Tired

W

William matwijec

Reaction score
Well I appreciate the comments. I am going fishing tomorrow and do enjoy my life. I am starting to train someone. I really would not mind working in a less busy place. Due to unseen life happenings we still have a mortgage but hope to retire sooner than later. I would really enjoy training people or working for a dentist that cares about the work being done. It seems that the older generation dentists understood dentures better and cared more. I know that this is just a generalization and that there are good,caring dentists. Also I hope I don’t sound too negative because I really have a good life and a great family. I really am blessed

DentalArt

DentalArt

Reaction score
Hi I am 63 years old and have been a technician since 1978. I work alone in a clinic and we start around 10 units a day. I do some private work too but gave up trying to get my own work. Seems like all most dentists are interested in is low prices. I’m tired and just trying to get through until I can retire. Probably in 5 years. I do get paid well and treated very well. Feel burnt out. Any advice. Mostly just complaining and looking to see if others feel the same. Also would switching to digital make my workflow easier.?
Thanks for sharing this! I respect you for that and I also get where you're coming from. We all get to this point sooner or later. It gets to us all one way or another.

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
I've found relief in prioritizing the thing I love to do before going to work each day.
Work is work- find happiness before work and your days will be more enjoyable.

(trying to find that happiness after work allows for work to screw up your plans)

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Burn out is real and it happens in all professions.

I'm at a point where I feel stuck.
I can't seem to grow with any sort of consistency. It's feast or famine. I went out on my own 6 years ago after working for a lab for 15+ years.

It's all about finding the right clients but I'm getting tired of the grind and being a middle man.

I can't afford to have the latest tech every couple years but what I do have is fine. Sure there are faster scanners and Milling machines and 3d Printers but I don't t have the volume to justify buying it. And most of it it just salesman speak.

I want to get out of being on the bench and maybe into more of a support role but there aren't any opportunities where I live and I don't plan on moving.

I have been contemplating just leaving the profession entirely but I'm reluctant because I have so much experience and it's scary starting something new.

I don't have any advice for you because you have been at it way longer than I have.

Hope you can find something that works for you. I know it's all your mindset but it can feel like your telling yourself lies sometimes.. those are the hardest days.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks. Kind of just venting. My typical day is pour 10 sets of models, process units, finish 6 to ten, and set up maybe 16 units. I pour process everything, which I hate but only way to do so fast. I get to see my finished product and deal with the patients which is both rewarding and frustrating. Since the pandemic the clinics work has exploded. I also get paid extremely well and get a months vacation. Really need to just need to separate my work from home. Really just needed to hear from other techs. Thanks
Can I ask. What is the nature of the workflow? All dentures? Relines? Repairs? What is the quality expectation?

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Hire a someone to do your model work, and preliminary tasks.

P

Philophil5

Reaction score
Well I appreciate the comments. I am going fishing tomorrow and do enjoy my life. I am starting to train someone. I really would not mind working in a less busy place. Due to unseen life happenings we still have a mortgage but hope to retire sooner than later. I would really enjoy training people or working for a dentist that cares about the work being done. It seems that the older generation dentists understood dentures better and cared more. I know that this is just a generalization and that there are good,caring dentists. Also I hope I don’t sound too negative because I really have a good life and a great family. I really am blessed
You are right. Younger dentists do not get the training in Removables that they used to - 10 years running RPD lab at University.
Curriculum has expanded with esthetics and implants - something had to go. Denturists here in Canada have largely overtaken this responsibility.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
You are right. Younger dentists do not get the training in Removables that they used to - 10 years running RPD lab at University.
Curriculum has expanded with esthetics and implants - something had to go. Denturists here in Canada have largely overtaken this responsibility.
It would be amazing if denturism came to Florida Id have the perfect set up

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Thanks. Kind of just venting. My typical day is pour 10 sets of models, process units, finish 6 to ten, and set up maybe 16 units. I pour process everything, which I hate but only way to do so fast. I get to see my finished product and deal with the patients which is both rewarding and frustrating. Since the pandemic the clinics work has exploded. I also get paid extremely well and get a months vacation. Really need to just need to separate my work from home. Really just needed to hear from other techs. Thanks
SUPERDENTUREMAN! HOLY CHIT! You better make at least a hunnerd grand a year.....

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Right??? And I thought I could tow the line pretty well..... I can't do HALF that in ONE day....
It always ends up being apples compared to oranges when the details settle. Even at my best I could only do half that work load.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Screenshot_20220815-231344_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
L

Lamber Tran

Reaction score
Hi I am 63 years old and have been a technician since 1978. I work alone in a clinic and we start around 10 units a day. I do some private work too but gave up trying to get my own work. Seems like all most dentists are interested in is low prices. I’m tired and just trying to get through until I can retire. Probably in 5 years. I do get paid well and treated very well. Feel burnt out. Any advice. Mostly just complaining and looking to see if others feel the same. Also would switching to digital make my workflow easier.?
no job is easy, even the dentists

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
no job is easy, even the dentists
I used to think that the dentists had a tough job, then I realized they just cut the teeth down, they dont build an entire occlusion back, they dont rebuild an entire smile, they dont have to match the subtleties of a single central perfectly, they dont have to work for the patients approval.. The hardest part of their job is finding a good lab to abuse in their 3 day work week. Boo hoo.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
It is difficult to be a dentist. Not an easy job, and one I wouldn't want.
The paradigm that they are somehow your boss or leader is where there is an error.

They need us and we need them. Two separate businesses working together for a common good. When that relationship starts leaning to one side, that's where trouble starts.

If you find yourself with one of those clients that think they own you, try to cultivate that relationship a little better, or chop it off at the root. Invite them to try another lab. If you're doing the right thing they'll be back. And if they find happiness elsewhere, then you need to work on it.

Just don't lick boots and kiss ass. It makes you look bad and it makes the profession look bad.