very old denture flask press with no pressure gauge

H

hermitcrab

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a fellow pros technician, I recently started working in a small lab inside dentists office, there is a very old press there as i mentioned in the title, basically it can be tightened with a very large turning handle on top, but there is no pump or gauge, would this still work ok?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
These are still being made and are used daily all over the world including in my lab in the US.

H

hermitcrab

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, if do you have any tips for success? Is it not important as I have been led to believe, to put the flask/denture under a specific amount of pressure?
Is closing until tight, doing a couple of trial packs, all I need to do?

H

hermitcrab

Reaction score
fill short to long, trial pack 2-3 times until flash occurs, trim, add a pea size and then crank it closed.

Thank you!

Can you explain what you mean by fill short to long?

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Try not to overfill mold on first fill. I usually fill enough to imprint the ridge, then fill the cavity, then a last fill where the acrylic just breaches onto land area.

H

hermitcrab

Reaction score
Try not to overfill mold on first fill. I usually fill enough to imprint the ridge, then fill the cavity, then a last fill where the acrylic just breaches onto land area.
Okay thanks, I will try that. I was taught to over pack.

G

Giovanni

Reaction score
Check the pressure on the air compressor less then 80psi is good
when filling the top flask with lab stone place the flask in flask press and leave till the stone hardens this way the flask parts comes into contact not the stone and if you measure the acrylic pre denture you should fill completely turn the press knob slowly remove excess add the excess and repeat if you mix the lab stone correctly you should not break the stone hope this helps.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I think his set up does not have a gage . . .
LCM

Marylandfarmer

Marylandfarmer

Reaction score
This sounds like the "Big Boy". I used one for years in Texas and we use them for outreach dental clinics. I left one in the jungle of the Dominican Republic that we use when we are doing outreach work. My experience has been very good with these. Just make sure the acrylic is not too stiff, close slowly and make sure you have good flash. If it is not bolted down, like the one we use in the DR, you will need someone to hold it while tightening.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
This sounds like the "Big Boy". I used one for years in Texas and we use them for outreach dental clinics. I left one in the jungle of the Dominican Republic that we use when we are doing outreach work. My experience has been very good with these. Just make sure the acrylic is not too stiff, close slowly and make sure you have good flash. If it is not bolted down, like the one we use in the DR, you will need someone to hold it while tightening.
Bolt that bad big boy to a piece of wood and you can step on it and it will still be mobile. Its what did.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Okay thanks, I will try that. I was taught to over pack.
Were you taught on the job? It is certainly easiest to overpack. Did you remount and mill the dentures back into VDO? Back when I press packed. I would overpack, press, trim close to border, repress, trim, add a smidge, and final press.