Using Exocad and Zirkonzahn in the same lab

A

ATXtech

Reaction score
We are currently using Zirkonzahn to design and mill everything. Our only scanner and milling machines are both Zirkonzahn.
We're mostly using the Zirkonzahn software for all on 4 cases.
Right now, we're considering getting Exocad for another technician, on another computer, to design crowns and implant cases.
And we would like to be able to access all of the patient files, from both computers, one with Zirkonzahn and one with Exocad, scan and mill with both, as seamlessly as possible.
Does anyone know what its like to work with Exocad and Zirkonzahn together, that way?
Just wondering about the pros and cons of that scenario.
Thanks

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
I wouldn’t think there should be any problem getting them to work together. I think the ZZ software is actually their branded version of Exocad...

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i would check with ZZ .you may need an stl import export module ZZ software has a few tweaks that aren't the same as exocad even though zz is based on exocad.there some things you can do with ZZ that you cant with exocad. but once you get the stl module you should have no probs. Im interested If you have ZZ everything else why are you looking at Exocad? A simple life is way less stress.

A

ATXtech

Reaction score
Thank you. Exocad can do things that Zirkonzahn can't. And we can put Exocad on faster computers with more memory. Zirkonzahn only allows you to use computers that are built by them, with limited upgrades.....

G

grantoz

Reaction score
atxtech that is not correct you can use non genuine Zirkonzahn computers .an example of things you can do with only Zirkonzahn is their whole facehunter diagnostic occlusal appliances that are milled in multistratum and can flex over undercuts for try in s before the dentist preps you can also double mill with the ZZ system which is very helpful for All on 4 quick turn around .You pre mill the 1st 3/4 of the bridge once the dentist has sent a digital scan of the placed implants or an analog impression you can then mesh it together and mill the fitting surface in about an 1- 1.5hours. We pre milled one bridge 3 weeks before surgery. I hope this helps let me know if you have anymore questions. By the way we have also upgraded our computers a number of times new hard drives memory etc. The advantage of buying their computers is you know your not going to get surprises all i want to do is just come to work and make teeth. I said this before its an interesting mind set that techos have if they buy a new car they dont go and say i will buy the body but i dont want your engine because i have seen one i like better and then say what do you mean we cant do this or stupid thing doesn,t work properly or im so frustrated ive spent hours sorting it out. I have had an M5 now since 2008-9 it still mills full arches spot on .

joe.s

joe.s

NO-I'm NOT that beautiful
Reaction score
Zirkonzahn is great but a CLOSED system !
You will NOT be able to mill successfully your STL files designed in exocad !!!
I know, I have both .
And you are RIGHT - in US you can only have their Modellier working on computers from them.

Last edited:
G

grantoz

Reaction score
we have exocad and mill from the stls loaded in all the time. we mill from stls all over the country stls from sirona 3 shape . Do you guys have the STL import module

V

V-smile

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I'm running lab in UK. 4x M1,2xArti 600, 2x Turbo, 700.
Due a fact that we complained about quality of last new M1(problematic Freasen update a problematic M1 which leaks like hell) we got our support contract cancelled on all ZZ equipmant and software and ZZ refuse to sell any product to our lab, therefore we've came to conclusion to use Exocad.
You can fully integrate DATA BASE (defaultsettings db must be changed) and you can scan from ZZ scanner then do projects either on one or another.
You can't open project from one on another and other way round. But you can load scans from one scaner on both.
Also integration with Nesting is not working as exocad only has stl which must be imported manualy to Nesting.(obviously you need stl import on)