Time and units

L

labdude

Reaction score
I said I would time my acrylic lay up. That was tough. I get to involved and forget to look up!
Anyhow....Seems that 3 minutes is the fastest I go for 3 one color rets. Upper or lower. (thats for 3 appliances, units)
Maximum time before putting something under pressure is right around 6 1/2 minutes, maybe 7. And that is for a Bionator, or Splint. By maximum time, I mean if you go much longer, you may get porosity.

The break down of patterns I'm not sure about. I do 1 pattern appliance and 1 single color in the same lay up, then into the pressure pot.

Units is what I used to use for paying employees. Everything made a value assigned.Time to make and difficulty level used to figure the unit value. All my employees(don't have any now) were started out in training at a wage of 3 dollars over minimum wage. The unit method(piece work) was a goal to reach and allowed for a person to attain their highest level. If you didn't get on to units within 2 months, this wasn't the type of job for you. All successful employees made at least 14 dollars an hour, back in the early 90s.
Problem there is obvious, some start to produce not so nice units. Then you have to bring out the whip.

With that....I look at my day of work. Labial bow 1 unit, adams clasp 1 unit, 2 c clasp 1 unit, Bionator wires and wax up 20 units.
Acrylic....U or L 1 unit. Bionator 3 units. Splint 2 to 5 units.

This allows me to look at my tray of work and quickly figure the time it will take to do the days work.
On average, it takes me 5 minutes for a wire unit. It takes 10 minutes for an acrylic unit.

May the Unit Force be with you.
Mike.

Last edited:
trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Very interesting Mike. Smart way to really put a dollar to your time. It sounds like you are highly efficient.
It probably takes me about 10-15 minutes to create a labial bow and 4-b/c or adams. Do you used preformed labial bows? I don't. I would say it probably takes me 15 minutes to burr trim and polish a hawley. This is a rough guess. I usually do it assembly line as I am sure you all do. I can s&p 2 retainers at a time, really have not tried 3 at a time, too scared of porositie and time it would take to redo.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Trisha,
Only preformed thing I use is a ball clasp. Preformed wires will deform so easy upon removal and replacement by the patient. Etc.
Only way you will know about 3 at a time, try it. Use 3 old models and some plain pink or clear. Of course it's time and money to do this. You don't have to grind them outcompletely to check for porosity.
Research and Development.
As Cade and others have pointed out, they were taught a certain way to do a certain thing.
NOW, you guys are well experienced and ready to refine your techniques and abilities.
Not saying my way is the only way to great quality and good speed.
Refine your own methods, my posts here are just tid bits for you to try.

Look at it this way, years ago we got hold of the tecnology to make a V2 rocket.
We have refined that to what it is today. If we hadn't taken some risks and done some research and development, we'd still be sitting with a V2.

You want to hear something corny???? Sure you do!!!
BLAST OFF!!!
Mike.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
okay, that was corny.........

As for the unit idea, we do it in our lab, technicians are given a salary/hourly pay and expected to send out a certain amount of crowns/bridges a day. If they go over that expected amount then they get a bonus/unit pay. Nothing goes out the door without myself checking the quality and control, simple really, easy concept and manages your time very well, you'll know whether your behind or ahead of the game within a couple of hours of beginning. Works good if you got a bunch of employees.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
You are corny Mike, but that is part of your charm. I have a lot to learn about time management. Not having worked for a large lab, I missed out on a lot of ideas, thanks to Travis and ya'll I am learning new things daily. Sometimes I secretly think it would be a lot easier just to go to work for someone else at their lab, then I shake it off and say "whats a matter you" why give up a good thing? Guess it is not a secret anymore.

rs promotions

rs promotions

Reaction score
Labdude, Thanks for the time study and useful information. We are doing alot of research and devolopment.

Ron

Last edited: