Tired

W

William matwijec

Reaction score
Hi I am 63 years old and have been a technician since 1978. I work alone in a clinic and we start around 10 units a day. I do some private work too but gave up trying to get my own work. Seems like all most dentists are interested in is low prices. I’m tired and just trying to get through until I can retire. Probably in 5 years. I do get paid well and treated very well. Feel burnt out. Any advice. Mostly just complaining and looking to see if others feel the same. Also would switching to digital make my workflow easier.?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
It depends, if you switch everything to digital and outsource it’ll probably make your life easier. If you are only outsourcing part of it you may find yourself trying to juggle all the different workflows. I get IO scans for some cases, scan models for others and do some stuff analog and it can be a challenge.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Hi I am 63 years old and have been a technician since 1978. I work alone in a clinic and we start around 10 units a day. I do some private work too but gave up trying to get my own work. Seems like all most dentists are interested in is low prices. I’m tired and just trying to get through until I can retire. Probably in 5 years. I do get paid well and treated very well. Feel burnt out. Any advice. Mostly just complaining and looking to see if others feel the same. Also would switching to digital make my workflow easier.?
I have been doing it for 10 years, some days/weeks you just don't feel like doing all the job requires. I imagine you are fixed? You do 10 units a day, model work, wax, cast/press?, and finish? That is pretty incredible. Even staggered over 2 weeks that is quite a lot for one person. I do traditional dentures, receive IO scans, design and finish crowns. I am busier than a fly in a cattle holding pen. Somedays I am super productive some days I am not. This job is taxing it takes it from your soul.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Posted in removable.
Your just feeling your experience.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Posted in removable.
Your just feeling your experience.
Bro, Vacation is tomorrow I am dying. 😪

Also 10 dentures a day start to finish, is damn fast. I thought I was fast able to do a Upper/Lower start to finish in a day. Dude blows me out of the water.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
It depends, if you switch everything to digital and outsource it’ll probably make your life easier. If you are only outsourcing part of it you may find yourself trying to juggle all the different workflows. I get IO scans for some cases, scan models for others and do some stuff analog and it can be a challenge.
What are you doing on here?!?!? You're supposed to be fishing!!!

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm the same age as you, I get where you're coming from. I plan on retiring in 4-5 years as well. Take a vacation, it'll help. So will going digital.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I've been burned out on the people side of dentistry for about 5 years now. I think most artistic types aren't exactly people persons although you have to be to have a lab or deal with the different characters that make up dentistry. I go back and forth, when I get sick of it I go do something else, then go back when I want. You only have one life, seize the day ! :)

W

William matwijec

Reaction score
Thanks. Kind of just venting. My typical day is pour 10 sets of models, process units, finish 6 to ten, and set up maybe 16 units. I pour process everything, which I hate but only way to do so fast. I get to see my finished product and deal with the patients which is both rewarding and frustrating. Since the pandemic the clinics work has exploded. I also get paid extremely well and get a months vacation. Really need to just need to separate my work from home. Really just needed to hear from other techs. Thanks

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
Doing that much, you should be tired! I'm also in house denture tech but I pressure pack. I'm set up to produce 5 units a day, either setups or places and I thought I was busy! Those are on top of relines, repairs, adjustments, etc. Does this mean I have to quit bitching? BTW i'm 65.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
63 and I need a vacation too, as I'm sick and tired of waking up sick and tired 😊

Last edited:
Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
There's a commonality to this thread.....we're all getting old!!!!
It's a good thing that digital dentures are getting better because it won't be long and there won't be any denture techs left who know how to set up and finish a denture!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
The daily grind gets to all of us...doesn't matter what job you have really. Although, if I was in your situation i'd definitely make a case to hire someone...at least to do the processing/finishing/polishing to help you out. You do enough to make a case for another person. That should should give you a breather and make it a little more enjoyable once you get that person trained up to your standards. Hang in there, makes that cold one that much smoother.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
It sounds like you are in a position where you may want to hire someone good at digital things with good attention to detail and a good eye to train on your process and help take things digital. Going digital could certainly help but trying to keep up that much work solo while learning the digital process could be tough

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Ive got ~30 more years.... on my sentence.
You're just a baby! Get out and enjoy your life, don't be tied to the bench every waking hour!

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I'd say just retire and enjoy life while you can.... I used to run a small 8 person C&B lab pulling very long hours, even I had close to 8 wks vacation I felt getting burned out. Closed it down last April and moved to my favorite holiday destination, took a year off to try to figure out this retirement thing. I got bored, getting drunk daily at the beach gets old real quick, specially for someone programmed for a fast paced lifestyle. Nowadays I barely work, (4-5 hours a day, max) only in a support role for my dental practice... making my own schedule, if I don't feel like finishing a case, patient comes in another time.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I hear ya. I got my first lab job Jan of "78". Turning 65 this year. I don't actually mind doing the work. But as a one man lab I'm pretty sick of all the other crap that goes with it. Going to retire in a couple years and go work part time somewhere. I have no kids close by and no grand kids to play with and my wife certainly doesn't want me under her feet all day.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
43 here. That’s an impressive work load.