VariFlex splints

orthodent

orthodent

Reaction score
You can definately add acrylic to veriflex, after it's cured of course.

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
I tried a little experiment with the variflex. I took an old variflex splint (unfinished, because I didn't like the way it turned out.) I added cold cure acrylic to it. Let it cure then I warmed up the Variflex and started flexing it. That cold cure popped right out of there, Makes since, since the cold cure is not flexible and the veriflex is.

As far as the cuspid rises and such. I grind them in ( or grind everything else down around them.)

To make the varflex I ended up use the Bead, box and pour method. ( stolen from the Denture people)
I take square wax ropes and apply it to the gingival margin all the way around the labial buccal sides. and a little further down from the gingival margin the the palate.
Then I take boxing wax (1/6") and stick that to the square wax rope and extend it straignt up about 5mm past the occlusal plane. it should make a horseshoe shape. So you are pretty much making a form for the splint. I then mix up my variflex acrylic and using the vibrator, pour it in to the form. ( you have to do this quickly because you only have like 40 seconds after you start mixing) Its nasty stuff like trying to pour molasses.
Then I close the articulator shoving the lower teeth into the pooled variflex.(dont worry about breaking off teeth, because it you pull it apart while the variflex is still warm from the pressure pot it will flex and not break off teeth.) Then put it in the pressure pot.
There is a lot of grinding involved but it is easily to grind. but with all that extra acrylic you can make (leave) cuspid rises and occlusal differences.

YOu will get bubbles in the molasses is now way around it, unless someone here has a better method :)

orthodent

orthodent

Reaction score
You must not of gotten a good bond.

That is a very interesting technique you are using. Complicated though. We mix up 3/4 oz of powder to 1/2 oz liquid, pouring the powder while mixing into the liquid or else you start to get what I call the ghost spots of white in the appliance. Then we coat our hands in vaseline and pick up the doughy when you can see it barely move in the cup. Then you have about 20 sec. I snake it out between two fingers and wrap it on the occlusion. Then push down the lingual and buccal sides and vwala! Make Sure the appliance is submerged in water in the pressure pot.
We don't get any porosity that way and it's about five minutes from start to finish. Not much grinding if you can get the formula down and apply it quick enough.

Hard to work with in the beginning but once you get the hang of it, it's nice stuff

Last edited:
Kreyer

Kreyer

Reaction score
I have been using Variflex from Great Lakes Prosthodontics for about a year. The material is fantastic and has many uses (surgical guides, undercut retention for baeplates and stayplates..) Have not encountered any bonding problems with cold cure clear to Variflex for the surgical guides I make. For occlusal splints I mount on an average value articulator with centric relation bite record, adjust proper VDO and set incisal pin, wax the splint base then create desired anterior disclusion ramp with slight posterior contacts, and invest/process in a flask or Polymaster.

With this technique there is very minimal if any equlibration needed. All equilibration is done in wax and verified after processing.

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
We mix up 3/4 oz of powder to 1/2 oz liquid, pouring the powder while mixing into the liquid or else you start to get what I call the ghost spots of white in the appliance.

Hard to work with in the beginning but once you get the hang of it, it's nice stuff

I think you found my problem! I was beginning to suspect this and was slowly adding more liquid ( or less powder). I was using a 2 powder to 1 liquid ratio. and I was getting "ghost spots" all over the place! Plus as I was pouring into the liquid it was setting to fast before I could get all the powder in.

Im gonna try this dough method next time with Variflex ( its my favorite way with cold cure splints!) I did try it the first time, with bad results, Hence the splint I can test on.
I guess I gave up too easily on the cold cure. I saw that it bonded to it, but it still didn't like the flexing I submitted it to. Of course, im sure most patients will not flex it like I did!:D

Plus I have the liquid in the refrigerator ( a little experiment for next time),I though it being cold would give me more mixing time, what do you think?

do you wax any borders ( or hot glue in Labdude's case) as you would with a salt and pepper technique? and push the acrylic against it, Or is the material rubbery enough at that point that you "wrap " it around the occlusion that it doesn't go any where?

@Kreyer I like the flasking technique too. I did it a couple of times in school, with great results. But I never invested in flasking equipment.

orthodent

orthodent

Reaction score
Just make sure to pour the powder into the liquid. Cooling the monomer might help too. I don't do any waxing just wrap the acrylic around the teeth. It gets hard enough where is doesn't slump and if it does you can push it back in place. The ratio I use is right on though leaving little to trim.

O

OACORTHO

Reaction score
I tried a little experiment with the variflex. I took an old variflex splint (unfinished, because I didn't like the way it turned out.) I added cold cure acrylic to it. Let it cure then I warmed up the Variflex and started flexing it. That cold cure popped right out of there, Makes since, since the cold cure is not flexible and the veriflex is.

