Wax up of the week

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Danny we all have our preferred tool to add stipple to a wax up. How do you obtain that surface texture?

These are the type of gingival contours I aim for when waxing a denture, looks very natural with the ability for food to sluff off and get pushed back up across the table of the teeth.

Another awesome result!

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
One of my per peeves has always been skanky looking mountings; you've not only set a high standard for the set-up and waxing but the mounting as well.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Danny we all have our preferred tool to add stipple to a wax up. How do you obtain that surface texture?

These are the type of gingival contours I aim for when waxing a denture, looks very natural with the ability for food to sluff off and get pushed back up across the table of the teeth.

Another awesome result!

John,
I use a #11 stiff Robinson bristle brush over top of cellophane sheet. Letting it roll on the fingers at different directions.
This also let the wax roll into the necks of the teeth and inter-proximals to prevent ledges which is one of my pet-peeves of wax ups.
It also creates texture for the tissue tint to hold it during the processing stage.

Thank you

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Great waxup, is there a reason the papilla is concave?

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Great waxup, is there a reason the papilla is concave?

Waxed to it to what I felt like mother natural may have put there. The denture is thin in the anterior and I didnt want an acrylic papilla sticking out,
utilizing the teeth to support the lips. Not every case I do has a distinctive papilla.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Waxed to it to what I felt like mother natural may have put there. The denture is thin in the anterior and I didnt want an acrylic papilla sticking out,
utilizing the teeth to support the lips. Not every I do has a distinctive papilla.

Thanks, I wasnt trying to be a smartas5, I think it looks natural.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Thanks, I wasnt trying to be a smartas5, I think it looks natural.

Hey no problem here. I didnt take that you were. Please share some photos.

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
So this is one way I do immediate s. I make 2 sets of models mount on magnetic pin articulator. The patient states the favorite centeral (if they have one) all the stone teeth are removed except that one & set up in wax. this DDS wanted Bioblend, I timed myself for this post the setup/waxup to this point 75min probably not as quick as most here. I set up with the posterior upper lingual cusps over the middle of the lower ridge and fit the lower posteriors to match. The tips of #6 & #11 are in the same position as her natural teeth. At this stage I have a 20* incisal guidance and perform movements right left and protrusive for best contact as possible. mostly for speech, I'm not a big silver dollar setup person and feel a little twisting is more natural. This case is for a 59 yr old female. Next is for her to approve, the single stone tooth gives her a reference to how things will change. The DDS for this case has software that with the stone tooth in place he can place the denture in her picture.
Immediate2a.jpg
[/IMG]
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_Basics_20baseplate_Immediate2c.jpg
Immediate2b.jpg
[/IMG]
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_Basics_20baseplate_Immediate2c.jpg

Last edited:
Thedentureman

Thedentureman

Reaction score
Hard case, nice work.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Out of curiousity how much approximately do you charge for each arch? I'm guessing definitely a premium product.

Being I finished this case today. Thought I would post the final prosthesis to compare the case to the wax up. Most all cases here are characterized with tissue tint
during the processing stage. It is important to have the case waxed to proper thickness, anatomy, etc. to avoid grinding away the tint. If done correctly, only
the peripheral borders is where minimal flash is removed using the Ivocap injection.

View attachment 4267 View attachment 4266

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Out of curiousity how much approximately do you charge for each arch? I'm guessing definitely a premium product.

More than the national average that was listed in LMT. Sorry I don't post any fees on the web, but that should give you an idea.
Happy holidays!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
The story of this immediate it was started in Sept with custom tray, baseplate & facebow mountings. The patient seemed to be going into the hospital for infections & IV Vancomycin antibiotics. Impressions, hospital, baseplates hospital, posterior tooth tryin hospital. I was called Dec 28th with the message: MD's feel Gram-positive bacteria infections originate from gingival tissue or Pulpitis, they want to have infected teeth removed but patient won't agree until he has teeth (denture). Could I go forward & finish case without patient viewing & approval of final set up. Patient would like teeth for New Years event. Note the size of arches. Sorry about the pictures focus, the auto-focus was turned off by accident.
note about my immediate technique. During the processing I have an extra-flask top and what I do is to pour hydrocoloid over the model I have ground the teeth off from. I will pour up a model of this model and after processing and prior to sending to oral surgeon I adjust the denture to go onto this model. The purpose is oral surgeons hate to grind on plastic, so I grind and polish to a smooth non sharp edge for them. That is also why the immediate will look a bit bulky at this time, when relining I will re shape & reduce the bulk, but for now the patient has their denture bandage, without rough surfaces or sharp edges. For any one curious teeth are Ant X99/14S Post 14S Vita A2.
Immediate3a_zpsb23a520b-1_zps51bc880c.jpg
[/IMG]
The articulation just fit my Hanau.

