Valplast repair bubles

K

keroassidy

Reaction score
When adding heat with a hot air welder to older valplast I get instant bubbles.
Duraflex and unbreakable don't have this prob. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong and how you add tooth to existing valplast?

K

karlanm

Reaction score
So the correct way to repair a valplast/tcs is this method:

1: Pour pickup imp
2: Hydrocolloid dup both. (Remove extreme undercuts on partial)
3: remove partial from model and place in dup
4: pour dup
5: wax tooth with diatorics
6: flask dup and partial, cover everything but wax up
7: during boil out leave partial side in hot water
8: start to heat material.
9: with 5-6 minutes on timer, boil clean partial side
10: paint on tcs or valplast acid
11: inject like normal
12 finish like normal

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
So the correct way to repair a valplast/tcs is this method:

1: Pour pickup imp
2: Hydrocolloid dup both. (Remove extreme undercuts on partial)
3: remove partial from model and place in dup
4: pour dup
5: wax tooth with diatorics
6: flask dup and partial, cover everything but wax up
7: during boil out leave partial side in hot water
8: start to heat material.
9: with 5-6 minutes on timer, boil clean partial side
10: paint on tcs or valplast acid
11: inject like normal
12 finish like normal
lol you mean remake a new one...

K

karlanm

Reaction score
lol you mean remake a new one...
It often feels that way. There is a some hot shot system by TCS, saves a little time.

However, because you are duping, often the finishing is easy because the fit and path of draw is retained and no material is getting underneath the partial.

I'm the only lab in my area which accepts flexible repairs, for that reason.

K

keroassidy

Reaction score
Thank you for detailed reply.

K

karlanm

Reaction score
Thank you for detailed reply.
No problem. Make sure to get the repair acid for future cases, and do not remove the partial from the dup as that will allow seepage during injection.

They are a pretty large inconvenience, as JKraver implied....however it's kinda like a "suck it up moment" where the more you overthink your steps, the longer it'll take. Gotta dup and flask it, no matter what. It sucks.

The rewarding part is having the Dr realize other labs lied to them when they said "it can't be done, have to make a new one"....and you become their Rasputin.

Make sure to charge for the work. Should be at least $50 more than acrylic repair

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Duraflex and unbreakable don't have this prob. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong and how you add tooth to existing valplast?
THis is my process. Just had the one that is shown in the document come back in for adding another tooth. Added the tooth in the document in 2016 and it's still there even with it never being 'relined' under the tooth after resorption. It had close to 1/8'' of space under it.

If you have the equipment to make them, do it right. I don't want to make them. I make no promise on longevity with these adds, but I've only had one in over 5 years that I was told the tooth came out/off.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
It often feels that way. There is a some hot shot system by TCS, saves a little time.

However, because you are duping, often the finishing is easy because the fit and path of draw is retained and no material is getting underneath the partial.

I'm the only lab in my area which accepts flexible repairs, for that reason.
I stupidly bought that jp90 gun. Its a $800 caulk gun. Its a pain in the ass to use, and those "bullets"are not sold empty. So even though you could use multiple materials, your locked in to theirs. Unless you buy them, empty out TCS, and put in something else. The Myerson Hot Shot is a much better system. But still, the best way is to just flask it. You'll wind up spending the same amount of time as "the shortcut." Especially if it comes out flawed.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I stupidly bought that jp90 gun. Its a $800 caulk gun. Its a pain in the ass to use, and those "bullets"are not sold empty. So even though you could use multiple materials, your locked in to theirs. Unless you buy them, empty out TCS, and put in something else. The Myerson Hot Shot is a much better system. But still, the best way is to just flask it. You'll wind up spending the same amount of time as "the shortcut." Especially if it comes out flawed.
The only reason I looked at it at all was they were pushing it for unilateral RPDs/nesbits at release. I'm glad I stepped sideways.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
The only reason I looked at it at all was they were pushing it for unilateral RPDs/nesbits at release. I'm glad I stepped sideways.
One of the main problems is the capacity is too small. I don't wanna knock their device too bad, because on paper it's engineered well. But I couldn't recommend. Also multiple inquiries on empty bullets went unanswered.
Bottom line: Flask it

Last edited:
F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Thee is no secret. Valplast is nylon based, where Duraflex and some others are thermoplastic. A big difference.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Close, duracetyl resin(duraflex, snow rock) vs nylon(tcs, valplast)

All are thermoplastics.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Close, duracetyl resin(duraflex, snow rock) vs nylon(tcs, valplast)

All are thermoplastics.
Not according to manufacturers, nylon type absorbes water Thermoplastic do not, nylon put in the water it sinks, TP do not, nylon press at 560 degree and TP at 446 degree, you can polish TP just like an acrylic denture, nylon have 3 to 5 steps in shining and polishing. Both are pressed but in my opinion different animals.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Not according to manufacturers, nylon type absorbes water Thermoplastic do not, nylon put in the water it sinks, TP do not, nylon press at 560 degree and TP at 446 degree, you can polish TP just like an acrylic denture, nylon have 3 to 5 steps in shining and polishing. Both are pressed but in my opinion different animals.
Can I ask you to name materials that are considered thermoplastics under such a definition?

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Ok...before this turns into bedlam.....all flexibles are thermoplastic. Each thermoplastic can have different physical properties. Your confusing the category of thermoplastic with its resins (nylon, acetal, pvc, ptfe)

Ask Dr. Google

Thermoset vs Thermoplastic
The primary difference between the two is that Thermoset is a material that strengthens when heated, but cannot be remolded or heated after the initial forming, while thermoplastics can be reheated, remolded, and cooled as necessary without causing any chemical changes.

Last edited:
K

karlanm

Reaction score
Roses are red, violets are blue; Duraflex is a thermoplastic and tcs is too.