Wanting to sell my 3Shape scanner - Suggestions?

R

rterra

Reaction score
So I started a lease agreement for a 3Shape D500 with Premium software and a ProJet 1200 printer back in November of 2014. The lease ends around January 2017. I am a one person lab and thought I should make a go of it with the printer for all my PFMs, FGC and eMax. I have struggled with the printer for a long time and gave up on it about three months ago. I felt so relieved to go back to waxing! I know some folks are having success with this printer but I have not. Long story short.... I think I should sell my scanner to lessen the hit I am taking on paying for this lease. Maybe I could do design work for someone out of the area? I live in a pretty rural part of Northern California and there is not much intra-oral scanning going on and certainly no Trios.

I have been using the PJ1200 for jewelry making only now ( margins and cement gaps not an issue! ) I supose I could sell the computer with the 3Shape software too. There is almost two years left on the software package I got.

I took a risk getting this set up because the printing was going to potentially let me team up with another local lab. I couldn't in good faith "push" what I was dealing with in print consistency on the other lab. So now I am hemorrhaging money

Any suggestions? Anyone interested in buying this? ( not the printer ;) )

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Not for myself, but for others here, who is your re-seller, who has the 3Shape license? Maybe not that it matters so much, as it sometimes it can be, should be? just a paperwork transfer.

K

KIM

Reaction score
So I started a lease agreement for a 3Shape D500 with Premium software and a ProJet 1200 printer back in November of 2014. The lease ends around January 2017. I am a one person lab and thought I should make a go of it with the printer for all my PFMs, FGC and eMax. I have struggled with the printer for a long time and gave up on it about three months ago. I felt so relieved to go back to waxing! I know some folks are having success with this printer but I have not. Long story short.... I think I should sell my scanner to lessen the hit I am taking on paying for this lease. Maybe I could do design work for someone out of the area? I live in a pretty rural part of Northern California and there is not much intra-oral scanning going on and certainly no Trios.

I have been using the PJ1200 for jewelry making only now ( margins and cement gaps not an issue! ) I supose I could sell the computer with the 3Shape software too. There is almost two years left on the software package I got.

I took a risk getting this set up because the printing was going to potentially let me team up with another local lab. I couldn't in good faith "push" what I was dealing with in print consistency on the other lab. So now I am hemorrhaging money

Any suggestions? Anyone interested in buying this? ( not the printer ;) )
Why don't you add a mill to your portfolio? How much ZR are you doing? Do you want to mill wax and pmma?

R

rterra

Reaction score
Not for myself, but for others here, who is your re-seller, who has the 3Shape license? Maybe not that it matters so much, as it sometimes it can be, should be? just a paperwork transfer.

Hey Car 54,

My re-seller is WhipMix. I have no beef with them. They have told me to just try and sell it. I guess the terms would just transfer over along with the equipment.

I have really enjoyed using the software it's just that the technology of this printing process doesn't lend it's self to my standard of quality. I think it is great for other applications. Trying to adjust the fit of the printed patterns got to be maddening.

I wonder if I should try to get on that Trios thing and design for folks out of my area?

Thanks,

Randy

R

rterra

Reaction score
Why don't you add a mill to your portfolio? How much ZR are you doing? Do you want to mill wax and pmma?

KIM,

I am doing no zirconia. I work with four dentists who are still only interested in PFMs and FGCs. Occasionally they ask for eMax. The printer seemed like a way for me to adapt to the new technology while still satisfying my clients needs. I was hoping to print for the other big lab in our community and then move on to other products once I learned the ropes.

The other lab here is likely to move on to Sirona and get a mill here locally. We are really kind of in the boonies and there is not a lot of CAD-Cam dentistry happening.

Thanks,

Randy

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hey Car 54,

My re-seller is WhipMix. I have no beef with them. They have told me to just try and sell it. I guess the terms would just transfer over along with the equipment.

I have really enjoyed using the software it's just that the technology of this printing process doesn't lend it's self to my standard of quality. I think it is great for other applications. Trying to adjust the fit of the printed patterns got to be maddening.

I wonder if I should try to get on that Trios thing and design for folks out of my area?

Thanks,

Randy

From what I've heard around here, WhipMix has a good reputation, so I really don't see that as being a issue, either.

I do like your thought about the printer helping to keep you in the loop with technology, but IMO, the scanner is what will do more of that for you.

At least the D500 (it's what I have, premium and abutment module) keeps your foot in the door of keeping up with the direction the industry is heading and of what may come down the road, as you mentioned, Trios designs, sending PFM frames, emax frames or monolithic out to Argen etc when you're busy, can be helpful, too. Others here know way more about Trios than I do, maybe they will have some input for you?

Maybe as you had said, sell the printer, and use that money to help offset your monthly payments until you see if the scanner is still an option for you. Chances are, if you're luck is like mine, you'd get rid of the scanner and the next day you'll find out you'd need it, or could start using it.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It's kind of a step backwards to be making pfms from a Trios scan. Switch them over to fczs or emax monolithic for your posteriors and go from there.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
KIM,

I am doing no zirconia. I work with four dentists who are still only interested in PFMs and FGCs. Occasionally they ask for eMax. The printer seemed like a way for me to adapt to the new technology while still satisfying my clients needs. I was hoping to print for the other big lab in our community and then move on to other products once I learned the ropes.

The other lab here is likely to move on to Sirona and get a mill here locally. We are really kind of in the boonies and there is not a lot of CAD-Cam dentistry happening.

Thanks,

Randy

Maybe if you are still friendly w/ the other lab, scan and design, have them mill your wax? Many of us here on DLN mill our wax for most applications.
Having a scanner also makes it easy to outsource any other product you don't care to produce in house.

Otherwise, there's a "for sale" thread in the forum. Look under the "forum" list somewhere near the bottom.

user name

user name

Reaction score
KIM,

Thanks,

Randy
The doctors arent interested because you havent led the way. Ive never met a doctor that didnt want the best; pretty, strong, metal free, healthy gingiva.

Im prying, but where is this 'boonies' that is cut off from the rest of the world?

Also...what is your payment on the scanner? You can PM me if youre more comfortable...
I ask not to be nosey; I have a couple ideas for you.

R

rterra

Reaction score
Maybe if you are still friendly w/ the other lab, scan and design, have them mill your wax? Many of us here on DLN mill our wax for most applications.
Having a scanner also makes it easy to outsource any other product you don't care to produce in house.

Otherwise, there's a "for sale" thread in the forum. Look under the "forum" list somewhere near the bottom.

Gru,

Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about that. I don't know when they are going to get there mill but that would be a possibility. I imagine the CAM file is better interpreted by a mill than by this printer.

I will move to the for sale thread as soon as I choose a course of action.

Thanks,

Randy

R

rterra

Reaction score
The doctors arent interested because you havent led the way. Ive never met a doctor that didnt want the best; pretty, strong, metal free, healthy gingiva.

Im prying, but where is this 'boonies' that is cut off from the rest of the world?

Also...what is your payment on the scanner? You can PM me if youre more comfortable...
I ask not to be nosey; I have a couple ideas for you.

I understand where you are coming from. I have one main clinic I work for and the lead dentist is old school. The "fresh" new dentist that join are definitely interested in other options. I should be a little for encouraging.

I'll PM you.

Randy

R

rterra

Reaction score
It's kind of a step backwards to be making pfms from a Trios scan. Switch them over to fczs or emax monolithic for your posteriors and go from there.

That would be fantastic! But it would take a while of getting them on board. I think I would rather move to working with the other lab that already has docs that scan and slowly get this clinic to adapt to where things are really going.