TI Milling Coolant

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
My supplier, is out of milling coolant for titanium, does anyone know of a good source? Doesnt have to be dental, but I havent been able to find any good suppliers. Thanks!

G

grantoz

Reaction score
zirkonzahn sells coolant it works just right with their mills try that. ive tried others but they dont work as well.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
https://www.travers.com/category/diluted-coolant-cutting-fluids
I would call them up (if you're in the US, anyways) and ask them what's recommended or most popular specifically for titanium, or if they know of any frequently used for dental milling. I'm pretty sure most general-purpose cutting fluids will work fine, though.
If you're not American, find a local machinist's supply and ask them the same.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Also- if you're worried about compatibility, look at the MSDS sheets for both your standard coolant, and the one you're looking at buying. It won't list the proportions of ingredients, but it'll still list them, so you can make sure it's more or less the same thing. Most water-based coolants are fairly samey-samey, for what it's worth. Also compare the viscosities, if you can find the data on that, if you don't match that it could gum up the pump or otherwise not perform as intended, especially if your mill doesn't give you a ton of control over coolant jet placement. The VHF S5 we have gives you exactly zero control over the coolant placement or pressure, so I know you'd need a good product match in that regard.
My last (non-dental) CNC shop used a lot of Rustlick, the economy-grade stuff, but we were doing lighter-duty steel and aluminium, not heavy production work on tough alloys.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I will just order some from Imes to be on the safe side, Im not sure why I didnt look there before. I will definitely check out travers, thank for the tip.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
All things dental are marked up 10x from other industries, so if you can figure out which product it is, exactly, that's being repackaged, relabelled and priced with an extra zero at the end, you can save a bundle. The tricky part is doing the matching, of course. And machinist's suppliers conveniently carry at least half of everything that's getting rebranded and marked up.
Coolant is a bit nerve-wracking for the viscosity etc subtleties of substituting, but tooling is one of the easier things to do this with- I bought 4mm shank carbide end mills from Travers at literally 1/10th the price Argen was charging for ~genuine Roland~ and it performs identically. I'm gonna give a full spread of coated micro ball mills a try soon, if they're satisfactory for our day-to-day work we could save a bundle every year.

Top Bottom