Warning: Pushing and shoving will take place here

Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Reaction score
I found that you also have to have the right mindset when heading towards CAD/CAM "Press To" method, beacuse the learning curve from old methods is not just an up hill challenge.....it can also be a "one step forward, two steps back" challenge when figuring out all the parameters from the CAD to the CAM to the Press technology. The cool part is when you get it all lined up, everything is so predictable. All that is left is the finest of contour details and shade refinment....the fun stuff!!!

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
The cool part is when you get it all lined up, everything is so predictable. All that is left is the finest of contour details and shade refinment....the fun stuff!!!

Exactly. My ceramists all hate the building and rough contouring parts. They get to cut right to the good stuff

C

charles007

Reaction score
I found that you also have to have the right mindset when heading towards CAD/CAM "Press To" method, beacuse the learning curve from old methods is not just an up hill challenge.....it can also be a "one step forward, two steps back" challenge when figuring out all the parameters from the CAD to the CAM to the Press technology. The cool part is when you get it all lined up, everything is so predictable. All that is left is the finest of contour details and shade refinment....the fun stuff!!!

Finely, someone talking my language............

C

charles007

Reaction score
Exactly. My ceramists all hate the building and rough contouring parts. They get to cut right to the good stuff

Heck, I would really like to throw out all my porcelain brushes and spray, print, or mill in the stains if it were possible.
The day I can work from my leather Lazyboy recliner, I just might stay in this business a few more years.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Never happen. We'll find an excuse to nuke them if they get too uppity. We would have already nuked Canada just because of Celine Dion, but all their snow would melt and flood us out.

Seriously, we have always been innovators, but there will always be ways for people to steal intellectual property and ideas. THe future looks rosey to me, but we do have some challenges ahead.

Do us both a favour and aim for Quebec!

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Do us both a favour and aim for Quebec!

Trust me, the coordinates for them are all programmed in. We will keep Nova Scotia and the West for us, and give Quebec to Mexico (and build them a tunnel):D

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Never happen. We'll find an excuse to nuke them if they get too uppity. We would have already nuked Canada just because of Celine Dion, but all their snow would melt and flood us out.

Seriously, we have always been innovators, but there will always be ways for people to steal intellectual property and ideas. THe future looks rosey to me, but we do have some challenges ahead.

LOL, Very Funny! Never say never though look at the Roman empire. Seriously though, I agree we are innovators but consider where a lot of the technology is being developed; outside the US. I'm just saying the potential is there technologically; we just have to watch our 6.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You guys are too fat to climb over the snowbank we have piled at the boarder.

We already have the Mexicans here to pick crops..we just don't let them drive or vote for our leader.

How's that hopey changey thing going?

ZOOMAN

ZOOMAN

MadCap Member
Reaction score
GO MARK! As a formor user manual writer, I must say; I have met very few laboratory staff that have ever read the user manuals of their equipment. Further more I have not met many labs that really know their equipment as well as they think they do. For instance, I saw a post on page one of this discussion that doubted your knowledge of the heating elements in furnaces. I have an intimate knowledge of the elements used in furnace. 99% are Kanthol AF wire the differences are 1-the use of quartz tube, imbedded windings and unsheathed exposed windings. The photon dispursement is similar in all and have similar effects/affects on the materials. The true difference in furnaces are the following:

1. The size of the chamber
2. The type of thermocouple used
3. The placement of the thermocouple
4. The calibration method
5. The quality of the electronics and individual components
6. THe type of closing/opening method (clamshell, table or chamber movement.
7. The length of the lift/diustance of movement
the programability of individual program segments
the vacuum strength and time of evacuation
8. the capability of press monitoring in combination with the amount of measurements per second
9. The testing done by the company of manufacture
10 Whether the company makes porcelain, investments etc.

There are more differences I could list however, these are the most important.

If I could give anybody advise when purchasing a furnace (burnout or porcelain furnace). It would be to look at the company & price. Unfortunately you get what you pay for. It amazes me how cheap even the largest labs are. That being said, good results can be had in most furnaces. The difference truly is the consistancy of the results. The most common advertising ploy is the "temperature Accuracy" of the furnace. This really is irrelavent to a certain degree, yes it is important that is be as close as possible, however what you need is less variance in temperatures from day to day. Some important tips for EVERYONE when Using, setting up or purchasing a furnace.

1. USE A DEDICATED CIRCUIT!!!!
2. The company of manufacture to test the knowledge of the support staff.
3. Ask around to labs you know and forums like this.
4. Does the furnace come with programs? This can be a clue that the company actually tested the furnace.

OK I'LL SHUT UP NOW. HAVE FUN.

ZOOMAN

ZOOMAN

MadCap Member
Reaction score
GO MARK! As a formor user manual writer, I must say; I have met very few laboratory staff that have ever read the user manuals of their equipment. Further more I have not met many labs that really know their equipment as well as they think they do. For instance, I saw a post on page one of this discussion that doubted your knowledge of the heating elements in furnaces. I have an intimate knowledge of the elements used in furnace. 99% are Kanthol AF wire the differences are 1-the use of quartz tube, imbedded windings and unsheathed exposed windings. The photon dispursement is similar in all and have similar effects/affects on the materials. The true difference in furnaces are the following:

1. The size of the chamber
2. The type of thermocouple used
3. The placement of the thermocouple
4. The calibration method
5. The quality of the electronics and individual components
6. THe type of closing/opening method (clamshell, table or chamber movement.
7. The length of the lift/diustance of movement
the programability of individual program segments
the vacuum strength and time of evacuation
8. the capability of press monitoring in combination with the amount of measurements per second
9. The testing done by the company of manufacture
10 Whether the company makes porcelain, investments etc.

There are more differences I could list however, these are the most important.

If I could give anybody advise when purchasing a furnace (burnout or porcelain furnace). It would be to look at the company & price. Unfortunately you get what you pay for. It amazes me how cheap even the largest labs are. That being said, good results can be had in most furnaces. The difference truly is the consistancy of the results. The most common advertising ploy is the "temperature Accuracy" of the furnace. This really is irrelavent to a certain degree, yes it is important that is be as close as possible, however what you need is less variance in temperatures from day to day. Some important tips for EVERYONE when Using, setting up or purchasing a furnace.

1. USE A DEDICATED CIRCUIT!!!!
2. The company of manufacture to test the knowledge of the support staff.
3. Ask around to labs you know and forums like this.
4. Does the furnace come with programs? This can be a clue that the company actually tested the furnace.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
GO MARK! As a formor user manual writer, I must say; I have met very few laboratory staff that have ever read the user manuals of their equipment. Further more I have not met many labs that really know their equipment as well as they think they do.

User manuals have some amazing information. I even thought about implementing a program here where the only authorized reading materials in the restrooms was laminated user manuals! haha

Great information. I am especially supportinve of your remark regarding dedicated circuits. I had extra panels brought in just so we could do this. Not just for furnaces but any sensitive computerized equipment, of which our modern furnaces definately qualify!.

Last edited: