Dental I/O scan workflows

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread because to be honest, I googled it and much didn't come up with specifics. So please, add to it, especially if I detailed something wrong or as new pathways change.

Trios (Trios inbox to Exocad). -
So we wanted to accept Trios scans but we have Exocad. Naturally, the Docs could use dropbox or some form of large file transfer program but humans, including Docs are lazy and want to use the transfer file service (trios inbox communicate) that it comes with. So lab needs to purchase the Trios inbox....here is the actual email from Argen (which we used) to help you decide.
Can you please confirm you would like to go with OPTION 1 or OPTION 2? (Please see below).

Once I have your confirmation I will send you the agreement. Thank you and looking forward to hear from you.
Two options for accepting Trios Files for NON-3shape scanner customer labs.

Option1:
Purchase a in 3Shape Communicate Inbox Stand Alone Trios Inbox Stand Alone Dongle = $1,650 ($750/year to renew)

Allows them to accept TRIOS .3OXZ file into a Trios Inbox and convert and export as a .STL file before design.
This can then be imported into your system (example. Exocad System or Sirona System, Dental Wings etc.) as a .STL for designing
Drawbacks: Lab may lose some data in the conversion process from .3OXZ to .STL (color, margin line sharpness etc.)

Option 2:
Purchase a Dental System Stand Alone Dongle (either Crown and Bridge or Premium)
Allows them to accept TRIOS .3OXZ file into a Trios Inbox and then they will design the TRIOS case within the 3shape Dental Designer Design Software.
Drawbacks - TRIOS file cannot be exported as a .STL file prior to design so the lab must design the TRIOS file in this 3shape Design system, can no longer design in your system as with option 1.
Dental Designer Crown and Bridge = $4,000 ($1250/year to renew)
Dental Designer Premium = $6,000 ($1950/year to renew)

On either the Dental System Crown and Bridge or Dental System Premium you can purchase Add on modules to design other indications and or import .STL scanned files.

We decided on Option 1...then about a week later we received a 3Shape dongle. Then we called Argen back up and they teamviewered and installed 'dental designer software' which you will need to incorporate your trios files into Exocad.

Medit scans to exocad or 3shape -
Lab must create an account with Meditlink...simple and free. Partner up with your Doc and then your off. This meditlink has a built-in in Cad/Cam platform into it, makes it simple to open your 3Shape or Exocad, or transfer the files to printer or mill station. That's all free too and on the cloud. I will say, the Medit i-500 does take .stl's. However as many already know that do scans, .stl's are not in color. The Medit i-500 offers the Docs to scan in .obj or .ply along with .stl. The .obj and .ply are in color for Exocad users. Currently I don't believe 3Shape accepts .obj or .ply files, so no color for you. I'm big on color...well duhhh, pretty easy to see where that margin is when you can see the difference between pink and white. For the lab side, everything from the meditlink is free and open...sign up.

3M TruDef -
You will need to set up an account with 3M connection center. It doesn't cost anything. Recently I received a case and noticed this pathway has changed (it's been awhile since I received my previous scan so this may be old news). However, it use to be where the scan had to be sent to a 'margin marking' approved lab, then sent to 3M's model lab for any models. Now today, it looks like once you get the email your Doc sent you a scan, you can right onto the connection platform and download the .stl's or other files and you're off to the races to do whatever you want with the files (i.e. make crown, print models, etc..).

CareStream -
Haven't received any in awhile and scared to comment to what the current pathway is...please share if someone knows specifics.

Cerec Connect -
Make a cerec connect account and then you can receive the files from their platform. I was under the impression that access to their platform was going to be open and free for labs but as of recently I've heard it was going to cost around 4K to access the platform. I haven't dived completely into this yet because I wasn't ever sold on red cam, blue cam, omnicam was better, but the primescan does look very promising but I won't go after clients with primescan if it's going to cost 4K per year to access...that's ridiculous.

Itero -
Haven't done any in quite awhile...back in the day it use to be the lab called Itero and they had three software/hardware options for labs with differing prices. The software allowed you to get the platform that would accept itero scans...from their depending on what option you have, you could mark the margins, have doctor approve margins and order up the Milled models from Itero. I hated these models from Day 1, ceramists nightmare. As of today, I haven't looked into it and/or the prices or the pathway. So I ask all of you to feel free to add the information here.

Planmeca/Emerald -
I believe these two are one in the same but if not, correct me. I have no idea, never have received a file from either.

This goes along with other I/O scanners out there, if you have detailed information on some, or I'm misinformed, feel free to share the correct information. I see this trend of scans increasing drastically over the next decade (at least here in the states). If you do add information...please use the format I did above...helps others sort out the nonsense. (bold print scanner) - detailed lab information below. If you have snied ass comments about certain platforms or scanners...well guess what?...so do i. I really tried to keep it informational though.

O

omsk

Reaction score
Carestream is free to make an account and to use. I am not sure if Dr has multiple options on what files you receive though.
I receive both .stl's and a .dcm color file. I do not receive a margin file.

