Wax up of the week

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
bobby
I'm sorry, but a single model with no explanations like AJEL .....will only polish your brass so far. That's like asking a ceramist to show us a build up on a model. It means nothing unless it delivers in the mouth appropriately.

Bobby I'm in USA near Chicago technicians are not legally allowed to deliver to patients here. It is rare that I even get to see a patient let alone obtain a release to take a picture of the patient. I occasionally get a picture of a patient sometimes the picture is so old it has started to fade. In the case of something interesting like an immediate it is not always pretty time. I have some, I have to double check if I have the release to post a picture, a denture unlike a single crown (which works when it matches its neighbor) only works when you see the entire face. A denture supports the facial muscles as well as speech & function as in mastication. The best I can do without the release and even seeing the patient is to post a series with a short description. I was hoping they would be of some interest.

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Ok This is the case pictured on 12/16/12 with the Bioblend teeth, it has gone for 2 viewings, the lady wished to correct a natural midline off. So this first picture is the wax-up with the midline moved 2mm to pt left and with the stone tooth removed.
IMG_2483.jpg
[/IMG]

Now this is the case invested , just follow along,
IMG_2484.jpg
[/IMG]

Next I stopped at boil out and marked my post & took a picture, I then used a spare top flask & poured hydrocoloid in to duplicate how the model is.
IMG_2485.jpg
[/IMG]

I did this for photo display the case is normally being process while this duplicate of the model is created.
IMG_2487.jpg
[/IMG]

This is after the case has been finished except for surgeon adjustment.
IMG_2489.jpg
[/IMG]

Now we know this image with the pieces of model left but I still have a copy of the model from the flask.
IMG_2492.jpg
[/IMG]

This is an immediate denture so the surgeon will extract the teeth and if the denture doesn't fit easily the case would be sent to the general DDS with the patient but by the time the patient got there the swelling and Inflammation would be to great and they would have to wait to have the denture placed.
So what I will do is fit the denture on to the stone cast, if I can fit it and polish the borders the surgeon should be able to fit the denture and the denture becomes the bandage for healing, and hopefully a much more content patient. And this is my design for immediate dentures, to compensate for oral surgeons who either have no desire, ability or equipment to adjust the acrylic.

IMG_2491.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Nice work AJ,

Can't believe I never thought of using another top flask with hydrocolloid to duplicate my cast on immediate cases. I have been using impression trays with alginate for years to make a duplicate for adjustment purposes but sometimes it's difficult to get a good impression due to the model being in a flask. Good tip. Thanks.

C

Craig T

Reaction score
Here is a case I'm working on presently. Patient wants a new denture similar to existing. Patient has a deep and over-closed bite. Dr. wants to open bite. Full arch Hader bar with Ackerman clips. Fingers crossed I figured out how to upload pics.....
ai1300.photobucket.com_albums_ag94_craigt2_DSCN2609_zps808d61bd.jpg
ai1300.photobucket.com_albums_ag94_craigt2_DSCN2611_zpsb836690d.jpg
ai1300.photobucket.com_albums_ag94_craigt2_DSCN2612_zps1fd6994d.jpg
ai1300.photobucket.com_albums_ag94_craigt2_DSCN2613_zpsf6e1b69f.jpg
ai1300.photobucket.com_albums_ag94_craigt2_DSCN2609_zps808d61bd.jpg ai1300.photobucket.com_albums_ag94_craigt2_DSCN2611_zpsb836690d.jpg ai1300.photobucket.com_albums_ag94_craigt2_DSCN2612_zps1fd6994d.jpg ai1300.photobucket.com_albums_ag94_craigt2_DSCN2613_zpsf6e1b69f.jpg

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Craig when you process the akerman do you put a drop of Protech - Cold Cure soft on the outside of the metal grips? And do you process with the bar IN, (sometimes Iwill with some tinfoil burnished under the clip & over the bar. with a smidge of waterbased clay blocking out under the tinfoil where the clip isn't. I've also processed on a duplicate model with the Delrin Analogue Bar PREAT Precision Attachments in the model. Does the lower partial have attachments in it, I only see 1 clasp.
nice waxup for having a rolercoaster of natural on 1 side, and all we can do is duplicate when they evidently don't want it to the hamular notch.
Do you use some old clip's in during the wax tryin? or some old hader white clips processed in a baseplate.

Last edited:
C

Craig T

Reaction score
Hi AJEL,
I placed the delrin bar analogs into the green riders in the pick-up impression. I then blocked out any remaining undercuts and processed a baseplate with the ackerman clips on spacers. After processing I relieved the area around the clips to allow them to flex. I then made a hard lab putty impression/model to work off for the rest of the case. Patients is a gagger and did not want the full extension on this denture. Lower has an ERA attachment on the right side.

Thanks for posting your thought process on this type of case. I'm still trying wrap my head around all of what you wrote. If I read enough times it will sink in eventually.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
amer84
it seems like a bloody gingiva
I looks like someone put some effort into this case. I see some coloring on the papilla, also some blanching in the root area. If this is done with trial packing it takes some skill & extra time, I might have used a slightly closer color or mixed the two 50/50 to make it a little more blended, & I don't go for stippling. In my limited thinking it tends to become a great place for plaque to grab on. I will admit the coloring is mostly for when the patient holds them in their hand admiring their purchase but occasionally the tissue shows in great smiles. When the tissue shows in a great smile I would prefer this over the vanilla bland pink of a bland denture mill case.

Last edited:
amer84

amer84

Reaction score
in fact I used tow types of wax
red for first and setting up
and light pink wax for final modeling
it really take long time but I have no stress these days popcorn
so I had some fun :juggle:

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
So will you process it to look as or like the wax up?

amer84

amer84

Reaction score
So will you process it to look as or like the wax up?
not the small textures coz as you said it could be un-hygenic
I will buy attention for root modeling and cervical gingeva with multi tunes coloring acrylic

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I concur with AJEL and AMer84 the stippling potentially trapping plaque and fungus for those who do not have
good home care and elderly. Amer84 Glad that you are out of the warzone now.
I like to use tooth brush to stipple but avoid the root eminences - only in between.
AcrylicInnovation - well done, very good for a student. Question about tilt/position of #15 though
(or #27 in the FDI system).
LCM

amer84

amer84

Reaction score
k2 Ceramic Studio
lcmlabforum
thanx for your intrest
#15 was a mestake I fixed it :rolleyes:

ottawa

ottawa

Reaction score
DSC_0106.jpg DSC_0254.jpg ottawa-denture.jpg
Here's a couple wax-ups I've done. Genios, Vitapan and Physiodens teeth.
DSC_0106.jpg DSC_0254.jpg ottawa-denture.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Quickie clacker Imd F2.

I did this case personally and it took me 1 hour 30 min to set and wax this case including prepping the drs crappy models. This is a fast and furious style that I think came out acceptable. Crappy camera phone pic.

ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_ClackerIMD_zpse19fb5dd.jpg
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_ClackerIMD_zpse19fb5dd.jpg