Cade,

I add cold cure acrylic for one of my Doctors. I do so in the pouring process. I box everything out in wax the same and mix the variflex and pour it onto the model leaving the cusp tips exposed and then salt and pepper cold cure on top. Makes a nice splint!

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
salt and pepper cold cure on top. Makes a nice splint!

Sweet, I will have to try that seems like you get the best of both worlds. and the "wet" mixing of the 2 types of acrylics must make for an excellent bond

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Heh Orthodent my facebook friend! I did a comparison on your facebook between Variflex and Talon.
Strange about it popping off I do 6-8 of these a week and never had this happened.
Ive even repaired them, Variflex is more brittle than talon and will tend to crack
BUT Talon Yellows like an OLD smokers lunge

O

opsinfo

Reaction score
Variflex alternative

Is threre any other heat softening acylic except from Variflex. I want it , mainly for making Positioners and Sleep apnea- snoring devices. Also It would be nice If we could avoid flasking procedure. My problem is that I cannot order Variflex because my Lab is in Europe , Greece, and Great lakes company doesn't ship outside USA- Canada.!!

E

eden800303

Reaction score
Price request for the variflex kit

Hi
my name is Jae. I am in Sydney.
I am intrest about variflex kit.
Would u let me know the price and flight fee to Australia?
My email add is [email protected]
thank u

F

fishbowl

Reaction score
Hi Kreyer,

Quick question for you, and perhaps a naive question regarding occlusal splints. I am a newer tech haha, so bare with me.

How do you know how much to open the case on the articulator? As I set everything accordingly to the bite the doctor sends me, or hand articulate the case if the bite record is off, but when my splints are fitted in the patient, the posteriors prematurely contact preventing bilateral contacts. I've tried opening the VDO a little more, and have yet to hear from a couple doctors.

Thank you for you patience

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Hi Kreyer,

Quick question for you, and perhaps a naive question regarding occlusal splints. I am a newer tech haha, so bare with me.

How do you know how much to open the case on the articulator? As I set everything accordingly to the bite the doctor sends me, or hand articulate the case if the bite record is off, but when my splints are fitted in the patient, the posteriors prematurely contact preventing bilateral contacts. I've tried opening the VDO a little more, and have yet to hear from a couple doctors.

Thank you for you patience
If U can get them to use the nice white wax bite from Dolphin, that would help. Otherwise mount on a real articulator with an anterior guide pin, when mounting measure from the condyle point to the mid lower centrals 105mm, & open with the guide pin (not the crap in the back) until U don't have any contacts during the Wilson excursions. if the curvature of alignment of the occlusal surfaces corresponds to the curve of Spee, UR contacts should be very close.
at2_gstatic_com_images_ac1462af63c8b447c1180cfb980ee698._.jpg
When U do your mill in you should have lines on the splint in the anterior creating a cuspid disclusion and only contact dots in the posterior region.

For a sweet material call Doug at Astron and ask for a sample of Clearsplint, watch the temperature cure under pressure and enjoy the real stuff. Even after doing this stuff 44years I still sometimes feel like a newbie. :D

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Is threre any other heat softening acylic except from Variflex. I want it , mainly for making Positioners and Sleep apnea- snoring devices. Also It would be nice If we could avoid flasking procedure. My problem is that I cannot order Variflex because my Lab is in Europe , Greece, and Great lakes company doesn't ship outside USA- Canada.!!

U don't have PM yet, try to e-mail Doug at Astron, I believe they go by another name in Europe they are the parent company of Luxene.
[email protected]

Last edited:
F

fishbowl

Reaction score
If U can get them to use the nice white wax bite from Dolphin, that would help. Otherwise mount on a real articulator with an anterior guide pin, when mounting measure from the condyle point to the mid lower centrals 105mm, & open with the guide pin (not the crap in the back) until U don't have any contacts during the Wilson excursions. if the curvature of alignment of the occlusal surfaces corresponds to the curve of Spee, UR contacts should be very close.
When U do your mill in you should have lines on the splint in the anterior creating a cuspid disclusion and only contact dots in the posterior region.

For a sweet material call Doug at Astron and ask for a sample of Clearsplint, watch the temperature cure under pressure and enjoy the real stuff. Even after doing this stuff 44years I still sometimes feel like a newbie.
:D

Thank you AJEL!! That's very useful info, I'll definitely try it out!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Hasty Nightguard series

Here R 2 shots of wax up on Pfingst KSK modified articulator.
[URL=http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l546/Ajels/Basic%20Nightguard/?action=view&current=IMG_0128.jpg] ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_Basic_20Nightguard_th_IMG_0128.jpg[/URL]

Basic%20Nightguard
[/URL][/IMG]
Clicking on these might get U into a series hastily ut together a few years ago.

ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_Basic_20Nightguard_th_IMG_0128.jpg