VHF Problems

J

Jules

Reaction score
I have had some help from reseller they think its air pressure to low. Hopefully get some more help next week

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I have had some help from reseller they think its air pressure to low. Hopefully get some more help next week

What was the pressure set at? If I recall it has to be around 100psi to be on the plus side. Who is your reseller? Mine is Talladium.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

J

Jules

Reaction score
Sorry Sevan
I've been working in bar. for dry milling I was told six. Now I've been told needs to be seven bar for wet although lava ultimate is dry so think they mean seven for anything in a block. I haven't tried yet just building up the courage

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yeah mine is almost at 8 bar. What also is running off the compressor? Is it dedicated to the mill only or mixed with lab hand pieces and air nozels? Keep in mind the cfm as well it need to be able to support that as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
truth. make sure the air you're blowing is consistent. Between contact plate and the fact that the tools are gripped by air pressure make that mill such a let down. but other than that stuff, it will accomplish 80% of what all labs need.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
truth. make sure the air you're blowing is consistent. Between contact plate and the fact that the tools are gripped by air pressure make that mill such a let down. but other than that stuff, it will accomplish 80% of what all labs need.

Maybe the VHF version but the Weiland Select wet mill does a pretty good job. I am in the works of getting the VHF 5axis dry. no need for wet milling I outsource my Ti abutments and we press all our e.max. To me wet milling is pointless and doesn't really fit in our production needs. Plus the up keep and cleaning is more work then needed. Just my view, might work good for others needs.

The VHF mills are built amazing for what they can do, usually just boils down to user error and lack or information from the reseller and the MFG is no where in the picture, it's pretty sad.

K

KIM

Reaction score
You are entirely correct, in fact it is also critical to make sure both the air nozzles near the spindle are clear but also the "Blocking vents" in the spindle itself. CLEAN, DRY air is essential in addition to "Consistent" because if you have any contamination in your airlines, it will create a "Zirconia slurry" gunk that will clog both air locations and damage your spindle, cause frequent touch point issues, etc......

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
the select and 5k-S1 VHF moved away from pressure grip - only the 4k / Wieland Mini has that style of tool holding

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Mill test objects maybe their are same size pmma s out mill P1 and P3 and check the walls . if not mill them in a normal blank two for A axis and two for B axis each placed opposite the respective axis of rotation in the Blank. Walls and thickness must be always 0.5 mm if not calibration ??? or additional manual correction of the calibration !!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuvv17rtda358vu/Testteil_PMMA_x00.stl?dl=0

A

adl

Reaction score
Hi there ! I have a vhf mill 4 axis ,milling wax and zirconia. The mill is 3 years old and I have always had issues with the touch point. On average I have to move the touch point every month and I was told it is normal maintence procedure . Is this really normal? That sounds so abnormal to me especially when this is the first time I'm told that . How often do you have to move the touch point on your mill ? Any imput is greatly appreciated .i forgot to mention I have a drier and a filter attached to my compressor. I have 100 percent clean and dry air,no moisture whatsoever .thank you

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hi there ! I have a vhf mill 4 axis ,milling wax and zirconia. The mill is 3 years old and I have always had issues with the touch point. On average I have to move the touch point every month and I was told it is normal maintence procedure . Is this really normal? That sounds so abnormal to me especially when this is the first time I'm told that . How often do you have to move the touch point on your mill ? Any imput is greatly appreciated .i forgot to mention I have a drier and a filter attached to my compressor. I have 100 percent clean and dry air,no moisture whatsoever .thank you

When I was checking into a vhf mill, I talked to a mill maintenance tech for a company we would all know. He mentioned that the touch off issue was a known issue, and that I should just consider keeping some extras on hand, and replacing them as they were cheap?

When I checked into the Mini, I told them of that concern, and they said they really hadn't had any issues or complaints concerning that. I ended up in purchasing the mini, and haven't had a touch plate/point issue for ~5 months. Granted, I only do wax and PMMA, but it sounds like you keep a clean interior. I know this doesn't help much, but maybe it's the brand of vhf mill?

