Upgrading Millbox- 2022 or 2023? Worth getting the Strategy Editor?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Howdy all,

We're updating our rather out-of-date Millbox 2020, hopefully helping to resolve some funky defects in zirconia parts that seem to be due to the milling strategies it's feeding our DWX-51 and -52 mills. We can go with 2022, or 2023 for $1500 more. I know being "as current as possible" is ideal, but I can't find any info on what updates 2023 actually includes. Do you reckon it's worth shelling out the extra money at this point?
Also- I've been frequently frustrated by the relative lack of control over the milling strategies we're getting; Is there much point in getting the Strategy Editor at this point? I'm not clear on how much extra control over machining it actually provides. The millbox 'expert mode' thing you input the code to unlock looks similar to the Strategy editor interface, is that all the Editor gives you access to, or is there additional functionality?

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
My understanding is "expert mode" gives you access to machining functions that were in SUM3D, feed rate, Z cut depth, tool usage etc is in there. Comparing it to bowling, its a "kid bumpers turned off" version. The one most of us have (regular millbox) is the "kid bumpers up" and doesn't allow gutter balls. For the reseller, and most users, its adequate and safe, the reseller won't be on the phone all day diagnosing why the spindle crashed into the stock, or a bur keeps breaking. But if you know how to drive the software, there is definite advantages.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
FWIW my background is in mechanical CNC machining, not dental- I'm used to being able to finely control milling strategies with a lot of granularity. Dental CAM is fairly new to me, and extremely hands-off / opaque in comparison. I don't know this software specifically super well, but I have background in Solidworks CAM and MasterCAM. I think it wouldn't be wasted on me- I think my main concern is that it wouldn't give me the amount of control I'm hoping for. For example, being able to manually fine-tune toolpaths, choose milling strategies for each machining step, play with depth of cut and feed per tooth, etc.
I think I'll just upgrade Millbox for now and see if that knocks down our issues we're having- if I'm still cranky, then I'll look at the Strategy Editor.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if you know industrial cnc language, go ahead and get it. a handful of conversations with your software vendor and you should be able to write and master your own strategies.

Top Bottom