Trios Digital Diagnostic

Sarah Downs

Sarah Downs

Reaction score
Alright, back at it again...

So we received a case via Trios to do a digital diagnostic waxup, but we're running into a problem and I'm not sure how to address it. We designed the diagnostic using "temporary pontic on prepared model," finished it all up, copy and appended the design for reuse... but now the unaltered preparation model is showing through our design. I'm not sure how to rectify this because I don't know of a way to get an stl and trim down the preparation arch (again) in a different software, say Meshmixer... but I'm not sure how to get it to append a model with the altered preparation arch, either. The fact that this is a digital model instead of a scan is kinda tying my hands. Has anyone ran into this issue before and know a solution?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
questions:

where do you see the original poking through, is it the little preview window when you just click the case and the case shows its stuff in the bottom of the screen? if so this window is bugged, don't always trust it. if not, explore your new order (the one with the "appended" waxup and view the scans one by one and verify that the appending happened correctly.

if there is still the possibility of using the original unaltered scan from the original order, then first order of business is to copy that and work from the copy so you arent risking it.

design it with 0 spacer instead of fully spaced, because 3shape doesnt like appending things that have spacer between them. it only works in C+B because the spacer is not a virtual item, it is actually connecting the two files. with Temporaries thats virtual space, so its pontics floating in space.

design Temporary Crown on Unsectioned model should let you "prepare" the model by granting you the sculpt toolkit at the beginning, for sculpting the teeth down to adequate prepping. designing on a Pontic will just snip that data away.

either way, go fishing for that original untouched scan and see if you can copy and salvage the case, if not, the trios will have to copy the case and send it again.

Sarah Downs

Sarah Downs

Reaction score
Ok, so this kinda worked. I tried what you said and it was still overlapping with the unaltered preparation scan, even after changing the spacer to 0, using temp on prepared model and altering the unsectioned model itself... still had the original model poking through.

But! To get it to work, I literally explored the order, deleted a file called "Raw PreparationScan," leaving only the "PreparationScan" in the folder (because it was the one that had been altered),and then copy and appended the design.

So... new trick learned I guess. If it's not appending the design to the altered model, just delete "Raw PreparationScan" in the scans folder of the original order (with a backup somewhere, of course) ;)

Thanks for your help!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like youre making your way through the 3shape jungle..