Trouble importing a crown design stl into exocad

K

kleypasdds

Reaction score
I use a Planmeca intra oral scanner which has design software for same day crowns. I like to design my crowns in this software because it gives me a zero overhang milled zirconia crown. This allows me to skip the 3D printed die to burnish the overhang that you get with exocad or ceramill mind. The only problem I am having involves the import of the stl into ceramill march 2software. The margin is an absolute pain. I really don’t understand why I have to tell the software where the margin is on a finished design. I’m hoping someone familiar with accepting design stl (like Alien) can shed some light on efficiently importing a designed crown into exocad or match 2 software

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
few things:

1. in exocad if you are importing a design, or indeed a whole case, you should have scene files that will come along with the order and stl or obj files from your previous cad setup.

2. if this isn't import into exocad but import into ceramill milling software, the import should allow for the use of constructioninfo files, which also come from exocad in your case if you've used milling as the manufacturing process.

if neither of these is the concern then i've lost the plot.

is the problem with milling or with design?

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Sounds like the problem is with your CAM software? If you have a .stl 3D design you should be able to pull it into the CAM and calculate it? i am with Luke, more info. needed, what CAM are you using? The overhang you speak of is an offset, you cannot mill margins at the final thickness as with out new tools often you'll get chipping of the margin areas. My 2 cents.

K

kleypasdds

Reaction score
I have a couple of pics that would get my point across better, but I can't figure out how to upload them. To summarize, I'm not sure why I have to mark the margin in exocad on a crown stl that I designed in Planmeca plan cad easy. This step is taking me 10+ minutes to do. I'm unsure of how necessary it is to have this margin perfect when it has already been perfected on my intra oral scan software.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of pics that would get my point across better, but I can't figure out how to upload them. To summarize, I'm not sure why I have to mark the margin in exocad on a crown stl that I designed in Planmeca plan cad easy. This step is taking me 10+ minutes to do. I'm unsure of how necessary it is to have this margin perfect when it has already been perfected on my intra oral scan software.
To upload pictures you'll need to put them online somewhere else and then link here. For the first few posts there are limits to a new user.
After about 5 posts you can start private conversations with other members and can upload images directly.

Keeps us from cleaning up behind people selling vegan water and manual transmission horses.

And Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
marking a margin in exocad takes 3 seconds, tops. whats taking 10 minutes?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Why are you marking the margins at all? Just import the crown into the CAM software and mill it?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Yeah, some confootion is happening.

A

A. M.

Reaction score
You can mark your margins in Match2 without any problem... bring the case in to nest, "select the type of designed reconstruction", and then it will allow you to mark the margins...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
You can mark your margins in Match2 without any problem... bring the case in to nest, "select the type of designed reconstruction", and then it will allow you to mark the margins...
do you know of any way to import a saved margin file?

Z

ztech

Reaction score
For those not familiar with the ceramill match software, when you import, it requires you to select axis, margin, and insertion direction. You can, however, drag and drop into an stl file into a puck and it should accept it and calculate mill path.

A

A. M.

Reaction score
do you know of any way to import a saved margin file?

You can do it without the margin file as well... but if the margin file is in the same location as the stl it should import it with it.
I had cases without margins and no problem... you set the view, pick the type of case you have (crown, coping, implant, etc...),and pick the margin, if you don't have the file... pick 4 points (usually it's good),if not you can correct... next, next... done :)

K

kleypasdds

Reaction score

[Modedit to make image show]

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kleypasdds

Reaction score
Hopefully that link will work. The points are extremely sensitive to mouse movement. Takes awhile to get them lined up exactly on the edge of the margin. Is this necessary in order to mill the restoration to a perfect fit?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i'm still not quite getting it, you're importing a finished design into exocad ... but why?

A

A. M.

Reaction score
When you click detect, and it messed up the margin like on the picture, you switch to CORRECT/DRAW and move those dots... you can even delete some... I never even get that many...
3.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 6
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
When you click detect, and it messed up the margin like on the picture, you switch to CORRECT/DRAW and move those dots... you can even delete some... I never even get that many...
View attachment 36815
Tired to click on close on the windows in your picture. Sheesh.

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
@kleypasdds If you want thinner margins for your Exocad software, you can always lower the horizontal and angled margin thickness. You can set default material parameters to whatever you like.

If you're designing in Planmeca, the final designs are simply STL files. This format is not capable of storing margin information. It's a simple format to allow for open system use.

The reason why ExoCAM is having a hard time recognizing the margin, is because there isn't a "margin" there, it's just a thin STL file. You could import a micky mouse STL file and mill that if you wanted to, but marking a margin would be just as obscure, and of course undercuts would be a nightmare.

If you want to make your workflow simple, I would suggest using Exocad and thin down the horizontal margin until you get a balance between thin margin, and no chips when you mill.

*** Edit : That doesn't look much like the Ceramill CAM / ExoCAM software. Are you sure you're not using Planmeca's chairside nesting software?

- Josh

Last edited:
Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I had the same thought, looks like someone wants chairside crowns with laboratory perfection. CEREC are 100k for a reason they take the thinking out of it for u. Planmeca saved the software expense and there you go. As stated before, you should be able to drop a stl into CAM and mill, I have milled plenty of non dental parts using that method. my 2 cents

Top Bottom