Update: New Abutment Milling Processes Produces Excellent Results

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
they wont let me out of the country.

on account of i dont have a passport and i actually don't want to leave. but my boss is going.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Well dang. Was looking forward to meeting some of the DLN people, but oh well.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you'll meet plenty of DLN people. tons of people will be there.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it even though I'm not working for a lab anymore. I'm looking forward to seeing some new ideas as well.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
who's going to CAL LAB?

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Still in England for the Delcam Sales Partner Meeting checking out what's going on in near term and long term development for their advanced manufacturing and healthcare products (including dental if course). Some really good stuff going on and coming soon. Also sorting out the whole Autodesk acquisition thing and its actually all good!

Got the results of the surface roughness test on our last abutment measured with a white light inferemoter and it came back at less than 1 micron Ra! Amazing, especially for coming right off the machine in less than 30 minutes. Look at the consistency and smoothness of the finish. We're pretty pleased. I created this image with a partial crop of the inferemoter GUI for effect only but the sub micron measurement and abutment images are actual images/values. This device is very cool and at over $100K very expensive.

You'll gotta check this out at LabDay.
image_zps6083cdf3.jpg

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Still in England for the Delcam Sales Partner Meeting checking out what's going on in near term and long term development for their advanced manufacturing and healthcare products (including dental if course). Some really good stuff going on and coming soon. Also sorting out the whole Autodesk acquisition thing and its actually all good!

Got the results of the surface roughness test on our last abutment measured with a white light inferemoter and it came back at less than 1 micron Ra! Amazing, especially for coming right off the machine in less than 30 minutes. Look at the consistency and smoothness of the finish. We're pretty pleased. I created this image with a partial crop of the inferemoter GUI for effect only but the sub micron measurement and abutment images are actual images/values. This device is very cool and at over $100K very expensive.

You'll gotta check this out at LabDay.
image_zps6083cdf3.jpg

You still gonna polish below the margin right, for hygiene? Just curious.

toothwiz

toothwiz

Reaction score
We've been working on getting even better results from the already fantastic, finished abutments on the VersaMILL 5X.

Although not completely fine tuned, I had to share.

Check out the consistency of finish, sharp margin and ultra-fine surface finish of the transgingival region; truly amazing. I will be putting it on a surface roughness tester and expect some pretty impressive numbers.

Machine cycle time is about 28 minutes using (3) TiSn coated tools ($54 each),getting about 70 units on a set of tools. We expect to get that back to the 20 minute time target without sacrificing tool life or surface finish quality.

There are some very slight anomalies in some of the pic's due to our process in test machining but keep in mind these images were taken with a microscope at 150X magnification!

Take a look at the top photo below where you can really get a feel for the quality of our machine/process. Compare the abutment's milled finish on the left side of the image to the NT-Trading Ti blanks ($53 each) turned surface finish on the right...Good stuff that is!

Video to follow...

Image9_zps0935f4e7.jpg

Image6_zpsd722f82d.jpg

Image1_zps025b7d80.jpg

Looking forward to the video.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
You still gonna polish below the margin right, for hygiene? Just curious.

Yes, polish is still required. It is my understanding that .02 micron Ra is the target finish for best bacterial resistance. I am planning some tests to see just how fine a finish we can obtain given less cycle time restraints.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Yes, polish is still required. It is my understanding that .02 micron Ra is the target finish for best bacterial resistance. I am planning some tests to see just how fine a finish we can obtain given less cycle time restraints.

I would come to a finish that I like and then not worry about how fine it is below the margin. You cut your cycle time down. And since you're going to have to polish it anyway; 20 mins and 2 mins for polishing is much better than 30 mins and 2 mins for polishing. 8 more units in an 8 hr day! Mo money mo money!!!

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
I would come to a finish that I like and then not worry about how fine it is below the margin. You cut your cycle time down. And since you're going to have to polish it anyway; 20 mins and 2 mins for polishing is much better than 30 mins and 2 mins for polishing. 8 more units in an 8 hr day! Mo money mo money!!!

As I suspected. Thanks Kent.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
No problem. Just doesn't make sense to run the machine longer to create a fine finish when you're going to polish it anyway. Get the top happy with your zig zags and get an acceptable margin finish that's quick and polish the collar. Winner Winner chicken dinner. Short cycle time with acceptable finish where you just polish the collar is where you're going to cash in! Don't worry about how fine of a finish you can get with your machine, because I promise you this....you're still going to have to polish it! :)

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. Just trying to get the balance. If a couple of minutes of machine time (within production constraints) can save much more than that in manual finishing/polishing time, I'm in...and that's where our customers are driving us. Now we are finishing up on machining the interface directly for those bold at heart...

Last edited:
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. Just trying to get the balance. If a couple of minutes of machine time (within production constraints) can save much more than that in manual finishing/polishing time, I'm in...and that's where our customers are driving us. Now we are finishing up on machining the interface directly for those bold at heart...

Just charge a little more for the finer finish on the bottom of the implant. More machine time costs you money. Longer deviation on cycle times from your standard strategy = an up charge! ;)

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Looking forward to the video.

Here is a little promo video I made of the whole machining process. Its based on an older template but still produces great results for a wide variety of extreme abutment designs (offset, highly divergent, undercuts on margin, sub and supregingival surfaces, small radius' into the collar, steep wide collars, etc. etc.) Its pretty cool since we only need one template; kind of takes all the worry out of being close if ya know what i mean...;)

We made quite a few improvements since the raw video was taken but we did not take any of our latest to share (gotta keep some of our secrets). This one still uses a ball endmill for roughing...yuck! I will say that one of our big customers has told us he's getting better units that he has gotten from anyone, anywhere on just about every combination of machine/control/software out there. Of course I'm not surprised. :rolleyes::)

We will be adopting Delcam's new Vortex high speed machining technology in the roughing phase. We have been testing this for quite a while in both dental, production part and mold making applications and the technology really does outperform others we have used. The machines run like a raped-ape allowing us to take some pretty aggressive cuts at scary speeds all while maintaining tool life. The trick is really in tool engagement angle and RCTF (see if you can look THAT one up) and keeping the heat in the chip and away from the workpiece and tool. Lets us machine metal dry. We even did tests with infrared thermometers checking the temp of the tool and workpiece. I should post some video of that as well, its very cool.

We will be showing a lot of this in Chicago and giving away our Axsys Done That! t-shirts every 20 minutes or so.

Here's the link to the Vortex product:http://www.vortexmachining.com/

....and here's a long and quite possible very boring video (just a tick over 27 minutes of machine time but the video is longer with promo stuff). Take a 5-hour first...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
just got home from 3 days with Axsys

i brought with me some abutments i had previously not used; written off as not millable.

brayks might put up pics of it later (either to humliate me or to edify his fantastic staff)

look forward to next week when i can put together and play with the versamill 5x.

you guys really know your stuff man.

Top Bottom