Uneven margins and what mpa strength zirconia to use?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Once in awhile I get the margins that go from chamfer to thin chamfers or into feathers. Sometimes just in spots, other times a whole
distal interproximal margin becomes a feather. I like using MT Multi ~800-850mpa whenever I can, but in those cases do you all automatically
go to a 1200mpa zirconia just to make sure, for margin strength, to not have that area be the weakest point?

mt.JPG

mt2.JPG

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Once in awhile I get the margins that go from chamfer to thin chamfers or into feathers. Sometimes just in spots, other times a whole
distal interproximal margin becomes a feather. I like using MT Multi ~800-850mpa whenever I can, but in those cases do you all automatically
go to a 1200mpa zirconia just to make sure, for margin strength, to not have that area be the weakest point?

View attachment 37540

View attachment 37541
I have to especially for 2nd molars.
Keep sending those screen shots with big red fricken arrows like laser beams to them.

1609865011905.png

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The visual image would probably work better than my notes I send with the cases...the notes they probably throw out.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The visual image would probably work better than my notes I send with the cases...the notes they probably throw out.
I couldn't tell you how many times I started to discuss a note with a dentist or an office and they were completely clueless that it existed.
That's why I quit doing newsletters. 3 people, total, were reading them. One was in an office.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Pictures always work better for that. It's something that cannot be thought an over-exuberant response to a minor issue by a really technical technician.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

View attachment 37540

View attachment 37541
Hey Car, welcome back! ;-)

Argen offers esthetic Multi layered Zr. in all the shades, above 1000 Mpa. As does Whitepeaks. Whitepeaks has two flavors, one that has the same MPa value all the way though and one that degrades, the more incisal you go, like Ivoclar's Prime and Multi.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I text the scan pic to the dentist and point out the issue, works great with prompt response

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hey Car, welcome back! ;-)

Argen offers esthetic Multi layered Zr. in all the shades, above 1000 Mpa. As does Whitepeaks. Whitepeaks has two flavors, one that has the same MPa value all the way though and one that degrades, the more incisal you go, like Ivoclar's Prime and Multi.

Thanks 😊

Is that now out for disc purchase, or just for Argen in house milling?

Why I like the HT+ Multi is as you say it's ~1200mpa all the way through. You don't have to worry about bridge connectors as with Prime being out of the stronger zone into the weaker zone of the gradient 3y into 5y.

So what you're saying is yes, when the margins are like that, go for the stronger zirconia.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We use ZirCAD LT(1100-1200) MPa and ZirCAD MT(850) MPa. I wouldn't hesitate to use either of those zirconias on the preps you posted. If the occlusion is thin, I opt for the stronger zirconia. I can't think of the last time we had a zirconia crown of either type fracture.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you how many times I started to discuss a note with a dentist or an office and they were completely clueless that it existed.
That's why I quit doing newsletters. 3 people, total, were reading them. One was in an office.

I remember when you posted about doing that. Thanks for the follow up of how that went.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I like to use hi MPa to be certain for all, Obviously with degrees of translucency

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Ht+ mulitlayer 1250 mpa 45% translucency

Thank you rkm, tonight's viewing :)

I just got of the phone with Rob, tech support with Argen. He said they're hoping to have it out by the end of the month, for disc purchase.
What I also like about it, is it will be available in 12mm so you can nest normal molars ideally, rather than Ivoclars smallest 16mm size for their Prime and MT Multi. Saving mill time, bur life and unneeded waste of zirconia.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thank you rkm, tonight's viewing :)

I just got of the phone with Rob, tech support with Argen. He said they're hoping to have it out by the end of the month, for disc purchase.
What I also like about it, is it will be available in 12mm so you can nest normal molars ideally, rather than Ivoclars smallest 16mm size for their Prime and MT Multi. Saving mill time, bur life and unneeded waste of zirconia.
This could be a game changer.

Top Bottom