Use of Flux when pre soldering

W

wk2012wk

Reaction score
How do u apply Flux when pre soldering the framework? AFM didn't say anything about use of Flux for presoldering.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I brush a small amount on the joint, then dip my solder into the flux and melt the tip into a little ball, heat the framework, then introduce the solder, if the frame is hot enough, the solder should melt and be drawn into the joint. If you are soldering a joint that has a pontic on one side and an abutment on the other, make sure that the pontic is hot enough.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I put flux only where I want the solder to flow, very thin. For me that is on the two terminal ends of the joint and no where else. I put a small amount on the solder and wipe off any excess. After soldering and cooling I blast the joint with al02 and put the frame in HFL to break the bond of the remaining flux from the metal before finishing the frame for porcelain.
You will know if you leave any flux on the frame when it blows holes after the second firing.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I put flux only where I want the solder to flow, very thin. For me that is on the two terminal ends of the joint and no where else. I put a small amount on the solder and wipe off any excess. After soldering and cooling I blast the joint with al02 and put the frame in HFL to break the bond of the remaining flux from the metal before finishing the frame for porcelain.
You will know if you leave any flux on the frame when it blows holes after the second firing.

HFL = ?

W

wk2012wk

Reaction score
Yes I noticed when I put too much Flux opaque layer would not bond.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Might be missin' somthin', but I'd always found no issue of flux overage as after it cools, I'd retexture / refinish over the joint and surrounding area with carbides or cutoff disc in real tight spots, then AlO2 blast. There was no flux left on them after that to cause bonding issues or bubbles.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Remember to cut the metal Pontic ( or tell your dentist) for soldering on a bridge instead of the connection for more mm2 of surface to solder.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Zoiks, that can be nasty but amazing stuff. What molarity are you using and where are you getting it?
49%
From ADS

I have also used regular Strip-It which is HFL and Sufuric, but a much lower percentage, just takes a lot longer. The 49% is about 1 minute.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
49%
From ADS

I have also used regular Strip-It which is HFL and Sufuric, but a much lower percentage, just takes a lot longer. The 49% is about 1 minute.
Thanks!

W

wk2012wk

Reaction score
Could you explain more about HFL treatment on soldered hi noble framework?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Could you explain more about HFL treatment on soldered hi noble framework?

After the frame has cooled from soldering. I blast the surface on the joint to break the glazed surface of the flux. I then put it in a vial of HFL and put in the ultra sonic.
Depending on the strength of the acid will determine the time in the ultra sonic. If you get the 49% HFL, BE CAREFUL!, that stuff will burn you on contact.
After the acid bath I drop the frame into solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid. Inspect under magnification to make sure all of the flux is removed.
Then finish the metal. If you try to grind the flux off with rotary tools you stand the chance of burnishing some of the flux into the surface of the metal.
You will know you if you left flux on the frame when it bubbles the porcelain, sometimes at opaque sometimes at glaze.

If you are not familiar with HFL read about it!

W

wk2012wk

Reaction score
Thanks what's the safe HFL percentage for 75% gold hi noble alloy?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thanks what's the safe HFL percentage for 75% gold hi noble alloy?

I'm not meaning to condescend or mommy you, but he's really not even close to kidding about safety with that stuff. Inhalation issues, eye contact with fumes, and possible 2nd degree chem burns are all issues. Please read and use all possible safety precautions you can resonably institute.

smilesatgalleria

smilesatgalleria

Reaction score
with the help of a molten joining metal with a processing temperature below the solidus temperature of the alloys to be joined. The solder wets these alloys without melting them during soldering.

W

wk2012wk

Reaction score
with the help of a molten joining metal with a processing temperature below the solidus temperature of the alloys to be joined. The solder wets these alloys without melting them during soldering.
Are you saying there is no need for flux?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Are you saying there is no need for flux?

Some solders have flux incorporated in the alloy. Flux is not always necessary soldering, but it prevents the surface of the joint from oxidizing during the heating process.
I wouldn't listen to some unintelligible gibberish from a dental office that is here to covertly advertise.

Top Bottom