Immediate3b_zps95577b21-1_zpsd997c57b.jpg
[/IMG]
The posterior setup for tryin in Sept.

Immedfiate3d_zps29519561.jpg
[/IMG]
The setup in red wax.

Immediate3n_zpse364e8d8.jpg
[/IMG]
View if setup with copy of original

Immediate3i_zps01d3e29a.jpg
[/IMG]
Size Idea of case, The upper lingual cusps were set over the middle of the lower ridge.

Immediate3q_zps0b48ee18.jpg
[/IMG]
Post processing occlusal check.

Immediate3s_zps6bfa0d7c.jpg
[/IMG]
Flippers favorite view.

N

nickate

Reaction score
For sure--- that is BEAUTIFUL in the eyes of myself (a technician). I roll with the mentality that MOST (not looking for a fight here) patients are wearing dentures because they did not properly take care of their God issued ones. Interproximal food traps (yes),stippling (yes) and shelves separating the teeth from the wax (..of which I see none here... beautiful) are all things that need to be eliminated for my clientele. I will post up what my doctors prefer the next chance I get.
Again--- AWESOME waxup from a technician viewpoint.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
For sure--- that is BEAUTIFUL in the eyes of myself (a technician). I roll with the mentality that MOST (not looking for a fight here) patients are wearing dentures because they did not properly take care of their God issued ones. Interproximal food traps (yes),stippling (yes) and shelves separating the teeth from the wax (..of which I see none here... beautiful) are all things that need to be eliminated for my clientele. I will post up what my doctors prefer the next chance I get.
Again--- AWESOME waxup from a technician viewpoint.

Thankyou;)

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Nice to see you stepping up and posting, I will take some pics and share soon,

One thing I find very telling is that I have been doing way to much CAD latley, Nothing is more frustrating when I see a photo that I try and take the mouse and rotate it to see other side :)

LOL.... John you had me laughing so hard with this one....you're not alone buddy.... Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Still talkers and no pictures.

Show us some photos of your occlusal plane set up. Tell us why you set up the teeth at a specific vertical dimension. Show us the set up in the mouth and how it looks like it should belong in that patient. Why did you choose a certain mould of anterior/posterior? just cause of cosmetics? what degree teeth were chosen according to the patients eminence?

I'm sorry, but a single model with no explanationswill only polish your brass so far.......need details like AJEL ..... That's like asking a ceramist to show us a build up on a model. It means nothing unless it delivers in the mouth appropriately.

Please show us more from your portfolio.

Last edited:
A

altlab

Reaction score
It is not to be expected that many can achieve below level of waxing proficiency - not to mention customization -but it also helps to have breathed 35 years of acetone and dentist breath. Photos of an "interesting" typodont that will give you bad dreams on ebay Item Id: 251209866340

Can't seem to figure out the photo listing system. Dosen't seem to allow a browse of photos on my computer...does it accept only a 3rd party listing like snapfish? Hence the work-around.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Here is a small setup I did for provisionals.. Same case I posted in another thread, this is a 19 y/o after snowboard accident. Used denture teeth for md form and made an acrylic screw-retained temp, and the mx I made a versacryl flipper. Bite is open to prevent loading of implants and bone grafts. Last pic is processed.

Go easy on me, im a cb guy dipping a toe in the pool. The Dr and patient loved it, so I consider that a success, however I wasnt happy with the shade mismatch, but its only a temp! I should have some IO pics coming back soon..

DSC_5435.jpg DSC_5437.jpg DSC_5427.jpg proviwaxup.jpg provifinal3.jpg
DSC_5435.jpg DSC_5437.jpg DSC_5427.jpg proviwaxup.jpg provifinal3.jpg