Tool Problem help on wet mill...

M

Michael l Henschell

Reaction score
Has anyone had or having a problem with tools not releasing into the tool pocket. We have a Versamill 5xs and we love it. We have had only one big issue and after like a month the tools would not release into their tool pocket causing the machine to error. So unless you are watching it you are forced to edit NC program. We do all needed maintenance and then some. Nothing seems to work. Anyone have any tips?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had or having a problem with tools not releasing into the tool pocket. We have a Versamill 5xs and we love it. We have had only one big issue and after like a month the tools would not release into their tool pocket causing the machine to error. So unless you are watching it you are forced to edit NC program. We do all needed maintenance and then some. Nothing seems to work. Anyone have any tips?
Magnetism issues?
Fluid changing intervals proper?
Are the burrs all from the same supplier? Who?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
I am no Versamiller looks like theirs a small plastic ring in the tool changer to hold the tools and give them friction while the collet opens to hold the tool at his place. If there is not enough friction either or the collet opens not well ( dirty , air pressure near minimum) the tool is still in the collet than the mill makes a length control but expected only the collet without burr ( less Z) than you get an error
does this happen only with the same burr versus tool position the problems is maybe the ring or each tool position it looks like a collet problem

A

AKDental

Reaction score
hi I don't know how your machine works or even looks like but i have a roland dwx-4 and i was having the same issues( i think) where the collet would not release the toool into the tool holder after it was done working with it. Not always but every once in awhile it would do that and i think the collet had gotten bent somehow because i ended up changing out the collet and no more problems...always lets go every time. before when i would do the automatic correction maintenance and when i would mill it would happen every so often but often enough to become a "problem" for me because i would always have to watch every single mill because i would never know when it would happen and then i would have to start the whole mill over. pain in the butt. anyways i know that these replacement parts whatever they might be are very expensive so maybe you should ask the manufacturer what they think first! thats what i ended up doing. i was calling my distributor who i bought the machine from and they were having me do all kinds of different troubleshooting which was costing me time and money. and so i called roland directly which you shouldn't do for every problem you have but anyways they were able to help me out right away with diagnosing the problem(being the collet). hope this helps.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Is it on the Emax tools?

I ask because they seem to rust especially if they are sitting in the tool holder while you are Milling Zirconia and getting wet constantly.

Never had problems with the Zirconia tools but have with the Emax ones

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my Wieland Zenotec mini when I first had it . It turned out to be insufficient air pressure , once I increased the pressure never had that problem again. Only a few machines work the collet release with air ( included this to help others who read the thread ,I'm guessing the Versamill has a better system)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my Wieland Zenotec mini when I first had it . It turned out to be insufficient air pressure , once I increased the pressure never had that problem again. Only a few machines work the collet release with air ( included this to help others who read the thread ,I'm guessing the Versamill has a better system)
the versamill collet release is air but the collet closes mechanically.

debris inside the collet (sepcially from ti milling) can prevent opening. but so can a lot of things.

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
Had the same issue with IMES. The machine starts and stops the flow of fluid above the tool storage area. The lubricant in the cooling fluid turns into a sticky gummy film after about a week causing a small build up on the shaft of the tools. Tool gets stuck in the collet. We cleaned the shanks of all the burs with a wire brush weekly.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Could be that the spindle is not correctly calibrated to the tool holder. Could be placing the tool into the holder but if the calibration is slightly off, could be applying pressure to the sides of the holder, therefore not releasing tool properly.

L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
Its the air pressure. I have this exact mill and had the same problem. I replaced the collet thinking it was bent but still had issues. After increasing the air pressure on the back of the mill it never happend again.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
How many bar are you running now? As I mentioned I have had it happen with the Emax tools.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
We are on it and working with the spindle manufacturer to determine the exact cause and best remedy to this issue that seems could be related to a new design. As Lifelike mentioned, in the interim try increasing the air pressure to at least 5 bar. Of course there could be other factors in play here - including some previously mentioned. It is possible that this has already been sorted with you and our support team however I will have them contact you to make sure.

S

Sats

Reaction score
I am also having a similar problem with My VHF S1. It happens now and again. And have to start from. Zero..this is a pain. Still trying to search for a solution.
Pressure is good. Put a new collet. Still having problems. Still in search.

Top Bottom