Trios scanner and marking margins

L

labguy5381

Reaction score
Hi to all!

A 3-Shape trainer is telling one of our clients with a new Trios scanner that "no doctors are marking the margins and no labs are requiring the clinician to mark the margins". As an informal poll, What is your experience as lab owners whether to require the doctor to mark the margins, encourage them to mark the margins, or neither?

thanks for your help,

Jim

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
I encourage them not to mark the margin. If it needed adjustment, at least earlier versions of 3Shape made it tricky to ignore the doctor marked line and follow your own. I've yet to see a marked margin that was entirely where it needed to be coming from the dr.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I would have the Dr mark the margins so they can confirm while pt is there. Why should we take more responsibility if it’s something they can do simply? If it’s wrong they are liable.
If the Dr cuts the margin, and has it physically in front of them, why would a tech know better how to mark it?

doug

doug

Reaction score
WE can look at the scan and tell if the margin is visible. If there's any question I take a screen shot and send it to the doc for review.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
they should mark the margin
you should adjust it if needed with notification to the dr.

hold them responsible for their preps and impressions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I know it said "Trios"...but some of us discussed this with the Medit engineers (Medit i-500 I/O scanner) recently. Come February 18th, with i-500, the Docs can mark their own margins because they just prepped the tooth, they will know better than us (supposedly). However, we as the lab can edit the margin after they send it using exocad as well. Just thought I'd throw that out there...now back to Trios. :)

L

labguy5381

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. All are valid comments. It seems reasonable for the clinician to at least inspect the scan closely while the patient is in the chair so that any problem areas can be rescanned. If they were to do that, I can mark that margin, and everyone from the lab to the patient is happy. Unfortunately, I have a client who thinks the scanner that he just purchased will solve all of his problems, without him engaging in the process. So frustrating for him to have this great technology and almost dooming it to failure because he doesn't want to be bothered with doing it right from the beginning. Thanks for the help and listening to my "vent".

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
It's maddening. Here you have a tool that you can see on a screen and manipulate and magnify in a way never possible.

And yet you receive scans where there is no definite margin. Not enough reduction. The problem is that the scan is usually not reviewed while the patient is in the chair. And usually the Doc isn't the one scanning. It's the perfect storm for the technology not to work.

I hear your frustrations, going digital doesn't magically solve your problems. It creates new challenges. And it can be rewarding if you take the time to solve them.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I believe sirmorty is more correct than most would think. I had a 4 Doc practice purchase the trios, first scans from Dr. bites were all jacked up etc. along with no retraction etc. I called and sent screen shots to Dr.....Dr calls and says can u make them wk as she is leaving for Europe in a week and can't be bothered to redo....I go to office and get support on phone with assistant. Assistant informs me that the dr's were in and out of the training when Reps. were there!OMG
Spend 25K and don't sit thru the training, then have the nerve to ask me to print models as you don't like adj'ng... mind u I already had settings with another Dr. after 2 models then model-less going forward. Then again in addition to his doctrate in dental he's also an engineer? Just saying
I mark all margins if they are bad I send screen shot. If they say proceed, free remake is off the table. My 2 cents

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Dr mark margins. Make adjustments if necessary with docs permission.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Labs make the mistake of thinking that the dentist is receiving adequate training by a sales rep.
They are not.
Get off your ass and stand chairside rather than bitching and moaning behind your monitor.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Labs make the mistake of thinking that the dentist is receiving adequate training by a sales rep.
They are not.
Get off your ass and stand chairside rather than bitching and moaning behind your monitor.
It needs to be said that present scanning technology still Requires Tissue Mannagement, if you can't see it, neither will the camera. Not every case is a candidate for IOS. Just my 2 cents...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
or you have Drs that use lasers to make the technology work for them... Thats why its called 'free' tissue right?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It needs to be said that present scanning technology still Requires Tissue Mannagement, if you can't see it, neither will the camera. Not every case is a candidate for IOS. Just my 2 cents...
You should raise your prices to reflect your great point.
In fact that is one of the topics that we can communicate with the IOS advantage.

One thing I have learned from my "lab in a box" is that everyone I meet wants to lean how to do this.
That is the best time for q&a.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You should raise your prices to reflect your great point.
In fact that is one of the topics that we can communicate with the IOS advantage.

One thing I have learned from my "lab in a box" is that everyone I meet wants to lean how to do this.
That is the best time for q&a.
im still trying to learn how to do it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
you maybe
I send files.:cool:

Top Bottom