Use original they said.....

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Straumann said they send all of the factory seconds to Canada labs. Maybe that's the problem?Dontknow

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I don't mind Straumann Ti abutments at all.. no issues here.
I can even copy the design and reuse it to do a crown over abutment before it even arrives.. the fit is always exceptional, as it is with Tru abutment and Argen..
Nobel, on the other hand, suck ass on every level (for us)

yes, the cost difference is there.. but we get a lot of business from the reps

I haven't noticed a drop in Straumann quality, and wouldn't call the Ti abutments sub par. i'm curious as to how many milling centers they have, or why there is such a difference.. I have no experience with other Straumann materials

I think this is the second time I hear you state you are having issues with NOBEL we use them exclusively for all Ti, split file everything and the fits are absolutely perfect. I am happy to share if you need help with 3shape

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Nobel is pricey but the quality and fit is there as John states.

If I'm going to pay a premium for original then it better be a premium product.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

notice the chatter at the margin on Nobel
Straumann is nice and clean

John, are you using 2016?
our first abutments that were sent to Nobel, they rejected because of the minimum thickness error on the interface... we really could not get them to wrap their brains around the fact that we have nothing to do with it..

split files? nope.. not on 16.. but you know that already.
we get validation errors on every file.. but have to send it, wait, see
if you go back in and change an order after it's scanned.. proceed.. send.. wait.. track n trace.. wait.. it might show up.. but more than likely not

now, if I copy an order, add a crown, use the previously designed abutment, the abutment will distort 80% of the time and waste my time.. but, if it happens to go, the fit will be crap when it returns

Straumann? no issues at all, clean fit (milled in house)
FYI, I wasn't a Straumann fan before I moved to this lab, everything I did was Nobel, Argen.. some 3i & Ankylos

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Go back and look at your design for the abutment that has "chatter" take your two d cross section tool and look at your margin and tell me what you see.
Measure it and think of the tool that will be milling that area.

For the record I use 2014 for nobel abutments 2016 for everything else :)

Think about how the bur is cutting and how it runs across this WIDE shoulder and ask yourself WHY are you designing it this way

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
John, do you "roll back" to 14, or have a system with 14 on it?
i'll look at the design again.
I do, however, always run a cross section to check margin sub-G and also occlusal clearance.. but I will definitely take a second look tomorrow
ty

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

notice the chatter at the margin on Nobel
Straumann is nice and clean

John, are you using 2016?
our first abutments that were sent to Nobel, they rejected because of the minimum thickness error on the interface... we really could not get them to wrap their brains around the fact that we have nothing to do with it..

split files? nope.. not on 16.. but you know that already.
we get validation errors on every file.. but have to send it, wait, see
if you go back in and change an order after it's scanned.. proceed.. send.. wait.. track n trace.. wait.. it might show up.. but more than likely not

now, if I copy an order, add a crown, use the previously designed abutment, the abutment will distort 80% of the time and waste my time.. but, if it happens to go, the fit will be crap when it returns

Straumann? no issues at all, clean fit (milled in house)
FYI, I wasn't a Straumann fan before I moved to this lab, everything I did was Nobel, Argen.. some 3i & Ankylos

It's not that it's chatter above the margin...it's the fact that they don't have a smaller radius tool that goes in there and cleans up that radius the larger tool cannot reach. They need to fix their library to match what they mill with. Easy peasy!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It's not that it's chatter above the margin...it's the fact that they don't have a smaller radius tool that goes in there and cleans up that radius the larger tool cannot reach. They need to fix their library to match what they mill with. Easy peasy!

I see similar marks from Straumann ( opposite of Andrew).
Why would there be different results?

Is it a design issue I should consider?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'll check that out,thanks. That still doesn't explain why the abutments weren't polished though.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
they come off an assembly line of robots, i think. no hands touch them.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
they come off an assembly line of robots, i think. no hands touch them.

It's weird because Argen's are nicely polished and look finished. I don't have a problem with the drill radius either.
Yet Andrew's abutments are completely different.

Maybe we do get the sloppy seconds up here. I\m too busy to post any pics right now.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
theres more than one milling center. when we got signed up we were asked our location so they could custom make a dme for us. this is probably just a chance to disguise thefact that there are more than once center for milling, and need to select the right dme for our location.

but what do i know.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
my reps got some splaining to do.....

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I would say it has to do with the radius above the margin. If you're seeing some tool marks, increase your radius on your design until you receive
I'll check that out,thanks. That still doesn't explain why the abutments weren't polished though.

Some polish below the margin and others don't. Milling center's preference.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I would say it has to do with the radius above the margin. If you're seeing some tool marks, increase your radius on your design until you receive

Some polish below the margin and others don't. Milling center's preference.

wow

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
They charge extra for not polishing below the margin ?

wow

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
There's no extra charge for polishing below the margin for 3Shape users!