Tips and Tricks for your lab

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score
Just thought of a tip for anyone doing CAD work... this thing is insanely good.

https://3dconnexion.com/us/product/spacemouse-compact/

It's about $150 and I feel so hamstrung without it it's hilarious. I sometimes try and just use the mouse just to remember what life was like before it. It can take some getting used to (start with the sensitivity set low). The idea is you can lift/twist/push/pull/raise/lower/tilt this thing and it will rotate what you're working on in the same way. So I use this thing in my left hand with the normal mouse in my right. So instead of using my mouse to rotate and position/zoom the job I'm working on, I do that 100% with the 3d mouse and use tools on my mouse (drawing margins, raise/lower and whatever else, clicking on buttons).

I'd estimate it makes me at least 25% faster because I can manipulate what's on my screen in so many ways at once while still using my mouse to do other stuff. It's now second nature. My favorite thing to do with it is rotating a die while I'm drawing the margin, or tilting my POV along an arch slowly to check the contour of the crown I'm designing while using a smooth tool on the high spots.

I use it in Sirona software and Meshmixer so I don't know what else it's compatible with, but I can't overstate how much I love it.

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score
Hot pockets. Put on foil. Ramp 3c / sec

for that extra odd flavor, set on a RPD frame burnout.
New idea. Defrost hot pocket. Remove one end and unstuff it. Place pocket in ring cradle of broken arm casting machine. Pre-heat crucible and hot pocket stuffing in burnout oven. When hot but not burn-your -mouth-hot then you season with Flux and "cast" to re-stuff the pocket.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

It's about $150 and I feel so hamstrung without it it's hilarious. I sometimes try and just use the mouse just to remember what life was like before it. It can take some getting used to (start with the sensitivity set low). The idea is you can lift/twist/push/pull/raise/lower/tilt this thing and it will rotate what you're working on in the same way. So I use this thing in my left hand with the normal mouse in my right. So instead of using my mouse to rotate and position/zoom the job I'm working on, I do that 100% with the 3d mouse and use tools on my mouse (drawing margins, raise/lower and whatever else, clicking on buttons).

I'd estimate it makes me at least 25% faster because I can manipulate what's on my screen in so many ways at once while still using my mouse to do other stuff. It's now second nature. My favorite thing to do with it is rotating a die while I'm drawing the margin, or tilting my POV along an arch slowly to check the contour of the crown I'm designing while using a smooth tool on the high spots.

I use it in Sirona software and Meshmixer so I don't know what else it's compatible with, but I can't overstate how much I love it.

A lot of us agree with the 3d...can I get a harrumph, harrumph?!

i-didnt-get-a-harrumph-out-of-that-guy.jpg

D

Dwayne

Reaction score

I use this in Exocad and it's absolutely indispensable. Can't be overstated how nice it is to work with.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score

Have been using the Logitech MX pro for years but this looks amazing.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score

I dont know how anyone designs without one of these bad boys

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The thread that keeps on giving.

Don't forget to grab some outdoor safe stomp-on three prong switched extension cords this winter.

Got a dozen amps of stuff you dont want to bend over to turn on? I sure have a few.

Turn your whole bench on easy.
Run a small compressor.
Get extra lazy and have a relay wired to engage and turn on anything you want.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The thread that keeps on giving.

Don't forget to grab some outdoor safe stomp-on three prong switched extension cords this winter.

Got a dozen amps of stuff you dont want to bend over to turn on? I sure have a few.

Turn your whole bench on easy.
Run a small compressor.
Get extra lazy and have a relay wired to engage and turn on anything you want.
Wouldn’t it be easier to get an Alexa, name your benches and connect them to smart outlets?

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be easier to get an Alexa, name your benches and connect them to smart outlets?
And deny myself the fighter-jet-startup-sequence experience?! I got like 100 switches to flip in the morning when I open the place I'm not letting some pro-vaccine robot steal my job! I also control the google to find out which actor played what role or who sung which song first if we put an alexa in my coworkers will ask it and not me!

Maybe if it was hooked up to a clapper or iris-scanner it would be acceptable.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I’m going to get an Alexa and name my equipment after DLN members.
My Buffalo vibrator will be Riley, my sintering furnace will be Disturbed and I’m going to call my EP500 Doug.

Actually I don’t have a sintering furnace but if I did, that’s what I’d name it.

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score
I’m going to get an Alexa and name my equipment after DLN members.
My Buffalo vibrator will be Riley, my sintering furnace will be Disturbed and I’m going to call my EP500 Doug.

Actually I don’t have a sintering furnace but if I did, that’s what I’d name it.
I was thinking it'd be funny to have like a roomba or some robot vac rolling around, and hook up one of those little computers on top of it (rasperby pi or whatever) with a motion sensor and have it yell at people that got in its way.

"I'M ROLLIN' HERE!"

You could get those people to record voice lines for all your equipment.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Get an Alexa you take all the fun out of it.

Unless you train it to turn on everything when you say:

"By the power of Castle Greyskull, I HaaAAAAVEEE POOWEEEEEER"

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it'd be funny to have like a roomba or some robot vac rolling around, and hook up one of those little computers on top of it (rasperby pi or whatever) with a motion sensor and have it yell at people that got in its way.

"I'M ROLLIN' HERE!"

You could get those people to record voice lines for all your equipment.
Sadly you'd have to train a neuralnet to tell the difference between bipeds, chairs, benches, and walls. But I love it 😍
Maybe a heat sensor would help? Or just make everyone wear RFID tags and if they're in range "Move it Road Hog"

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score
Sadly you'd have to train a neuralnet to tell the difference between bipeds, chairs, benches, and walls. But I love it 😍
Maybe a heat sensor would help? Or just make everyone wear RFID tags and if they're in range "Move it Road Hog"
A robot yelling at chairs and benches would be annoying but hilarious too especially as it was bumping into them.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
A robot yelling at chairs and benches would be annoying but hilarious too especially as it was bumping into them.
It's funny for about 5 minutes, then it's more like a beep you just can't find.

annoyatron anyone?