Itero has 3 levels for labs. All 3 a different price points (they often have a 50%off promotion).
In all 3, itero processes the data and marks/ditches the scans before you can use them. Most of the time the cases are ready the next day they are taken.
  1. You don't receive .stl files. Itero prints model and ships them to you. You pay for models.
  2. You are able to export stl's from their portal however you cannot modify the margins.You are also able to order models if you want, at a slightly lower price. They charge you $5 for every case export.
  3. Same as 2 except there is no $5 charge for every export. Models are a bit cheaper than 2 as well.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
You should change your topic title for "workflow"
Pathways will be more related to how you scan a mouth for better precision, and yes that a topic of it own. Not every IO Scanner work the same to scan a full arch.
Otherwise great topic.
I will try to add later on, im not totally updated on the workflow but we are compatible with all of them in the office.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Question for you 2oothguy, Does you exocad set up have an import 'Carestream" button on the Load page?
View attachment 32517
No, I just enter the info as normal then download the file from CS connect into the DRs file I have set up on desktop as STL imports with drs individual folders. Then import it as Exo project. Hope that helps

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Carestream system is super easy and straightforward to download stl files. I prefer it over sirona connect. Haven't downloaded 3m files in a while but it was cumbersome and over complicated workflow (sounds like it may have changed) I have read that sirona is partnering with exocad so docs can send primescan files to a new connect case center inbox from Sirona. Good for Exo labs but another punch in the gut ( nothing new here) for those that have purchased cerec lab system for access to cerec docs. Don't know about cost for this new portal.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
You should change your topic title for "workflow"
Pathways will be more related to how you scan a mouth for better precision, and yes that a topic of it own. Not every IO Scanner work the same to scan a full arch.
Otherwise great topic.
I will try to add later on, im not totally updated on the workflow but we are compatible with all of them in the office.
I agree, should of been workflow...I blame it on my other Canadian friends, make me forget my english :p

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
This is an important post. Thanks LabGuy! Should this be "pinned" or put somewhere easy to find? There will be more and more questions about IOS cases.
Yep, and they change so often too, tough to keep up with them all...my intention was to clear up some confusion.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
No, I just enter the info as normal then download the file from CS connect into the DRs file I have set up on desktop as STL imports with drs individual folders. Then import it as Exo project. Hope that helps
Thanks, I was hoping you may have the configuration edits to the xml files to add to DentalDB.

J

J.Tech

Reaction score
Thank you Labguy. This is exactly the info I was looking for. I’ve just come into a lab that has exocad which deals with a dentist using trios. I really didn’t know where to start re: converting files etc. Have you found the drawbacks from option 1 to be overly inhibitive to end results?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Thank you Labguy. This is exactly the info I was looking for. I’ve just come into a lab that has exocad which deals with a dentist using trios. I really didn’t know where to start re: converting files etc. Have you found the drawbacks from option 1 to be overly inhibitive to end results?
Not at all bud...the Trios inbox does allow you to see the scans in color, it's only when imported into exocad that 3Shape uses the encryption on color (insert negative comments here) that you lose the color. If a margin is in question, we will switch over to the Trios inbox and zoom in to take a look for sure. Then go back to exocad and mark accordingly. As for loss of data, i didn't see any, we have done quite a few now with excellent results.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I work with EXo and receive scans from Trios and 3M. The inbox works well, but the crowns and tooth numbers are usually wrong or not assigned. The 3M works but is overcomplicated, IMO. My complaint with trios is when the server goes down, you won't be notified. The onus is on you to check the Web portal and make sure you receive those scans as when the server goes back on, it does not resend the files that were received when it was down. How did i find this out???? Of course it was when the office called looking for the crown we never received scans for, not happy. We now keep track in a notebook, as all this technology is making the pencil companies go out of business or not? The IOS work well when done properly, but that isn't happening. My acct.'s receive a day or half of training and then start sending and of course the issues abound. I receive open bites,bite intrusions, tissue over mg's and many other deficiencies over the last 2 years. My grace was first Dr. to adopt was also an engineer,so went smoothly. As with anything there will be hurdles, good thing i HAVE LONG LEGS. My 2 cents

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I work with EXo and receive scans from Trios and 3M. The inbox works well, but the crowns and tooth numbers are usually wrong or not assigned. The 3M works but is overcomplicated, IMO. My complaint with trios is when the server goes down, you won't be notified. The onus is on you to check the Web portal and make sure you receive those scans as when the server goes back on, it does not resend the files that were received when it was down. How did i find this out???? Of course it was when the office called looking for the crown we never received scans for, not happy. We now keep track in a notebook, as all this technology is making the pencil companies go out of business or not? The IOS work well when done properly, but that isn't happening. My acct.'s receive a day or half of training and then start sending and of course the issues abound. I receive open bites,bite intrusions, tissue over mg's and many other deficiencies over the last 2 years. My grace was first Dr. to adopt was also an engineer,so went smoothly. As with anything there will be hurdles, good thing i HAVE LONG LEGS. My 2 cents
I can't disagree with you, actually agree. I know the Medit emails you everytime a scan is sent to the lab, but your right...trios does not. 3M also gives you an email notification as well. Curious, does carestream give ya notification email?

M

mmbh

Reaction score
I used to receive emails from carestream but then they stopped. Haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet but I ususally login to CS connect and check anyway every day.

J

JustDavid

Reaction score
I can't disagree with you, actually agree. I know the Medit emails you everytime a scan is sent to the lab, but your right...trios does not. 3M also gives you an email notification as well. Curious, does carestream give ya notification email?

Im pretty certain Trios /3Shape Communicate does send an email every time there is a new case.

Might be a case of spam filter, bad on what eine people here write you would receive a huge number of generic emails..

I would not be surprised that it ended up in the filter, especially if you don't actually open the emails and use the link included to open communicate but directly to the website..

Just my 2cents on this topic.