Wet Impression

T

Tino

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am curious to know wet impression optimal pouring time with stone ,when dimensional stability start to decrease after taking the wet impression.

Is it safe storage in a refrigerator and pour after 24 hours? Thank you.

W

Willard

Reaction score
Are you referring to alginate or hydrocollide ?
I would say for best results no.
Pour immediately.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
I always have said immediately for best result, but recently looked at dthe directions on some henry schein alginate which gives a pouring time of 0-100hours !!
in sealed palstic bag. I still always pour up when alginates come in , but have no scientific reason to do this except it just seems like the right thing to do.
I am intersested to see peoples response and wonder if they have any research/ studies to quote

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
Are you referring to alginate or hydrocollide ?
I would say for best results no.
Pour immediately.

Alginate is a hydrocolloid. It is non-reversible as opposed to reversible. It should ALWAYS be poured immediately as should reversible hydrocolloid.. With hydrocollide, who knows?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I cannot recall the brand right now, one of the newer ones, anyway the destructions with it say pour within 5 minutes.

I feel comfortable pouring within 1 hour for repairs and such.
For master models I insist on vpe or pvs if they are not going to call as soon as it's taken and I'm not pre-notified.

Of course it doesn't always work that way. I got one Friday that had sat overnight in the doc's office. But it's for a custom tray, so no real harm done.

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
We were taught to pour alginates within 5 minutes and pvs not before 1 hour because of out gassing.

T

Tino

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the all comments.

It's difficult to follow the rule of pour immediately since economy growth affect traffic jams for one man lab.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the all comments.

It's difficult to follow the rule of pour immediately since economy growth affect traffic jams for one man lab.
If they wrap it in moist paper towels and put it in a sealed zippy bag, you'll be fine for a bit of a drive unless you're talking west coast multi-hour traffic jams.

If it's in so much water you feel like you're bringing home a goldfish in there with it, that's way overkill and can actually cause some issues as well.

T

Tino

Reaction score
Interesting!

I always ask staff for add more water.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am curious to know wet impression optimal pouring time with stone ,when dimensional stability start to decrease after taking the wet impression.

Is it safe storage in a refrigerator and pour after 24 hours? Thank you.
I have been doing this for more than 20years, wrap it in wet paper towel in a sealed bag, it does last at least 48hrs without distorting with a good alginate brand. But if you can poor it right away why wait.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I was always told Alginates need to be poured up within one hour of being taken. Polyether and Polyvinyl shouldn't be poured up till 24 hours have passed.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Hydrogum 5 in a plastic bag will last a couple of days. I only use alginate impressions for cutom trays so its not a big deal for me....

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
People. Dental technicians. Dentists and dental asistents... Why do not you read the instructions?
every manufacturer carefully checks and describes such things.

I know that the aim of the forum is to share knowledge and experience, so it will be best to ask for reading the instructions for use.

Top Bottom