What Brand of spray glaze do you use for Zirc ?

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I've always used InSync paste and the last six months been using a lot of the InSync universal spray glaze (took me a long time to get it dialed into where I really like the results) Anyway when I called Jensen for a couple of the large bottles they told me they were out and didn't know when they would get more in . They did have the small ones in though. So my question is ,are there other spray glaze brands for zirc you guys are liking ? ,,,,,,Thanks in advance for any replies .

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Ps2thtec . I'm guessing spray glaze isn't popular :)

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
What's the benefit of spray glaze? Just from the outside looking in, It seems incredibly wasteful and expensive .

I just saw the advertising for Enamelite .

"When asked to suggest improvements to the product, Dr. Laren Garfield said he did not get a high glaze, and Dr. Briney would like to see it offered in shades other than just a clear glaze "

I can't help but laugh at the last line.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
What's the benefit of spray glaze? Just from the outside looking in, It seems incredibly wasteful and expensive .

I just saw the advertising for Enamelite .

"When asked to suggest improvements to the product, Dr. Laren Garfield said he did not get a high glaze, and Dr. Briney would like to see it offered in shades other than just a clear glaze "

I can't help but laugh at the last line.
It really is expensive & wasteful but so quick to use ( I like to use two very light applications). Another benefit is zero dimensional change @ contact points and margin thickness. ,,,,, I'm not sure if spray glaze or me who isn't popular . lol :)

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Good to know about the contact areas, some glaze is pretty thick and you end up spending more time on contacts.

If it works as advertised and saves you time, I'm all for it.

I always wondered if it collected on the inside of the crown with the over spray.

I know I used to airbrush/spray opaque and it would happen accidentally from time to time. Always had to clean the inside of the crown before firing.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Before I spray they are set on zirc pins with peg putty so I can rotate as I apply and if a tiny bit gets on the inside margin sometimes, a quick shot in the sandblaster takes care of that .

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I've always used InSync paste and the last six months been using a lot of the InSync universal spray glaze (took me a long time to get it dialed into where I really like the results) Anyway when I called Jensen for a couple of the large bottles they told me they were out and didn't know when they would get more in . They did have the small ones in though. So my question is ,are there other spray glaze brands for zirc you guys are liking ? ,,,,,,Thanks in advance for any replies .
i toyed with 4 different brands of spray glaze. none got the desired results....so after $500 and lots of labor i dont bother lol. i would LOVE if i could get a routine predictable result, but there in lies the issue.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I think I’ve got the airbrush spray glaze dialed in well for me. Two very thin coats. Rarely adjust contact after- maybe one ruberwheel swipe.

The cans require too much shaking. And $. There was a can brand a few years ago,Quala, but not available anymore. Was probably just a relabel but it sold for less than others. And the cans can be inconsistent.

I spray them on the die. Solves the issue some mentioned. Pick them off with a diamond tip tweezers and place on the honeycomb tray. The can had too much air pressure that blew some off the die.
Could be an issue in you are modelless. Can also lay them on a sponge. I wouldn’t want the spray all on my trays.

Not to get way off track, but I stain the crown on the die also. My thought is it’s more close to insert, on the prep, no light shining through from bottom. Your thoughts anyone ?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I think I’ve got the airbrush spray glaze dialed in well for me. Two very thin coats. Rarely adjust contact after- maybe one ruberwheel swipe.

The cans require too much shaking. And $. There was a can brand a few years ago,Quala, but not available anymore. Was probably just a relabel but it sold for less than others. And the cans can be inconsistent.

I spray them on the die. Solves the issue some mentioned. Pick them off with a diamond tip tweezers and place on the honeycomb tray. The can had too much air pressure that blew some off the die.
Could be an issue in you are modelless. Can also lay them on a sponge. I wouldn’t want the spray all on my trays.

Not to get way off track, but I stain the crown on the die also. My thought is it’s more close to insert, on the prep, no light shining through from bottom. Your thoughts anyone ?
so you spray twice then fire? or spray, fire, spray, fire?
i was spraying on pegs with putty, then transferring pegs to the tray. pegs get covered in glaze too though...so i didnt care for that much.

for staining, i have some tacky wax on the end of a q-tip that i use for holding crowns. thats where i generally stain and glaze, then use college pliers to transfer to the tray or peg

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
so you spray twice then fire? or spray, fire, spray, fire?
i was spraying on pegs with putty, then transferring pegs to the tray. pegs get covered in glaze too though...so i didnt care for that much.

for staining, i have some tacky wax on the end of a q-tip that i use for holding crowns. thats where i generally stain and glaze, then use college pliers to transfer to the tray or peg

I hold by the dowel pin and burst spray around, and occlusal, twice. Fire once.
The stain fire was done first.

B

Bzydo23

Reaction score
How do you prep the crown before you spray? I'm running into the spray not looking even close to as good as a paint on glaze

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
How do you prep the crown before you spray? I'm running into the spray not looking even close to as good as a paint on glaze

“Prep” ? Finish the crown as usual, rubber wheel margins. Any adjustments with the green diamond stones. I polish the occlusal with rubber wheels/points. Light alox dusting and do your thing.

What spray.....Can? Dontknow

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
I use an air brush as well. Dentsply Cercon Glaze, super fine grain and fires clear as glass. I have found that a lot of other glazes can fire with a milky haze at times...…I always end up going back to the Cercon Glaze.

Last edited: