Wet mill bur life.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I just had some crown breakage and chipping this week. I'm still a wookie in the mill department . I had 36 hours on my largest bur , a 2.0. They are from Arum. I went ahead and changed the 2.0 and the 1.0 bur that had 16 hours on it. Anyways after reading through the threads I see others are trying burs from other manufactures. If I want to try other burs what companies do you recommend and what info about my particular bur would I need to provide to make sure I have the correct size ? Or are they all standard in size?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Quality of burs, finish, coating all are factors in tooling. The main factor is your milling strategy. Feeds, speeds, depth of cut. It's the cost of machining a product. You have to replace tools.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Like Kent said. I get 80 hours on my wieland tools but it take 35 min to mill a molar on the hybrid select. The faster the mill time the shorter the tool life, especially in wet grinding.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
I assume you are referring to machining zirconia. I’m not sure which machine you are using (or the tool coating) but you might want to take a look at our Masterpiece line of tooling which can be found at our web store here.

There are two types available: diamond like (DLC) and the longer life crystalline diamond (CVC).

Follow the link, select your machine and choose the material type then the Masterpiece line.

The 2.0 mm tool does a whole lot of work and therefore has less effective tool life but with the Versamill and our templates you should be getting much more life from the OEM tools.

It’s possible that it could be a quality issue (bad lot) with one or both the tools. Other likely causes include:
  1. Debris in the collet
  2. Loose collet
  3. Loose fixture
I. and 2. would cause tool runout and vibration which would most definitely cause excessive wear and chipping.

3. Would introduce excessive vibration which again would cause excessive wear and chipping.

Our technical support peeps address these types issues for our customers.

Do you have a Versamill from us or an Arum from another distributor?

If it’s the latter, there could be other potential causes related to construction, templates and fixturing that your distributor should be able to work you through.

There are many adverse effects of runout and vibration that are beyond the scope of this post. I was actually contemplating writing a piece addressing them and why. Would anyone be interested in such a “paper”?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Thanks, I will see how it goes with the new tools. If its still an issue I will call Anton for a tune up. At this point the only tools I have replaced since I started using the the 5xs in Sept. are the ones that have have broken. ( Gremlins ) So I don't know what my bur life should be.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
20180315_113803.jpg I've had four similar to this in the last week. It was never a problem before.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
[...]

There are many adverse effects of runout and vibration that are beyond the scope of this post. I was actually contemplating writing a piece addressing them and why. Would anyone be interested in such a “paper”?
<cool aid man> OH YEAH! </cool aid man>

A

A. M.

Reaction score
I don't know your mill... but here is my opinion. Might not be right...
The problem might not be your burrs...
Since you are a wookie in that department, just use the burrs that the company sells, where you got the mill from.
I would try to do everything in my end what I can (changing burrs, calibrating, cleaning the mill, checking the design of the crown...),and call tech support. They would ask you these questions anyway. And if you say you have the tools from somewhere else, they would say they cannot support you, because the mill is optimized to the tools they sell, and the strategies too...
I guess now you just want to figured out what the problem is.
Once get more comfortable, try other burrs... You might pay more now, but you get experience out of this too...

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Like Kent said. I get 80 hours on my wieland tools but it take 35 min to mill a molar on the hybrid select. The faster the mill time the shorter the tool life, especially in wet grinding.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
O.K .. I milled out several molars earlier today. They took anywhere from 15-17 minutes apiece. 16 mm block. Wet milled. To fast ?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
maybe, maybe not. i know the Axsys guys, their toolpaths are efficient. not like sum3d. 15-17 mins sounds right. is the surface smooth or do you see scalloping ? good way to tell your tool is wearing down is by the visible scalloping.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Well, here is my first shot at it. I hope there is some useful info...

Just from some of my scroll through and reading a couple of paragraphs here and there, it was very well done and informative. Nice work, Steve, it probably really deserves a "Winner".

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I meant to re-visit this about my problem. I have been cleaning my crowns in an ultrasonic after cutting out of the puck as I mill wet to help release any remaining zirconia slurry on the crown. I place the crowns in a small baggy with water in the beaker.. However my beaker broke and I was suspending the baggy in the water. I believe that the extra vibration of being in the water only and not in the jar was causing my issue. But it was erratic. It was only happening about 1 out 8 or so. Hope my experience helps others.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
I had too many break in the ultrasonic so I don't use it anymore. I Just rinse off with good water pressure and lightly wet steam. No more breaking. I dry mill for now btw, just sick of the dust.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
This may help...
black-black-decker-toaster-ovens-to1750sb-64_1000.jpg

Attachments

• Post Processing of Wet Zirconia.pdf
    548.9 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom