wax milling parameters

A

A. M.

Reaction score
Here is a crazy idea... don't know how, but works for me...
I design it as a zirconia, same settings, just mill it from wax... and fits better then when I pick wax as a material in 3Shape

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Here is a crazy idea... don't know how, but works for me...
I design it as a zirconia, same settings, just mill it from wax... and fits better then when I pick wax as a material in 3Shape
man that would be crazy since the settings are drastically different.....however, i will try it! thanks

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
man that would be crazy since the settings are drastically different.....however, i will try it! thanks

So I have buddy with 51D mill my wax, told me to just use the pmma material, and set parameters to the following.
Uses Ron’s diamonds and his wax. Could not be more satisfied with results.
09EB2984-7266-4D5F-8C82-AC69A4E25ADA.jpeg

user name

user name

Reaction score
So I have buddy with 51D mill my wax, told me to just use the pmma material, and set parameters to the following.
View attachment 33077
Im not saying that wont work, but its kinda goofy.

Why select PMMA? If you have parameters that work, then enter those parameters in the wax selection. Thats all it is...selecting preset or modified parameters. When you select a disc in CAM to nest your files, thats where feed rate, spindle speed, etc are appled.

Selecting Zr, PMMA or wax in the CAD menu is only selecting the gap, margin design and minimum thickness. It has nothing to do with milling.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
View attachment 33077
okay, thanks man. will plug these in and see how they do.
would you be so kind as to ask the anticipated tool diameter?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Im not saying that wont work, but its kinda goofy.

Why select PMMA? If you have parameters that work, then enter those parameters in the wax selection. Thats all it is...selecting preset or modified parameters. When you select a disc in CAM to nest your files, thats where feed rate, spindle speed, etc are appled.

Selecting Zr, PMMA or wax in the CAD menu is only selecting the gap, margin design and minimum thickness. It has nothing to do with milling.
correct, i will just input all these into the wax side and see how it does.
might just be set as pmma out of sheer ease. parameters shouldnt be any diff between the two IMHO.

user name

user name

Reaction score
This just seems fitting. I dont know why. No offense intended.

user name

user name

Reaction score

"In the third tab of the 'Crown Bottoms' dialog, you can also change the parameter for tool diameter compensation. If you have selected a material that is to be milled, the checkbox Anticipate milling [4] is checked by default. Under Diameter [5], you can choose the diameter of the tool to be used for milling. It is beneficial to choose a value slightly higher than the diameter of the actual tool you're using, e.g. chose 1.2mm when milling with a 1mm tool."

Im not positive, but I think we kicked this around some years back, and someone said my above quote ws actually incorrect. I dont remmber who or why, so Im just sharing.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
2, 1, and .6mm
see user's new post. the anticipated setting is in exo. i presumed he was using the actual tools set up for a 51D (2mm, 1mm, .6mm)
i am currently trying 1.04 for anticipated tool diameter, and depending on how trials go this week will be moving that number up some as user said is beneficial....well, exocad wiki said it. but user can have credit for repost lol

user name

user name

Reaction score
see user's new post. the anticipated setting is in exo. i presumed he was using the actual tools set up for a 51D (2mm, 1mm, .6mm)
i am currently trying 1.04 for anticipated tool diameter, and depending on how trials go this week will be moving that number up some as user said is beneficial....well, exocad wiki said it. but user can have credit for repost lol
For what its worth...when I select to design a FC anything, the crown bottoms window of Wizard I have 'anticipate milling' set at 0.8.
Thats why I think the Wiki is wrong. My fits are perfect.

Since the intaglio is milled with a 1mm, if you have anticipate set at 1mm, you will only be spot on when the bur is new. As it wears, you will see the wear by your fits becoming increasingly snug, esp in sharp corners. By setting it slightly smaller than the actual bur diameter, you are compensating for the expected bur wear, as well as insuring you get full penetration in those extra sharp corners.

Drop you setting to smaller than 1mm and you will be good to go.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
For what its worth...when I select to design a FC anything, the crown bottoms window of Wizard I have 'anticipate milling' set at 0.8.
Thats why I think the Wiki is wrong. My fits are perfect.
well this is why im dumb at all of this. it makes no sense to me. so many varying setting and to me they should all be relatively similar, if not the same.

user name

user name

Reaction score
well this is why im dumb at all of this. it makes no sense to me. so many varying setting and to me they should all be relatively similar, if not the same.
We've all been there. I actually use the Zirconia selection for everything except veneers. All your intaglio are milled with the 1mm regardless of the material chosen in CAD. Its the margin design and cement gap I want on everything. Feed rates and spindle speed arent part of the equation until youre in CAM and select a specific blank.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
We've all been there. I actually use the Zirconia selection for everything except veneers. All your intaglio are milled with the 1mm regardless of the material chosen in CAD. Its the margin design and cement gap I want on everything. Feed rates and spindle speed arent part of the equation until youre in CAM and select a specific blank.
tried milling on zirc settings......sloppy loose wax, worse than im getting now. (zirconia fits are spot on though)

user name

user name

Reaction score
tried milling on zirc settings......sloppy loose wax, worse than im getting now. (zirconia fits are spot on though)
If you design a crown and mill it out of Zr and get good fits, then milling out of wax or PMMA where no shrinkage is applied should be giving you an exact representation of what you will be seeing in your Zr. The only other variable is the tools selected by your CAM for a specific material. You may have some out of spec tools for your wax milling?

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score

"In the third tab of the 'Crown Bottoms' dialog, you can also change the parameter for tool diameter compensation. If you have selected a material that is to be milled, the checkbox Anticipate milling [4] is checked by default. Under Diameter [5], you can choose the diameter of the tool to be used for milling. It is beneficial to choose a value slightly higher than the diameter of the actual tool you're using, e.g. chose 1.2mm when milling with a 1mm tool."

Im not positive, but I think we kicked this around some years back, and someone said my above quote ws actually incorrect. I dont remmber who or why, so Im just sharing.

I think I may have misunderstood the question.:bag:...... you know what happens when One assumes? I gave the tool sizes he uses.

I do see my Wax material option is not there except for anatomical crown , and wax copy. Maybe that’s why I was told to choose PMMA..?

Top Bottom