Vacuum forming a dual laminate

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Let us know how it holds up.
I repeated the process and it seems to work.The heat from the hard laminate appears to have stuck to the soft underside.
There is a dual laminate denture base that I'd like to be able to form as well.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I repeated the process and it seems to work.The heat from the hard laminate appears to have stuck to the soft underside.
There is a dual laminate denture base that I'd like to be able to form as well.
It would probably be best to heat both materials a bit so they bond better

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Need to buy a expensive machine.

Last edited:
I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
you got me there.

"They have no air inside for the vacuum to suck through."

That's what I thought 4 years ago so I experimented. Single laminates form no problem regardless of the thickness.
I posted the results on my FB Trios study Club page .

Ok. Enjoy your printed models...

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
A plaster, buff or to lesser extent die stone has air in it.... That's why they make vacu-mixers... to remove air... the vacuum sucks through the model (maybe a lot.... maybe a little.... but it does) I'm not getting into a pissing match here... to get the best result on any model not made of gypsum a positive pressure ALONG WITH a vacuum will offer best adaptation.... follered by positive and lastly by negative (vacuum). Had I known from the onset the op was using a printed model I would've advised differently. Get a positive pressure machine. My bad.
Thanks for urine put

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Pressure-Dome-510x510.jpg

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
Brand new.
The problem I'm having is that the peripheral stays colder than the center.
I can't seem to find the sweet spot as with other laminates.
Maybe a heat gun would help.
Any chance it could be the heating element? Are there issues with any other products? If not maybe slide the tray down an inch or two and give a little more heat to avoid bubbles?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Any chance it could be the heating element? Are there issues with any other products? If not maybe slide the tray down an inch or two and give a little more heat to avoid bubbles?
I've tried that too. It's hard to get an even melt with these elements.single laminates are fine but the dissimilar ones are the challenge.

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
I've tried that too. It's hard to get an even melt with these elements.single laminates are fine but the dissimilar ones are the challenge.
Fair enough. I’ve never used a dual laminate.just offering my initial thoughts.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the party, but our denture tech had the same problem with the same materials. Shes been using an old machine for a long time successfully with Proform and just two weeks ago couldn't get a good suck down without the center bubbling. She called the company that we ordered from, got a new box and has had no troubles since.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
A lot of the time bubbling is caused by moisture trapped in the 'foils'. They are hydrophilic and will absorb the ambient moisture. Putting them in the toaster oven at a low temp to drive off the moisture first will help.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Pro form has repackaged their material to avoid the moisture from what I see.
The other bubbles are from over heating the sheet.