Versamill 5x400 vs MC X5?

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
What you guys think? I'm finally looking to get on the wet train...looking to mill emax and custom Ti abutments. I know someone with an MC X5 and loves it

Edit: Ti abutments not a priority

Last edited:
RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
I have no personal use with either mill you listed, however we use the VHF S1, it cuts emax without a flaw. We achieve margins that don't require thinning in the blue state. The Dental Cam software sucks though, its as locked up as it comes. The IMES 350i was a great work horse but the spindle required frequent rebuilds. It was run with SUM3D though which was a huge plus. We chose to stay away from the DWX-4W as it is more of a chair side mill, I don't see it being reliable for big production numbers. It does have a Jager spindle however and can be used with SUM3D. If you're not planning to do a ton of emax, it may do the job and a decent price point, but I don't believe it can cut Ti. We had a sirona mill that was constantly breaking down, needing parts and Sirona was a pain to deal with. The 5x400 is a great machine for emax and some Ti, but it isn't recommended for continuous use with Ti. I guess it comes down to how much material you want to do right away - do you want to spend as little as possible to get in the game and upgrade later, or spend the bucks up front and not have to replace down the road? Most of these machines only have a recommended 5-7 year lifespan anyway...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
dwx4w was for emax only. nobody i know with one has been thrilled.

alfredmorad@gmail.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
What you guys think? I'm finally looking to get on the wet train...looking to mill emax and custom Ti abutments. I know someone with an MC X5 and loves it
Hi MCTeeth, I would love to talk to you about the VersaMILL line of products. You can reach me at 248-926-8810 or PM me with you contact info.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
I have no personal use with either mill you listed, however we use the VHF S1, it cuts emax without a flaw. We achieve margins that don't require thinning in the blue state. The Dental Cam software sucks though, its as locked up as it comes. The IMES 350i was a great work horse but the spindle required frequent rebuilds. It was run with SUM3D though which was a huge plus. We chose to stay away from the DWX-4W as it is more of a chair side mill, I don't see it being reliable for big production numbers. It does have a Jager spindle however and can be used with SUM3D. If you're not planning to do a ton of emax, it may do the job and a decent price point, but I don't believe it can cut Ti. We had a sirona mill that was constantly breaking down, needing parts and Sirona was a pain to deal with. The 5x400 is a great machine for emax and some Ti, but it isn't recommended for continuous use with Ti. I guess it comes down to how much material you want to do right away - do you want to spend as little as possible to get in the game and upgrade later, or spend the bucks up front and not have to replace down the road? Most of these machines only have a recommended 5-7 year lifespan anyway...
Hi Ryan

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score

I'm willing to spend bucks up front to get in the game. Reliability has value. I don't think we are high production as I just checked the numbers over a year range and we averaged around 80 e.max a month....4 a day. Is that volume considered "chair side" numbers? Not interested in milling Ti anymore...but maybe, I dunno

Last edited:
McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
dwx4w was for emax only. nobody i know with one has been thrilled.
I heard it had some issues for the 1st year or so (not sure what issues),but now it's fine...Are the people you know still not thrilled and letting it collect dust? I know @grant somers hasn't been thrilled

M

mmbh

Reaction score
We have an MC X5. Our next mill will be a 5x400. The mc x5 had some trouble right out of the gate. Had about a year. Do alot of cerec connect cases. Since then it has been okay, small things here and there, but it is running all day every day. 98% zirconia, the rest is emax and pmma. Mills them all nicely. It mills emax fine but it is slow so I don't use it much for that. It is overpriced for what you get.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
kinda have to mill emax slow. too fast you just cook diamond coatings, and when you grind too fast on emax it reacts much like a sponge - you see a lot of rest material simply because the tool deflected enough to leave you a poorly cut part. so you fit it thinking man we told this machine to perfectly cut this internal surface, but theres still material whats going on here; and it ends up to be not correctly attacking the material.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Check out the DOF sharp2 , Im ordering one this week. Nice little mill for the price, running hyperdent.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
kinda have to mill emax slow. too fast you just cook diamond coatings, and when you grind too fast on emax it reacts much like a sponge - you see a lot of rest material simply because the tool deflected enough to leave you a poorly cut part. so you fit it thinking man we told this machine to perfectly cut this internal surface, but theres still material whats going on here; and it ends up to be not correctly attacking the material.
Yes maybe so, but I meant i don't have the time. I'd rather mill 3 zirconia instead. Once in awhile we'll mill some rush emax cases. Milling and sintering emax is a nicer workflow than pressing, but not as profitable for us.

C

Chad Gardner

Reaction score
What’s the price on the DOF Sharp?

Top Bottom