Upgrading PC, 64 0r 32bit for exocad?

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Hi, i'm just upgrading my pc, currently running Exocad Version 5058 , what version of windows 7 (or 8?) do I need 32bit or 64? or doesn't it matter?

Adam

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think you have any choice. ?? Maybe I am wrong?

Windows 7 and Windows 8 are both 64-bit only.

Now, Vista and XP had option of 32 and 64-bit back in the day, but you would never buy either of those in 2014.

I prefer Windows 7 Professional OS.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
You better run with 64 bit more ram especially for the big !!!! cases the ram with 32 bit is sometimes on the limit and crashes but look at the scanner must support it too. I got win 7 64 bit had win 7 32 bit before

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Win7 32bit is limited to 4 Gb of ram only...

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
AND THE WINNER IS.... 64 BIT That's what you should get... RAM is king (sometimes)

Yes WIN 7 and 8 comes in 32 and 64 Bit.... no idea why...so forget 32 bit...

Most high end software will drop 32 Bit support.... its inevitable.... so go with 64 Bit...

....soon enough we with be saying..... 64 0r 128 Bit? I guess....

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I don't think you have any choice. ?? Maybe I am wrong?

Windows 7 and Windows 8 are both 64-bit only.

Now, Vista and XP had option of 32 and 64-bit back in the day, but you would never buy either of those in 2014.

I prefer Windows 7 Professional OS.

Windows 7 is available in 32bit or 64, some versions have both on the install disc and some only have either 32 or 64. I'll double check with Amann Girrbach.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Amman Girrbach specify Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, it will work with Pro but you have to tweak some code first.

Re-installing the software proved to be impossible for me, the nice man at AG had to do it remotely and it wasn't a quick job for him. On balance getting a new PC from AG would have saved quite a bit of messing about.

P

Praos

Reaction score
Hi, i'm just upgrading my pc, currently running Exocad Version 5058 , what version of windows 7 (or 8?) do I need 32bit or 64? or doesn't it matter?

Adam

The 64 bit helps a lot with speed problems especially when you have full mouth jobs since it supports more direct memory and faster communication with your graphic card.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
64 bit all the way. any time you have the option, go big or stay home. 64 bit is the only way to go anymore.

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score

Adam

Yes, it does matter. The faster processor and RAM for the scanner and meshing. The faster processor, RAM and Graphics board for ExoCAD.

My current combination runs fast and smoothly and not too expensive:

Intel 3.5 Ghz, 64bit with 16Gb of RAM. Video card: Nvidia GTX770.

You can easily get by with less RAM. I have additional meshing software that works better with more RAM.

Ken

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
I have just upgraded to Windows 8.1 on my testing machine, so far latest versions of 3Shape, exocad and Sum 3D all working well.
Dental Wings is tending to crash a lot.

Its a i7 laptop with 16 Gig RAM and a 4Gig Nvidia card... now i don't recommend laptops for production machines but its a good tester so far.

J

Jorge

Reaction score
Sure it must be 64 bits and 16GB of RAM al least

Two more questions:

Will scan programs and Exocad benefit from more cores? Other way, is i7-4930k much better than i7-4820k?
If programs are multithreaded they benefit from having more cores but if they are single thread they benefit from faster CPU

What is better for graphic card, more onboard RAM or more CUDAS cores or anything else?

W

wanny-

Reaction score
You should go with 64bit as everything is moving forward to 64 bit. Windows 7 will still run 32bit applications as normal. The program will be put into "Program Files (x86)" if it's a 32bit application. Plus as everyone stated, you can get more RAM utilized by the OS but it doesn't aways mean the software will utilize it but you can run many more applications at once without hangups.

For 3D visualization applications such as 3Shape, it helps to have a good graphics card for movement but when the software crashes, thats more likely their code than your hardware.

I would stay with Windows 7 as it's more familiar to most users than windows 8 if you are use to XP/Vista. I prefer Win7 myself as Win8 always has weird workflows on opening applications.

W

wanny-

Reaction score
Sure it must be 64 bits and 16GB of RAM al least

Two more questions:

Will scan programs and Exocad benefit from more cores? Other way, is i7-4930k much better than i7-4820k?
If programs are multithreaded they benefit from having more cores but if they are single thread they benefit from faster CPU

What is better for graphic card, more onboard RAM or more CUDAS cores or anything else?

Multiple cores are only utilized by an application if it's coded to support multi-threading. I don't know about exocad if it utilizes it for anything unless its during heavy processing activities. SUM3D only recently utilized multiple cores in their application for tool path generation.

W

wanny-

Reaction score
What everyone else is also forgetting to mention is that you should look into getting SSD's too in the computer as that helps with the read/writing of generating STL's, etc. Processor/RAM are faster than hard drives read/write speeds so typically with heavy computation activities, the hard drive is actually the bottleneck as it cannot write fast enough.

J

Jorge

Reaction score
Wanny, SSDs are good for operating system and programs, no for big data.
We need to move old data from scan and design programs from SSD to HDD everyday or once a week, maybe it it worth a try, I do not know if database programs (eg. sqlite for Exocad) would complain about not finding data where it is supposed to be in case we click over old data.

Another option, faster but more risky, is to use a ramdisk, same problem about moving data to HDD (posibly on every logon with a script)

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
We've been including PC's with SSD ... honestly I like the thought of this for the laboratory (for me it's a personal preference). We've teamed up with Puget Systems since they have such a great support team and warranty on their PC's. When your PC is such an important aspect of the business, it just seems worth the money to go the extra mile on quality.

Top Bottom