Ventilation for burnout furnace?

N

NDA

Reaction score
So I've been using a regular household range hood for the room with ring furnace for burnout. It didn't work great and now it's finally broken. So I'm thinking of buying new range hood. The furnaces are right next to the exit, but It's going to be awful, having to keep the door open in the middle of summer or winter. But I need that ventilation with all that odor and fume. Maybe restaurant range hood, for more power to the fans? Range hood was my solution for this, but I'm curious. What do you all use for ventilation?

doug

doug

Reaction score
We use a range hood, but have it ducted outside so the fumes leave the building. I think you can get a self-contained unit from Quatro( I think it's them). Probably more money than you want to spend though

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I too used an ordinary household range hood in my lab, it’s ducted outdoors but it doesn’t work great. My uncle had a larger hood built by tin knockers that uses a 10” or 12” fan in the ductwork. It worked great. I’ve got it now and whenever I get around to remodeling that part of the lab, I plan to use it.

N

NDA

Reaction score
The broken one was the household range hood. It didn't work so great even before it was broken. Do you happen to know the power of the fan for your range hood? I'm actually thinking to purchase restaurant range hood now, but the cost does go up greatly.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So I've been using a regular household range hood for the room with ring furnace for burnout. It didn't work great and now it's finally broken. So I'm thinking of buying new range hood. The furnaces are right next to the exit, but It's going to be awful, having to keep the door open in the middle of summer or winter. But I need that ventilation with all that odor and fume. Maybe restaurant range hood, for more power to the fans? Range hood was my solution for this, but I'm curious. What do you all use for ventilation?
At my old lab we had a standard range fan, and even with it behind a pocket door and vented directly outside you could still tell it if the door wasn't closed good or if the weather was odd.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The broken one was the household range hood. It didn't work so great even before it was broken. Do you happen to know the power of the fan for your range hood? I'm actually thinking to purchase restaurant range hood now, but the cost does go up greatly.
Are you asking me?

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Not all range hoods are equal. You get what you pay for. 160 c.f.m for $95 or 350-400 c.f.m. for $450-$900 at your big box home improvement store. Also, consider having an enclosure made to trap/remove the heat and odor from your lab in conjunction with your exterior venting.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I too used an ordinary household range hood in my lab, it’s ducted outdoors but it doesn’t work great. My uncle had a larger hood built by tin knockers that uses a 10” or 12” fan in the ductwork. It worked great. I’ve got it now and whenever I get around to remodeling that part of the lab, I plan to use it.
Great minds think alike...
20180412_122815.jpg 20180412_122847.jpg

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Here is my set up. Super duty bathroom fan, maybe $120. Does a great job with 3 rings!

Attachments

• 20180412_193454.jpeg.jpg
    20180412_193454.jpeg.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 20180412_193155.jpeg.jpg
    20180412_193155.jpeg.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 123
Bumfrey

Bumfrey

Reaction score
I use an upside down sink with a bathroom extraction fan hose attached lol. Found at the dump. Free except labor. Its out of the way and one one sees it so whatever. It works.

Baobabtree

Baobabtree

Reaction score
A good friend of mine simply has copper pipe flue probably 22mm diameter covering the chimney and venting directly outside through the wall. No noisy extractor fans, in his small lab.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I use an upside down sink with a bathroom extraction fan hose attached lol. Found at the dump. Free except labor. Its out of the way and one one sees it so whatever. It works.
Bathroom extraction fan?
Like this?
50_C5940_C-6_FCE-4_EBB-8_D86-_EDEF80_F0_B3_D6.jpg

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Old school style. Out the basement, to the garage, up out the roof.

Attachments

• 20180413_093812.jpg
    20180413_093812.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 20180413_093854.jpg
    20180413_093854.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 20180413_093931.jpg
    20180413_093931.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 81
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I just want to say you guys have some very creative ways how to burn down :p

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
A good friend of mine simply has copper pipe flue probably 22mm diameter covering the chimney and venting directly outside through the wall. No noisy extractor fans, in his small lab.

Nice idea! I'm moving my lab, therefore have to do a redesign (and my vent fan is about dead). Thanks.

user name

user name

Reaction score
doug

doug

Reaction score
One thing we did to the fan was to give the blades a little more pitch to try and help increase the air flow. I'm no expert, but it seems to be working.

Top Bottom