Training with Lee Culp...

Sarah Downs

Sarah Downs

Reaction score
So, I'm being sent to North Carolina in a few weeks to train with Lee Culp and his digital right hand (his name is Matt, I actually had a long talk with him on the phone before I was hired here and he basically vetted my capacity to work with software and handle computer issues in general, if not necessarily with 3Shape yet. he's a really nice guy) for a whole week.

I have a long list of things I'd like to discuss while I'm there. But I thought I'd ask: anyone have any suggestions on what I should ask? OR, questions they might like answered? I can't promise I'll get to everything, but it will help me be prepared with what kinds of things I can ask. And I'll be reporting back!

Bear in mind that my actual job isn't really dental or design-oriented. I'm mostly there to learn how to do real tricky behind the scene things with 3Shape, pick up some tips on their digital work flow, pick their brains about how they handle the scanning of complicated full mouth cases and implants... etc.

Anyway, let me know! I'll be hanging with the masters in mid-May. :cool:

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
That's an awesome opportuity. Make the most of it. Take extra SD cards for your phone. Record everything you can by photo, video, audio and hand written notes.

And silly as it may sound, make notes to yourself of what you want to learn/ask. Keep a pocket notbook or even a 3ring binder with you. You'll be surprised at how many things you'll see flow towards the same base questons and can ask more effective wuestions because of that.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ask him why hes always giving me this disappointed look? NM I get it now.
culp.jpg

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
How did you secure a gig like that? I thought I heard, maybe here, that he charges $5000.00. I would guess that was for just a day, I could be wrong though.

Sarah Downs

Sarah Downs

Reaction score
How did you secure a gig like that? I thought I heard, maybe here, that he charges $5000.00. I would guess that was for just a day, I could be wrong though.

That's something my boss might know, but not me. Laugh All I know is that the two of them talk pretty often and this was basically arranged to happen before I even started working here. I get 3 and a half whole days there, though!

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
That's something my boss might know, but not me. Laugh All I know is that the two of them talk pretty often and this was basically arranged to happen before I even started working here. I get 3 and a half whole days there, though!

Good for you. You will learn a lot.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im gonna throw down here...just a little bit.

What does Lee, or Peter or any other tooth guy with some celeb status know that we don't?

Honest question.

I know teeth. Lots of guys on here do. Theres the computer stuff that's tough for me and no doubt others, but teeth I got down. Im not impressed by celebrity. I don't believe they have any special tricks or knowledge that we don't. No?

I know theres lot of other things that go towards 'being known' and getting in the magazines. Dress sharp. Be the first to stick out your hand; dont shake more than 3 seconds. Eye contact. Vocabulary? I got words you haven't even heard yet.

Social skills. Pfft

Last edited:
rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Im gonna throw down here...just a little bit.

What does Lee, or Peter or any other tooth guy with some celeb status know that we don't?

Honest question.

Well, they might not know anymore than some of us out there. I am guessing they know more than a lot of us. I am just judging that by the following each of them seem to have generated. It is nice to see what some that are on the supposed leading edge are doing. It gives us something to ponder where the industry is possibly heading and what we might want to do with our own labs. Good, bad or indifferent they also know how to get paid to share what they know.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
they may have good techniques with materials to share, such as how to properly use Mayo MiYo and other micro layer kits like dentaurum's one and LiSi.

they may have been sponsored to speak about the product too.

and when you are a spokesperson for one brand, and you get lots of recognition, other brands want you to switch, creating huge industry uproar and even more people gaining industry credentials for either creating these kinds of products or for marketing in a way that shifted dynamics.

when you are a spokesperson its about what you know.

when you are coming up in the world don't trust nobody its about who you know.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
or any other tooth guy with some celeb status know that we don't
Well, see here:
celeb status

Do you think it is easy to achieve that! o_O

There are many talented and skilled techs out there, I love to watch and hear from. But the above mentioned is not on that list.

But, I have to add, even if I don't necessarily agree with a person, I still listen to them. It also depends where you are coming from! I am sure OP (Sarah Downs) will learn a ton and take home a great experience.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
User,The difference is marketing and branding yourself, calling what you do everyday a 'workflow', getting some glamour shots, having a scowl that can cut porcelain, and no doubt, thinking very highly of yourself.

I applaud people that want teach others, I give them a kind word or thumbs up on their free youtube video.