Waxing dip pot

R

Rugardave

Reaction score
High everyone,
I've started to get seams on the inside of the crowns I cast all of a sudden. I use seperator and dip as usual but the casting comes out w/ a lot of horizontal lines from abut the middle to the margin. Is there a special sep. that people are using these days? One that works 100%. All this is on the inside of the crown both PFM and cast crowns. Would shelf life have anythig to do with this?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Your getting lines from dipping to slow..Dip fast barely over your margins, hold for a split second, then pull out slower..

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
yes, dip quicker going in, maybe you've got excess die lube too

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
So whats the trick? I've dipped in the past and unless the prep is textbook I'll trap bubbles. I dip at an angle and pull out slowly like Charles said.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
High everyone,
I've started to get seams on the inside of the crowns I cast all of a sudden. I use seperator and dip as usual but the casting comes out w/ a lot of horizontal lines from abut the middle to the margin. Is there a special sep. that people are using these days? One that works 100%. All this is on the inside of the crown both PFM and cast crowns. Would shelf life have anythig to do with this?

It's the die lube and too cold dip pot. Throw that oily crap out and get yourself some sealer and separator pens from harvest or dva. Set wax pot 80C.

C

charles007

Reaction score
So whats the trick? I've dipped in the past and unless the prep is textbook I'll trap bubbles. I dip at an angle and pull out slowly like Charles said.

Try Yeti Lube,,, normally I wouldn't tell someone to change lubes, but this stuff works great..I almost never never have bubbles with my ex because of it..
If you have a really deep holes/concave areas, etc on a prep, fill in a little with your electric waxer then dip really fast before the wax cools.
On your posteriors your seeing bubbles,, try this.....hold your die at an angle where your cusp tip hits the dipping wax first...( this is where you might sprue the crown)
as you dip , straighten out with a rotation , or do like I do and lift the die out in the same direction your went in.......Sometimes I get voids where it doesn't adapt to the die in deep concave areas and deep shoulders.. And your pot maybe to cold
If you ever see horizontal lines, it strictly from dipping die to slow going into pot.. Dip fast and take out faster= thinner coping..
Play around with a old die to learn how to get an even dip with different temps on you wax pot.......then be consistent ....this will save tons on metal finishing..

Last edited:
B

bullit

Reaction score
Warm the dies up. I put mine on top of the wax pot for a few min.

H

Harmony

Reaction score
A hotty is not really the ultimate way of waxing, there will always be an undetermined amount of air trapped causing undetermined passivity. You are getting horizontal lines because you are: dipping to slow, wax too cold, too much separator. Some guys heat up their dies slightly. With my experience, rather just wax by hand, dippy will always bite you in the ass at the most unexpected times. Rather use it as a platform to heat your coffee.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Theye are called, CHILL LINES... and they DO look bad. Dip faster or hotter...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Nobody asked this I think but what dip wax are you using? The right products work wonders here..

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
Raise the wax temp. and blot the excess oil from the die on a kleenex, and the speed of diping no hesitation in and out one motion;)

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Use lightstar wax. You all turned me on to it. Awesome.

L

lonestarlab

Reaction score
use rapid wax from Jensen you can dip as slow or fast as you want . Been in business over 30 yrs and have found nothing better

Levire

Levire

Reaction score
I believe Lightstar is Rapid wax. I use it, good stuff.

A

AL1

Reaction score
I thought those lines were for retention.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
I use a hotty at 185 no lines but make sure you wipe off all lube. So yea raise your temp 10 deg and go from there in small increments. Don't change a lot of things because you won't know what fixed it.

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I use Microstar wax and love it. Threw away all the other waxes. Try to put the dies on top of the dipping pot to warm them up a bit before dipping. That makes a smooth dip.