Edit: what type of burs are you using for your zirconia? I think some diamond burs can cause some grief of abnormal wear of touch plates where it can't get the proper electrical signal from the bur to the plate, and divot it after awhile? Others here with more knowledge can maybe correct that if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

Constantly keep the chamber and touch off area clean of ZR dust, also take a tooth brush and brush around the spindle head to keep that clean. Highly recommended you take the mill apart once every 6 months or so and blow off the inside of the mill to keep the boards clean of Zr dust as well. They are highly touchy mills if you neglect them. I also made extra ground strap to all axis board and plate to ensure a better conductivity. I also run one of my mills as a wax pmma only and the other as a Zr only and have no issues.

Keep count of units on the burs and change them out when they get close to the end of life and the .6mm is the biggest culprit in the game. Just try to keep the shaft of the tools clean of Zr dust as well to ensure a good conductive connection between the tool and the chuck. Keep the inside of the spindle clean as well.

The biggest thing you won't see is the Zr powder on the back of the main board, use a electric cleaner like CRC QD electroinc Cleaner, it is a red can, quick drying. Take the main board out and clean all the plugs and board, let dry then put back togeter. Take pics of where each plug goes so you know where to put them when you re assemble it.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
When I was checking into a vhf mill, I talked to a mill maintenance tech for a company we would all know. He mentioned that the touch off issue was a known issue, and that I should just consider keeping some extras on hand, and replacing them as they were cheap?

Talladium has them for cheaper the most others, like 26.00, a good stock is a good thing i have 3-4 just incase.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Edit: what type of burs are you using for your zirconia? I think some diamond burs can cause some grief of abnormal wear of touch plates where it can't get the proper electrical signal from the bur to the plate, and divot it after awhile? Others here with more knowledge can maybe correct that if I'm wrong.

I use and highly recommend sierra diamonds for the VHF only on the 2mm, use the Sierra Razor sharp in the 1mm and the MFG .6mm extremely good setup, 2mm gets 350-450+ the 1mm razor sharp get upward of 2mm cuts and the .60 350 then I change it out. All those number are on my Zr only mill.

Also run the Razor Sharp 2mm and 1mm on my wax mill and they go forever with no issues of crashing for a very long time.

Here is my current log
I circled the new start of the burs and the .6 carried over 49 units from the old chart.
20160120_091923.jpg

I keep track of the units cut on each bur, gives me a better time of when the burs are to be changed out before a big bridge or big night run.

Last edited:
Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Car 54- From what I understand the zr is the problem with this mill- adl only uses the re-seller recommended burs. I have the same mill. I only mill wax and pmma- no problems. Period.
Might want to stay away from zr?

Paging the rest of you doing zr- your 2 cents?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
So far excellent informative posts, you all...at least for me. Thanks :)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Car 54- From what I understand the zr is the problem with this mill- adl only uses the re-seller recommended burs. I have the same mill. I only mill wax and pmma- no problems. Period.
Might want to stay away from zr?

Paging the rest of you doing zr- your 2 cents?

Gru 50.00 for only 70-110 units is a huge loss IMO, i am happy with my setup in burs and have no issues. But to play it safe stick with MFG and loose money like they planned it out to be. LOL

Sierra is the only conductive bur on the market proven to on the VHF platform.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Talladium has them for cheaper the most others, like 26.00, a good stock is a good thing i have 3-4 just incase.

I did get some of their carbides, just put the 2.5 and 1.0 in last week. I'll see how they go.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score

Gru 50.00 for only 70-110 units is a huge loss IMO, i am happy with my setup in burs and have no issues. But to play it safe stick with MFG and loose money like they planned it out to be. LOL

Sierra is the only conductive bur on the market proven to on the VHF platform.

Totally agree. Only commenting on the facts as they exist and eliminating obvious questions about the issue.

Top Bottom