Trying to avoid hyperocclosion in fixed c&b - Strategies?

O

omsk

Reaction score
It could be that when you're designing, you are not leaving enough space on occlussion.

I usually leave them open by .3mm for regular cases and up to .5mm if doctor wants no occlussion

S

semper:fi

Reaction score
My suspicion was that my protocol:

"articulation - transferring the occlusal protocol (results mostly in a -0,5 at the front pin) - producing the crowns so that 12my articulation paper can be pulled out with mild force "

produces to high crowns. I think your last two answers confirm that. I will start with reducing a little further than the occlusal protocol (around -3/4ish at the front pin) and to use 100my (.1mm) articulation paper. Maybe even go a little further if the results are not good enough.

Thank you all very much!

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
In my mind you’re saying that you are articulating your models and then using your bite registration to grind them into a new occlusion.

S

semper:fi

Reaction score
Hm no, i use the bite registration ony when i have to (= a stable alignment of the models with each other without BR is not possible)

When i dont have to use the BR i articulate the models (aligning them by hand, attaching them with a glue gun),transfer the occlusal protocol via reducing model interference with a lecron or scalpel, trim and cut the BR and set it back into the articuator to control the vertical relation. Most times it fits, sometimes i have to do a little more reduction

O

omsk

Reaction score
Is this for a full mouth reconstruction or it's happening on regular 1 crown cases?

Do you have pictures of the articulated models?

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I personally do not use an arbitrary pin opening to equilibrate the models. The reason to do the equilibration is to correct for the different inaccuracies of impression and modelling materials. I do not use a pin after mounting on cases that have the majority of the dentition in occlusion. After mounting the models, i check the contacts of the models, looking specifically for contacts in the areas that have facets. I also asses the accuracy of the mounting at this point. I then mark the contacts and reduce those contacts until all facets are in solid contact. Then after fabrication of the restoration I reduce the restoration contacts until I have slight drag on shimstock and a solid hold on all facets. My clients ( all but the one who doesn't make provisionals into occlusion) say they use polishing points for the patients who come in with the provisionals intact.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Tr
Hi everybody from Germany,

i'm fairly new in fixed prosthodontics and i'm trying to overcome problems with hyperocclusion in crowns and bridges.

The impressions coming from the dentist are with impregum/permadyne and alginate. Bites are made with stonebite and there is a occlusion protocol.

Sawed models are made with a resin baseplate and both models are made with high quality plaster. The models are set into an articulator with articulating plaster and the occlusion protocol is transferred via reducing the plaster of the model. The front pin (i dont know what's the correct word in english) shows around -0,5 after that.

But theres still a lot of drilling for the dentist to achieve perfect static occlusion, wich takes a lot of time. :(

Can you explain me your strategies to avoid hyperocclusion or maybe any mistakes that I make in my working protocol?

Thank you very much[/

Try solid model and see if your problem goes away. If not then it is not the articulation.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
To the original poster, Full arch impressions always have to be equilibrated. Also, you may find most labs actually make most of their crowns out of occlusion, why you ask?...that blasted pdl (periodontal ligament). What I find best, is to use 80-100 micron articulating paper, that's what we use in our lab. The only marks (as very subtle they are),are on stamp cusps or some folks like to call them working cusps. That way, if it is in occlusion during delivery the Doc is only adjusting those cusps and very minimally. This takes time and a great line of communication with a new Doc in a lab. We actually use these evaluation cards and require any new Docs to fill them out for the first couple months to get them dialed in to where they are making no to absolutely very minor adjusting. With Digital, it's pretty easy on our side to make each Docs parameters the same to get the consistency you want. Keep at it, my advice, keep a log like you did back in organic lab...logging, tracking, detailing deliveries of each patient to you get your own parameters dialed in. Sucks be a lab tech some days doesn't it?...we drink a lot of beer :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
To the original poster, Full arch impressions always have to be equilibrated. Also, you may find most labs actually make most of their crowns out of occlusion, why you ask?...that blasted pdl (periodontal ligament). What I find best, is to use 80-100 micron articulating paper, that's what we use in our lab. The only marks (as very subtle they are),are on stamp cusps or some folks like to call them working cusps. That way, if it is in occlusion during delivery the Doc is only adjusting those cusps and very minimally. This takes time and a great line of communication with a new Doc in a lab. We actually use these evaluation cards and require any new Docs to fill them out for the first couple months to get them dialed in to where they are making no to absolutely very minor adjusting. With Digital, it's pretty easy on our side to make each Docs parameters the same to get the consistency you want. Keep at it, my advice, keep a log like you did back in organic lab...logging, tracking, detailing deliveries of each patient to you get your own parameters dialed in. Sucks be a lab tech some days doesn't it?...we drink a lot of beer :)
ill add to this and say proper occlusal (tripodal occlusion) should NOT be on incline planes. they should be in wear facets or positive occlusal stops.

Top Bottom