What are digital dentures good for?

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
The apprehension was we were changing their way of doing something. Then they realized it was a change for the better. Lack of vertical could be an issue regardless analog or digital. I feel it is easier to deal with in the digital world than analog world from design and mill/print than setting up and processing.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
Just can’t help but think we’re beta testing our way to non existence. But I’ve been told I think too much. I guess the game now is to see who can hold on the longest before the docs bypass anyone who wants to make living wage for design to be sent directly to their mill. I know this subject has been beat to death so I apologize for beating the rotten corpse of a horse one more time.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Digital dentures could have transitioned a lot easier in the labs if those used car salesmen would stop telling offices that an IO does everything and throw out your impression material.

It's supposed to be a manufacturing process change for a technician in a laboratory. Not a Star Trek gizmo for a dentist to play Scotty.

These dentists are being scammed that because of using an IO scan vs an impression tray, magically prosthetics will now come from the lab in a 1/3 the time at 1/3 the price. And will be better than analog.

I have seen no evidence of that.

Last edited:
D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
If unions weren’t so corruptible I’d be all for it. Too bad. Then again ups drivers got a huge raise and now they’re laying a large amount off.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Just can’t help but think we’re beta testing our way to non existence. But I’ve been told I think too much. I guess the game now is to see who can hold on the longest before the docs bypass anyone who wants to make living wage for design to be sent directly to their mill. I know this subject has been beat to death so I apologize for beating the rotten corpse of a horse one more time.
You won't be replaced. Somebody actually has to do the studying, learning, and working.

AI may be great, but it's also a lot of hype.
And a lot of money to be made off that hype.

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
If unions weren’t so corruptible I’d be all for it. Too bad. Then again ups drivers got a huge raise and now they’re laying a large amount off.
Most of those layoffs are on a shoot off business they invested in.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Hey what about the OP? You all get off topic rants going on every thread here to voice your displeasures of life. Sad

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Hey what about the OP? You all get off topic rants going on every thread here to voice your displeasures of life. Sad
Huh? Oh sorry.
Digital dentures are good for another way to sell dentures.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
stripes lighten GIF

If we didn't have rants about the displeasures of life, you would have threads with three posts from 5 years ago..... And that's what's really sad.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I would rather have a thread die if there is no more interest than read through relies that have nothing to do with the OP.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I would rather have a thread die if there is no more interest than read through relies that have nothing to do with the OP.
But a lot of the heavy lifting was done on the 1st page into the 2nd page...at times a thread may not get past 3-4 replies before it gets derailed, lol, and eventually set back on track. A lot of us who have been here for years, and have more than 447 posts in ~15 years, just like to have a little fun once in a while. Heck, even Denture Dude was having a little water cooler chatter with bigj on this page.

Cheers :)

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
But a lot of the heavy lifting was done on the 1st page into the 2nd page...at times a thread may not get past 3-4 replies before it gets derailed, lol, and eventually set back on track. A lot of us who have been here for years, and have more than 447 posts in ~15 years, just like to have a little fun once in a while. Heck, even Denture Dude was having a little water cooler chatter with bigj on this page.

Cheers :)
I saw what you did!

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
The OP hasn't been here in over 3 weeks, so I don't think he's going to mind if the thread goes a little sideways.
As far as a "rant" goes, no one has been on a rant on this thread. Well except maybe one person, who will remain nameless!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
The OP hasn't been here in over 3 weeks, so I don't think he's going to mind if the thread goes a little sideways.
As far as a "rant" goes, no one has been on a rant on this thread. Well except maybe one person, who will remain nameless!
I'm always ranting, you can use my name :p
Seriously though, digital dentures is huge in my lab as well...half of what we do these days in removables is digital dentures - from printing try-ins, printing custom trays, printing models for flexible or metal partials, to doing monolithic ivotions, we are still in our infancy with printing lucitone 199 side of it but it's coming along and works great for a temp denture so far. I've always said, even if the digital side scares the underwear off of you, don't let it scare you...just sign up to 'accept' the scans, work with a lab that can print the models for you. Once you have printed models, you can do whatever you want, dupe in stone if need and then you're doing it analog. A lot of what we do in the removable side of the house is digilog (half digital workflow and half analog workflow). But being able to get your lab to accept the scans is the biggest hurdle for folks and the first step in the process.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
The way I see it, as an on-off mod of a couple different forums, is: chatter is the connective tissue that keeps the constituent components of a community lively and attentive and engaged. There are certainly times and places where it's inappropriate, but I've seen communities absolutely try to clamp down on it, and 1) it doesn't really work, and 2) it dampens the community as a whole as a side-effect. It's an organic thing that happens where it happens, and trying to make it happen somewhere else doesn't really work. Having to scroll through a dozen off-topic posts isn't all that onerous, in exchange for keeping a body of posters hanging around (and providing genuinely-useful advice and commentary as a by-product),and the community highlighting actual good and on-topic posts with upvotes and the like is a convenient countermeasure to aid those who'd rather skim.
The thing where the OP can identify a particular post as a Topic Solution is also excellent for condensing a technically-concerned post down to the essential responses, but it doesn't seem to be enabled on many subforums here. I think expanding that to more of the equipment-minded subfora where a lot of technical discussion is going on would be helpful, but hey, not my ship, not my helm.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
I admittedly went off topic, call it an unhelpful rant if you will, whiny even. Not trying to poo poo anything tho. Very interested to see how I can incorporate digital to my situation. My docs don’t seem to be very interested at the moment to start scanning but I’d like to get a head start before they decide to start. In the meantime I’m trying to decide where I can place some technology to allow more efficiency with my current workflow. I don’t believe the op gave info about his situation so perhaps some of my questions might be valuable to him as well. Also, I do believe the question as posed has been discussed many times in multiple instances already.