’t want to stop doing digital dentures. Analog is still the majority of our cases but I want to keep moving with the trend not slow down.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
UPDATE
So I am back at square one again. After some back and forth with tech support (solving print failures) it turns out that the DLP lamp needs to be replaced on my Moonray S printer. The cost is at least $1,850 (part and diagnostic) and could be more if they determine some other issues. So am looking for guidance to take my next steps. Here are a few thoughts.
1) Pay the repair (cheapest option, but it’s a old printer not as accurate).
2) Trade in for new model (more money but still able to use current cure light and resins)
3) Buy Asiga and start fresh (most expensive option due to new cure light box and resins)
4) Export print (lab bill will add up but doesn’t require huge up front cost).

Please add any thoughts you have. I don’t want to stop doing digital dentures. Analog is still the majority of our cases but I want to keep moving with the trend not slow down.
You already answered your question..."I want to keep moving with the trend not slow down". Get the asiga.

Top Bottom