Time for a new mill?

E

escopche

Reaction score
I have a 6 year old VHF that is having more and more issues in the last year. No major parts, wiring harnesses, collets, etc.. Lately it all the millings are rough and there seems to be no explanation. Is it time for an upgrade? Is Roland the best choice? I am a small lab only milling zirconia, wax, and PMMA

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
has anything changed in your milling in the last year? did you move it from a wood table to a steel table? has the air been fully dry? any blackouts in electricity? is it really hot in the lab?

E

escopche

Reaction score
Nothing has changed. It has been in the same spot the entire time. Air is good and no big swings in temp.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im guessing you havent taken the cover off and cleaned the rails and screw drives...? I bet you have debris thats causing it a rough ride.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Im guessing you havent taken the cover off and cleaned the rails and screw drives...? I bet you have debris thats causing it a rough ride.

Which is a reminder for me, its probably been about 6+ months.

E

escopche

Reaction score
Did that three weeks ago and no change. I take the cover off once a year and clean it. This time I cleaned and greased it per their instructions. They don't have an answer for the problem, so now it's "call us if it gets any worse":rolleyes:

user name

user name

Reaction score
Describe better when you say 'rough'.
It could be the mill has debris on the rails.
Could be worn burs and damp air are causing Zr dust to collect on the cutting flutes so its not cutting like a razor.
Could be wrong material selection in DB is telling the mill an incompatible material/ tool speed and feed rate.
Could be dirty chuck/tool shafts causing wobble.

E

escopche

Reaction score
This is what i'm getting

Attachments

• IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 90
user name

user name

Reaction score
How many hours on your burs? You trying to cut Zr with wax/pmma burs?

Pull out a 2mm and a 1mm bur and DONT wipe it off. Shoot a close pic and post it.

E

escopche

Reaction score
I put all new burs in it= same result
they are zirc burs

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
ahhh, i had this issue in a roland for a while. a few times actually.

its not any one thing, its a series of things. 1. it is related to CAM. it has been told to skip the fine milling stage, so recalculate. 2. the tools look to be incorrectly held so examine the collet, and the tool holders. 3. examine the USB cable and USB port your machine is connected to. long cables can corrupt data. faulty or dirty ports can as well.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
6 years is pretty good for that machine.i would look at the new Zirkonzahn machines they 2 new smaller mills that can mill wet and dry.

E

escopche

Reaction score

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 74
user name

user name

Reaction score
That first bur is Sooo worn! Looks like youve been grinding metal with it. The flutes look chipped.
Theyre also caked with dust. Your air isnt dry.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if you have an android phone I recommend going to the app store (google Play) and finding the Magnifier app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app2u.magnifier

then you can take much better pics of your tools if you have a teeny bit of photography skill. it will help you identify worn, chipped, and defunkt tools without guesswork.

examples of my own:

32302 32303 32304 32305

A

adl

Reaction score
if you have an android phone I recommend going to the app store (google Play) and finding the Magnifier app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app2u.magnifier

then you can take much better pics of your tools if you have a teeny bit of photography skill. it will help you identify worn, chipped, and defunkt tools without guesswork.

examples of my own:

View attachment 32302 View attachment 32303 View attachment 32304 View attachment 32305
That’s really cool

E

escopche

Reaction score
That first bur is Sooo worn! Looks like youve been grinding metal with it. The flutes look chipped.
Theyre also caked with dust. Your air isnt dry.
The 2mm has about 3 hrs in it and I am getting no chipping on the margins. The 1 mm is old and needs changed out. Also it makes no difference when I put new burs in.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
then it must be a CAM problem. try and roll back any updates you may have had, or add finishing passes if you have an unlocked cam suite.

Top Bottom